Index Controller loose tracking with Pimax 5K+

What version of PT and what firmware are you using? I got my index controllers the week before alyx came out, at the time I was using .255 and non beta firmware. Now im on the 144hz firmware and .258.

I’ll try rolling firmware back tonight, but I doubt that will fix it. I cannot run pitool below .255 or else I get judder so that’s my only choice sans .144

Hey!

Pimax 5k+ 203 series
LH 1.0 (x2)
Valve Index Controllers

Intel i7-2700k
RTX2080
16gb DDR3

I’m watching my specs all the time. There’s no correlation between a spike in performance and the tracking issue. GPU, CPU and Memory wise I mean.

I wouldn’t do that just based on what we don’t know so far, but it’s your call.

As for me i have had my ICs since Sept. I run them with V1 base stations. I have used them with Pitool 180, 197, 245, 249 and 258. I returned to 249 because I lost several fps with 258. My bases are elevate 8ft diagonally at 12 ft apart slightly angled down to my center play space.
My Pimax is a 203

I run Win 10 Home. My system specs are: Intel I5 6600K @4.5 OC, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GAMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080TI Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 4 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, Logitec Momo racing wheel, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers chair, Pimax 5K+, Oculus Rift. Vive.
FWIW

Pimax 5k+ 203 series
LH 1.0 (x2)
Valve Index Controllers (originally bought mine in nov)
SteamVR 1.10.32
Pimax FW: .255
PiTool: .258

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHZ
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SEA HAWK X (OC)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2400mhz
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97
Liquid Cooler: Corsairs H100i
Sound Card: Sound BlasterX AE-5

Same issues with tracking…no matter what i do.
seems only fixed when plugging my controller to my PC…
went through 3 left index controllers and 4 right ones.

Def the headset, been happening to me since i got them.

1 Like

Pimax 5k+ 203 series
LH 1.0 (x2)
Valve Index Controllers purchased this month from Valve (march 2020)
SteamVR 1.10.32
Pimax FW: .255
PiTool: .258

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RTX 2070 super, MSI Ventus
Ram: 16 GB 3200Mhz DDR4
Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming plus, have used external USB for the HMD as well
Sound Card: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, though normally off during VR use

Obviously I haven’t had the controllers long, since I’ve just recently received them before the release of Alyx. I first noticed this issue in skyrim, have adjusted my BS physically, blocked all reflective surfaces, played with USB etc. Confident that this is an issue with pimax software/hardware

1 Like

That’s not what I said. The point there was like here that issue also only affected some people.

It’s so strange, because to me just like stutter I could reproduce it on multiple machines. Obviously you’re correct though, others didn’t have the stutter issue too. Luckily when we all posted our system configs and moaned for months pimax fixed the issue though, and I’m actually very confident they can again.

Pimax is like a rollercoaster for me, I’ve had maybe a couple solid months with it, otherwise bad luck. But i will say when support comes around and fixes a major issue, it makes me love the damn thing.

2 Likes

I feel you. I have been pretty lucky although I was an RMA for cracks early on and I even had to RMA my ICs after a week for a wandering left stick. My experience otherwise has been great.
The thing that I find laughable to this day was back after what was know as the Trainwreck that was CES 2018 the then Marketing Director assured us that all backers would receive the same headsets as the retail release. 202 203 and 204 illustrate the accuracy of that. I don’t think even the retail customers all got the same headsets. :rofl:

Woah, Same thing happens to me. I thought that maybe my playspace had a blind spot.

We should troll the steam forums to see if its a Alyx issue or a pimax issue or a PEBCAH issue.

PS ( P )roblem (E)xists (B)etween (C )ontrollers (A)nd (H)eadset.

1 Like

Played ALYX for 14 hours now without issue. 6 consecutive. I’m retired and play for hours many days. I have had no issues with PEBCAH in these titles

Oculus Home list:
Island 359
A-Tech Cybernetic
Asgard’s Wrath
Lone Echo
In Death (many long sessions)
Robo Recall
The Climb
From Other Suns

Steam VR list:
Alien Isolation
ALYX
Arizona Sunshine
BONEWORKS (many long sessions)
Dead Effect 2 VR
Fallout 4 VR
Gorn
Let’s Bowl
No Man’s Sky
Rush
Skyrim VR
Sports Bar VR
The Golf Club VR

3 Likes

@eight.one I get exactly the same thing, but it’s random. Some nights nothing at all, everything normal like tonight.

Index controllers
latest pitool

1 Like

I can’t validate PT 258 as I didn’t use it very long with my ICs before removing it.

I have opened a ticket with Pimax. Looks like Doman Chen will investigate. I’ll keep you posted as we go :slight_smile:

7 Likes

When you turn on only “one” controller it works well, but when both are on it is when the problems start, it is as if you could not manage both due to lack of bandwidth/power in the radio, or you just simply an error in the pimax software.

Beat Saber and Alyx is perfect for tested. (and a frustrating experience until it is fixed)

5k+ 203 LHv1(x2)
All pitools same issue, and FWs from 197, and now last pit and fw 258/260

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that when my controllers start to glitch, I can make them stop by moving them really close to the HMD. can anybody confirm this behaviour ? it’s really easy in alyx for me, as when they start to glitch, the vibrate just a tad every time.

3 Likes

I have same issue after playing for around 2 hours, the index controllers start glitching around.
5k+ 202, LH 1.0 (x2)

Doman Chen collected a bunch of informations. I linked 3 threads of this forum to him for reference. He will talk to the R&D Team and get back to me.

8 Likes

Thank you for communicating the problem to the team, I’m hoping we get a fix!

2 Likes

Anyone having problem. Help us resolve this issue by posting your specs here. Just copy/paste first post :wink:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/tracking-issues-april-2020/26759

5 Likes

I’m also having this issue, despite eliminating literally all possible interference sources that valve support suggested.
I also started to get weaker tracking with my vive wands too as the software’s updated over time

Specs: 5k+ (s/n:203), pitool 1.0.1.258, hmd 2.1.255.255, tracking:2x LH1.0, win 10 1903, cpu: ryzen 2700x, mobo: gigabyte aorus x470 ultra, ram: 2x16gb corsair dominator@2666mhz, gpu: RTX2080, gpu driver: 442.74, steamvr: latest as of this post