Improve Immersion on any VR Headset By Adjusting World Scale!

I’ve noticed different world scale depending on the headset. Also, it’s not necessarily height but your “size.” You of course have to calibrate as you noted so you’re not floating above the ground. The ground is still the ground.

2 Likes

If you need to change the “world scale” to “improve your immersion”, then something is not right, or even quite a bit not right. Otherwise your immersion should be defined by the optics (design) which you cannot do much about, or the warping (undistortion function), which can be potentially improved by implementing a better algorithm (but not the scale).

The optic properties define the “robustness” of the design, for example the system can be more or less prone to distortion if the eye relief of the person deviates from the optimal value, used for the design. Or the lenses can be more or less forgiving when keeping you in focus, etc.

The warping (undistortion function) is responsible for creating the correct angular representation of the render.

Both together then contribute to the verity of the 3D perception, and consequently to the immersion. Neither one relates or should depend on “scale” though.

4 Likes

love this dudes videos.

2 Likes

It seems Valve has recognized a flaw in there platform to have added World scale and/or perhaps game DeV issues creating issues.

Sheesh guy. He got to the point it was a SVR setting feature in under a minute. By that mark you know what he is going to talk about and already knew the vid was under 4 min long. You probably spent more time than that in composing your post. If your time is that valuable you might have just moved on down the road. I found the succinctness of the vid refreshing.
As you say, Just a personal opinion" :smiley:

4 Likes

Well done, unlike the person my comment was directed to, you’ve missed the point. Thanks for letting me know.

The problem is (as I tried to point out in my previous post) that the “world immersion” does depend on factors which are related to the headsets only (optics, warping). So it is possible that this option is an attempt to remedy some problems, but those problems are related to particular headsets (not the OpenVR alone).

Plus if those problems are headset related they probably should be fixed at the headset (driver) level, not on a global (OpenVR) level, because they affect (or not) each headset differently.

On the other hand, if there is a game which does have a problem with the scale then the global “world scale flag” is not a best way to address it either.

So in either case I believe this option is misplaced, and I wonder if we will ever know what were Valve’s intention (or reasons) to implement it this way.

2 Likes

Hi,
I have tried this with my Index in MSFS and I like it.
Thank you @NextGenVR !

2 Likes

Agreed if not mistaken if memory serves I think HellBlade Asuna has an option in game to adjust world scale.

With immersion I agree though some might say that is individual as well as some do not seem to notice the scale being off. While some do and say it affects there perceived immersion.

So many terms often seem to be used in different context to maybe how it is intended to be used. Ie remember the Sweet spot deviation.

You didn’t PM the party you directed your comment to but instead posted in the open thread, so basically you wanted everyone to know how “wound up” you were over your time being “wasted”.
I certainly did not miss your point " I don’t want to have to waste time watching content to work out if that content is a waste of my time to watch" over a vid that exposed what the content was about in the first minute.
Your response to me, not bothering to explain why you feel I missed your point, tells me you didn’t miss my point. It wasn’t intend to enlighten me.

Don’t bother to respond. You’d be wasting your time and I want you to get that 4 minutes back.

3 Likes

I love you.

<3

Why are you so offended?

Not offended. Just thought you were wasting your own time. Why tell me I missed your point and not explain how you feel I had done that? You basically posted nothing that would indicate you wished me to understand the point you feel I missed. Isn’t that a waste of time?

I wasn’t looking to offend you either. You make a perfectly valid point about videos that waste a lot of our time. Just felt this under 4 min vid didn’t meet that criteria. On the contrary. No sweat. :smiley:

3 Likes

IMO it’s clear you were trying to needle me

Sheesh guy

You probably spent more time than that in composing your post

If your time is that valuable you might have just moved on down the road

you wanted everyone to know how “wound up” you were over your time being “wasted”.

Don’t bother to respond. You’d be wasting your time and I want you to get that 4 minutes back.

This is not the way you phrase things when you are trying to be civil, or when you are trying to have a good-faith discussion. We can disagree on that if you like, but to me, it’s clear.

If you had said “In my opinion, at 4 minutes, there’s no significant time being wasted by watching … in fact you only really need to watch about the first 60 seconds to make your decision.” then I would have responded more meanigfully and would have happily explained “the point” to you and we could have politely discussed it. This is why I used a public forum rather than a PM. So anyone could discuss / disagree with my point.

But you didn’t. So I felt no obligation to explain it more fully to you.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Covid has a lot of people on Edge in Canada.

1 Like

New Pimax VR Project
Please watch the photo inside the piece

It has Eye resolution and 210 FOV

Visore VR grande come un paio di occhiali? I Facebook Reality Labs mostrano gli ultimi progressi | DDay.it

I MADE A MISTAKE
THE GLASSES ARE MADE BY FACEBOOK!

I thought "sheesh was quite civil. Needling? I felt it was more of a ribbing. I made fun of you spending so much time lamenting the waste of time. Seemed somewhat ironic.
Enough time wasted on this.

6 Likes

Interesting, by chance do you have a link in English?

Or can you post a summary?

1 Like

No i do not have an english link. This is a summary into English:

This glasses use Pancake lenses called “Polarization Folded Optics”

They are lenses using screen with circle polarization to have a compact system

where the light issued by the screen bounces between two lenses

changing every time the direction of polarization

The most important issue is ghosting .

To solve ghosting, The innovation of Facebook have been to develop optical components

made by liquid crystal cholesteric that works as reflecting polarizers

The prototype has a resolution of 1,1 arcmin

next to the human eye resolution of 1 arcmin

and a 210 FOV with compact design

3 Likes

Considering the photo and the illustrations the FOV is more like 90° than 210°, so probably something got lost in translation.

3 Likes

Sounds interesting. I presume though this isn’t utilizing there half dome which iirc dropped from 140 to 120? At last press.