I was charged a $219 VAT for the 8KX in Europe AFTER I received it

I also got an email today asking for £229.21. Was given 2 options…pay Fedex or pay Pimax. So i opted to contact Fedex. I made an account and spoke to customer service to ask to see the invoice to pay the VAT bill.
The customer service agent said that according to the shipping note they have on file associated with the tracking number, there was nothing on my side to pay and that the seller should pay the bill.

On the tracking note which she sent me by mail, says:
“T/C S 122002209
D/T S 122002209”
Customer service agent said that if i was to pay, then there should be an “R” after the T/C on the label (probably means Recipient).

So I can’t pay Fedex and have no faith paying the portal system directly to Pimax.

What to do?

6 Likes

This is hilarious! So from my point of view, Pimax has payed all of this already and now hopes that we pay them back. This email is then just a plain lie…

2 Likes

Does that mean i don’t get my backer box with base stations now?

1 Like

I recieved the eyetracking on monday, so i suppose this is also just a threat to make us pay. If there would be an open fee to pay, then it shouldn’t have arrived. I guess it is just Pimax now refusing to deliver any further packages then.

I just don’t know what so say about all this…

The way I read the mail they threaten to not ship anything further unless you pay them the VAT fee.
This leads me to an interesting dilemma - pay 220 bucks or lose a KDMAS for 100 that is not a big drama if using DAS after all.

Haha, i will also get the backer box but don’t know what to do with it, since i already got the sleeve and using the DAS :rofl:

After @asimc pointed out, that there is nothing to be payed, I also created a fedex account and called them. You don’t believe this:

1. There is NO additional VAT or fee to be payed by me! I can’t even order an invoice to pay the money Pimax is asking for!

Referring to the email “P.S. Please inform us about your payment if you have paid to FedEx (better and prefer to ) or Pimax.)”

1. Everything has been already payed by Pimax according to the informations THEY filled in on the waybill. They declared that THEY are paying the VAT and fees! (As one would expect)
  2. The email from Pimax says

"To ensure fast and smooth delivery FedEx has delivered your package with limited customs clearance but it is important to note that your package has generated a VAT Tax and as a result has an outstanding balance in the amount of $(274.12). "

According to my new information, this is wrong. Everything has been payed and there is no outstanding balance.

The way i see this: I got nothing to do here! @PimaxQuorra

8 Likes

I have to admit I haven’t read every post on this thread so not sure what’s been covered but for as long as I can remember Pimax quite clearly state on their website that the price excludes taxes.

I was expecting VAT and got a bill from FedEx for £250 for it. What I wan’t expecting though was an additional £150 ‘Import Duty’ and another £12 ‘processing fee’!!

1 Like

After reading this I checked my invoice for my Kickstarter order

Pimax has added the Stretch Goal Box as a separate addition item, valued at $210 for me as I am also expecting base stations.

But why add this when this should be included in the Full Package, and the stretch goals are gifts!
I havent paid Pimax $210 for the Stretch Goal Box! Only the postage!
This is going to cause a nightmare with customs!

6 Likes

I would have not been suspicious if i got a proper invoice, a proper email without numerous spelling and formatting mistakes, and a headsup what fees and VAT i am going to face. I calculated the VAT myself and bought the 8KX based on that. Nobody said anything about more than double this amount! This is clearly Pimax’s fault, for messing up shipping with FedEx and no transparency of the cost. I am pretty sure there is no legal foundation for charging us additional fees that have already been payed.

@bigo93 they do this, so they can charge us these fees, import taxes and so on again for the backer box. Simple as that.

1 Like

I would not be this upset, if the email would have been honest. Or if these to be expected taxes would have been forwarded to me, BEFOR the confirmation of the sale/transaction. I cannot remember any statement for import fees.

I checked my invoice again and there it says nothing about that, only VAT: *Price Exclude VAT" is written there and what i expected to pay, after a proper invoice from Pimax or FedEx.

1 Like

Ask Fed Ex for a breakdown of the charges.

Apparently Pimax are also using a HS number which isnt recognised, so people are being charged extra as FedEx use a default code instead.
You’ll have to then create a support ticket for Pimax to contact FexEx to lower the charges.

But £250 for the 8KX headset sounds about right to me, but better to make sure

I haven’t payed the full price, therefore my expected VAT was about 120€. Pimax is asking double the amount.

The email was not sent by FedEx, which is withholding my parcel because of unpayed charges or so. I got the 8KX about 4 weeks ago! The email (it is in fact a comment on the order/store page) is from Pimax and there is just this number floating arround without any overview what taxes and fees are leading to this number. They could just make us pay anything! (sidenote: they also tell me to pay this 2 weeks after delivery at latest…after 4 weeks…)

I got all the data from FedEx regarding payed import taxes and VAT and guess what: It is less than Pimax is demanding!!!

2 Likes

if they announced in the online shop that its without VAT then they might have a legal claim, its only in germany or europe that you need to give the numbers before paying - afair it pretty normal to have prices without VAT in the US as it depends even inside the US how high the VAT is (but i might be wrong here, not 100% sure)
i guess they made a mistake when sending off the batch and got billed (by surprise) from FedEx
now they need to collect the money them self from the customer and if the customer rejects the claim they will need to have a legal battle in the customers country - might be expansive
pretty normal to expect they stop making further business with a customer who is not paying his bills, to pay VAT is not unexpected or unannounced if it was shown when ordering

btw. for eye tracking it was similar, they billed $99 (backer) and $25 for shipping, i got the unit and about 2-3 weeks later i got a bill from FedEx with claims for VAT, Import duty and a nice extra fee from FedEx for paying up front to customs authority’s instead of waiting for the customer to clear the bill and then sending the goods to the customer - much easier for Pimax to outsource that VAT and import bill to a professional that has lawyers and can make pressure in the customers country - i had no objections about VAT and import duty but FedEx own fee was unexpected and i did not see any financial reasonable way to fight the later one so i payed all. It was not FedEx’s fault that Pimax also outsourced the extra money unannounced, it was a hidden delivery fee and in my country that would not be allowed but try to have a legal fight for that in china with a chinese company …

unprofessional? and yes we already knew

1 Like

see my post above, my FexEx bill (for eye tracking) also had a extra FedEx fee for directly paying and in case of the eye tracking uint it was nearly 100% of what VAT and import duty was, i dont know how FedEx calculates it (its a risk and they may have to collect the claim even from broke people) maybe its always 80-90% of the VAT/duty fee as long as its below $xx.xxx ?
edit:
i checked the numbers it was
13,68€ EuSt./Import VAT (thats the normal 16% VAT for Germany, so no extra duty for luxury or similar)
12,50€ + 2,00€ - “Vorlageprovision” (german word) aka paying for the customer (sorry bad english) incl. VAT (the 2€ are the 16% VAT for the 12,50€)

the extra fee was even >100% then the VAT bill - for a 10 times more expansive article like the 8kx it depeds on how FedEx makes this number

Ok then, i am willing to pay the VAT as stated in the invoice. But not numerous hidden fees and charges! I mean, you can’t suddenly demand double the amount of money and say it was written on the store page. No, it wasn’t…

Nice, so i can expect to recieve the same thing again for my eyetracking…great! Again, i would not be this upset if they told us before about the duties and fees, not just the VAT.

2 Likes

Some miss from Fedex but you can pay it direct to fedex, Fedex should have sent you a invoice before it got delivered.

I too got the same e-mail from Pimax, and opted to pay via my FedEx account (which I only opened for the purpose of tracking this delivery). I’ve sent off the authorisation, but the charge hasn’t actually come through yet.

When I saw that the advertised price explicitly excluded tax, I didn’t think “Great! I won’t have to pay tax!”. I thought “I wonder how I will end up being charged the tax?”. The days when governments might not have bothered chasing taxes on low-volume imports are mostly past, unfortunately.

And in the end I am grateful that FedEx delivered my 8KX to me straight away and then chased Pimax about it, rather than holding the parcel in bond until I had handed over the money.

4 Likes

Ok, just to be absolutely clear here about the basic rule of trade: import taxes DO apply on importing any goods into a trade zone as much as local taxes on rading goods in that zone would.

Thus import taxes exactly reflect the VAT for domestic goods. E.g. In case of Germany it is 16% of the commercial value - which, unfortunately, also includes shipping costs.

So, pull the SO add whatever your local VAT is and be prepared to swallow that pill.

This is NOT customs or duties but local tax, a fee the country we all live in have decided to put on trade items and hence completely beyond control, responsibility, and blame of Pimax or any international retailer for that matter.

What they DO have control over is how to handle it, though. As an international seller it is absolutely legit to advertise and sell EXCLUDING TAX. In this case tax gets collected by customs on import. This however, aggravates doorstep delivery and either implies handling charges with the courier or running the customs on personal pickup. In either case you will be left with an official invoice on the tax paid to be used for your tax declaration.

Alternatively a seller can collect the taxes on purchase (e.g. this is what you will see happen if you purchase on Amazon US - and soon UK - from Europe or vice versa). However in this case the reseller is obliged to issue and provide a proper commercial invoice stating the deductable tax must mandatory be provided. So in case you are entitled to deduct pre-tax (B2B/retailer or business with VAT ID) can properly file this with your tax declaration and or can prove tax deduction with customs if in doubt.

Funnily enough, Pimax initially opted for that route to pre-collect import taxes but refrained after customer complains based on the hope their headset might sneak through customs. Btw. this resembles an act of smugglery or tax fraud, whatever term tastes better to you.

No matter how, Pimax has (once again and apparently based on lack of experience with international trade) have committes to sell on the former option but down the road decided to arrange shipment with advance custom clearance with FedEx which basically again reflects option 2 as FedEx basically pays the tax at customs on import up front to reclaim it with the sender, not receiver.

These taxes will exactly correspond to the local VAT of the commercial value invoiced on the attached proforma. So, for one it is important it to not include any goods to be sent after (i.e. DMAS). We’ll see how accurate this goes.

Secondly, handling charges should be understood NOT transferrable - if Pimax decided to take that route (even if it is in our favour) and is now facing unexpected costs this is absolutely their problem. In any case choice of handling if any MUST be optional even more so since most charges (i.e DHL) are straight out brazen (e.g. if you pick up a shipment at customs in person you pay no handling charges as you are “handling” it)

With all this being said and Pimax refraining from charging unjust additional fees by all means, I want to express that recursively claiming the taxes should be agreed upon as unusual but acceptable practice on forgiving with their lack of experience.

Again, this applies to the taxes ONLY and also EXCLUSIVELY on togehter with the claim providing a legit, commercial invoice with the corresponding local taxes, calculated on base of the actual commercial value of that particular SO, explicitly and reproducibly listed.

(Adding to that, it will be very interesting to see what happens in regards to my shipment currently underway as it is routed my office address. Not only do we have a FedEx account and international shipments on a daily basis but also a customs clearance agreement with them so they will always clear customs and put any charges against our account independently of the sender. So, in case taxes cleared already are charged a second time this would inevitably trigger a tax fraud investigation inquiry filed with the financial department by our accounts and payables)

6 Likes

First of all, thank you for clearing things up a bit :wink:

Right. Because everything else would be hidden charges that were not declared as such during the order or payment.