Index causing problems

The windows install iso’s are pretty easy to find via torrents and different places, the images themselves arent illegal its only the activation methods that are but if you have a cdkey or hardware id then you need not worry and you can use any install image, if you do decide to take this task on you would first need to discover what version of windows you’re running by right clicking start button then select settings/system/about then download the more recent or older version the latest two are 1909 then 1903. Use the tool ‘rufus’ to image a thumbdrive suitable to boot with the downloaded iso and away you go.

To be clear i’m not saying this will be your solution, just from a technician’s standpoint this would simply be one part of my process of elimination along with the different driver sources etc. We know the problem is specific to your hardware so unless there is some component failing or malfunction from defect thats causing your system to crash then theoretically it can be fixed with drivers/software

i would curiously try disabling your bluetooth drivers/device in windows alltogether via device manger and see if you can still get it to crash.

I’ll give that a go this afternoon when I get home, thanks man

1 Like

It is motherboard specific. Generally, you press a key like F2 or Del during the boot process and instead of running Windows, your system enters a BIOS configuration mode. Great care must be used when changing settings, since a misconfigured system might not run. Generally there is a way to restore the original BIOS settings, but that might involve shorting pins or removing the CMOS backup battery.

While none of this is particularly hard, you must know what you are doing and what to do if the system fails to boot. In particular, it would be best to have the manual for your motherboard. If you don’t have one, you can often find it on your motherboard manufacturer’s website.

Here is some more information:

3 Likes

I know that Ellik8101 said he even tried underclocking, but I wonder if there’s a part which is failing under high loads.

Power supply maybe?

2 Likes

Yes, but I think he only underclocked his video card…

What he’s describing sounds somewhat similar to the problems I was having with an ASUS gaming motherboard which automatically overclocks the main system clock (BCLK).

2 Likes

With Hard drive in your bios see if smart monitoring is on.

Have you tried memtest on your RAM or test with different memory sticks/config?

1 Like

I know how to reset it with the CMOS battery, I just didn’t know you could overclock your motherboard

1 Like

If the certification is low (Less than silver or bronze) could that be the issue?

1 Like

My other computer would have my steamvr games freeze and even resetting steamvr, pitool, the HMD, it wouldn’t go away, just stuck frozen on the last image, not moving at all. Could be reset by restarting the computer but would consistently happen again, almost immediately. This was fixed by underclocking my memory and GPU clock via MSI Afterburner. Keep in mind, this is on my secondary computer, that’s why I gave it a go on my primary computer, but it seemed to have no effect

1 Like

Time for backing all of your file and do a OS reinstall. I suffer from none of your issues

I’ll try memtest. I don’t have spare RAM to try either. Where would I find smart monitoring under?

1 Like

I’ve reinstalled windows a few times in the past few weeks trying to get this working. Reinstalling the OS does nothing to fix the problem

No. If the power supply is multi-rail, low wattage, old, or defective (it happens), that could be the problem.

One way to test that would be to use a GPU core burner application in combination with Prime95 small FFT. That should cause maximum power draw on the system (though not foolproof - some operations can be more sensitive to dirty power).

Toggling a space heater on/off while doing this can also help determine whether the power supply is sensitive to power quality issues while running at maximum load. Just don’t run both the space heater and computer like that for long periods of time, in case it may be a bit much for the household wiring…

3 Likes

I might look into that. Could you explain a little more detail what I have to do with those programs?

I have an LED strip, both basestations, my PC, monitor and my 5K all running from powerpoints near each other in the same room, would this be an issue?

what I have to do with those programs?

Just run them. A GPU core burner and Prim95 doing small FFT both require very little memory transfer, and a lot of arithmetic, so these programs push the system to use as much power as possible, to the point of thermal throttling even with the best air coolers.

I have an LED strip, both basestations, my PC, monitor and my 5K all running from powerpoints near each other in the same room, would this be an issue?

Doubtful. The LED strip, if it is on the order of 100W or so, and makes lots of electrical noise, possibly, but unlikely. Usually you need to draw enough power to make the voltage on the line sag from perhaps 120V to 100V, and this is not likely to happen without drawing maybe 1500W from a poorly connected plug with poor wiring.

Reportedly, that basically did happen at CES though.

4 Likes

That sounds a lot like what consistently triggered my blue-screen issue. I was running Folding@Home on both my CPU and GPU. It turns my PC into a space-heater. :laughing: That’s why I never run it in hot weather.

I’ve got a fairly new, quality power supply, so I don’t think that was my problem, but overclocking does add an additional strain on the power.

1 Like

Is F&H a diagnostic program or is it just intense?

1 Like

It’s an app to help scientists fight diseases (like cancer and Covid-19) and yes, it’s intense.

https://foldingathome.org/

2 Likes