Idea for custom fitted foam pad for HMD

I was considering cost if someone were to buy it for themselves, I would have no (immediate)need for any leftover and the cost would go solely to this one piece. This is the same reason I couldn’t do the Vive thumbstick mod(conductive filament cost).

1 Like

That’s not bad price. There is a shop in Toronto that sells 3drint supplies & has a scanner.

Boy the troubles of being a VR early adopter. We are all cursed.

1 Like

By that I meant that, regardless of IPD, you will need that same foam to achieve the best visual experience. Comfort (ie squished nose) is a separate matter and will require some compromise with visuals.

I am not suggesting this as the end-all-be-all of face foams. It is a way to find the best custom foam for you.

For example, you could have 10 varieties of face-shape foam and a bunch of spacers. You try them out and say “I want face-shape D and 6mm of spacers”. You combine the CAD files of those foams and then have it printed out for you. Later you can let someone else try it to find the right foam for them.

So it ends up being more of a prescription tool than anything else (with the option to use it as-is). It is NOT the sort of thing you want to pull out at a party when there are ten people waiting in line to use the headset.

EDIT: If your goal is expediency, then your idea of using a bunch of foam presets would probably better. You aren’t generally going to give people the best experience but you could at least give them a good experience. For example, you could expect to have your face shape or depth off by a bit but still perform better than the default foam.

1 Like