I really don't have a clue what to do with PE. Don't know were to start

I moved my original post to this section. Perhaps someone with more knowledge, on this end can help me ghet started

OK folks, I jsut wanted to clarify. Eventualy, the PE will set stuff for us automagicaly.

I played around with it a little bit last night, ended up with a headache trying to adjust my IPD and stuff.
Will there be something, that will set this up for us? Will I need the eye tracking to do so.?

I could never get a good image on my 5k+. It was always stuttering when turning my head, as well as a fairly shimmery image. If I tried to adjust it clearer, it would cause more stuttering with frame rate issues.

I have a pretty powerful system I think. i9900,RTX2080Ti,32GB RAM.Win 10 Pro.
I was/am confused even after reading all these posts how to setup with PE or PiTool or Steam VR…I don’t exactly know how to correlate them. Yes, i have read the threads discussing this.

I just want to put on my 8KX, start P3D v5 or DCS…and enjoy the great experience playing these sims…as many of you have already experienced.

Right now I’m not there as of yet. Hopefully PE will help resolve a lot of my confusion and setup.
If these are not implemented yet, I can wait till they to get implemented.

I don’t know if I’m supposed to go into SteamVR and do stuff…or does PE take care of this for me.

I’ve read so many things from you very talented folks…my heads about to explode, trying to understand everything.

perhaps, Sweviver video will cover everything I just asked. I just want to have some fun like the rest of you folks.

Not related to pimax experience - but your stuttering is probably due to the pitool version. I have three setups, all have stuttering issues unless I use the correct PT.

.258 and on are fantastic on my high power PC
.255 is the only usable pitool on my laptop with the 5k+. otherwise I stutter hard. If you’re really facing stutter issues, use .255. You will lose some FPS compared to the newest versions, but I think it’s the most stable they’ve ever made.

2 Likes

Hi Thall, Thank You. I’m using the latest version of PiTool and the firmware update for the 8KX.

The studdering etc, was referring to in the past my seemingly inability to get things tweaked properly with my 5K+

Was using as a reference, in my query of PE, and how it can help me overcome my lack of tweaking knowledge.
David

Agree with @Thall about PT version.

Also I don’t know P3D but I did run DCS OK on the 5k+ with the same hardware as you, and just with setting the VR preset in the game options. It would mostly keep 45FPS except in really demanding locations (eg complex airports, lot of buildings at low altitude etc)

To do this I was running PT 2.0, SteamVR at 0.25 (but PT 1.0 and SVR Auto is an easy option), plus FFR On and Motion Smoothing On. What settings did you run? Without FFR and Motion Smoothing set to on, getting a smooth framerate would take a hell of a lot of complex tweaking.

PE will allow you to tweak both Pi Tool and SVR settings directly in VR in a single interface without taking off your headset. It will, at some point in the future, have cloud settings, where it can automate the best options, or allow you to use someone else’s settings, but that isn’t implemented just yet.

I just want to cover the basics: DCS runs like crap in VR. Period.
You can get ‘decent’ settings out of it, but, as far as I know, you’ll never get ‘good’. I believe it’s another ‘single threaded’ application that doesn’t use multicore cpu’s properly. At least, that’s how I understand it. I’ve got a better system than you do and I can’t run top settings on my 5k+ either. There are a bunch of tips on how to make it better, but we’re trying to squeeze things to their limits. It’s just not written worth a crap.
Same with Xplane11, unfortunately. We have hopes for the new MS Flight sim, but VR support won’t be until near the end of the year.

Note: I fly/crash helicopters, which means that I want ground clutter (buildings, roads, etc) which really has an impact on performance. If you’re flying fixed wings, you spend most of your time looking at the ground from a long distance so the ‘ground clutter’ isn’t as important to you. Which means that you can run higher settings with less ground clutter. For me, performance on both sims sucks.

1 Like

Check out SweViver’s video about it:

Basically it’s an in-headset PiTool with extras… :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Thank You Dr. Wiilkins. This should help. I’m jsut trying to figure out what I need to set, and how to set it for my games and sims.
David

2 Likes

One thing, it’s not a tutorial video so doesn’t explain what settings to use. I think that’s coming.

All this shows is that the settings which used to be adjusted in either PiTool or SteamVR can now be directly adjusted in VR via the Pimax Experience instead. You still need to know what it is you want to set.

1 Like

I understand your dilemma. First of all kudos to Swevivor and Armin for a job well done.
However I was expecting something different. Not their fault.
First page all your specs and headset.
Second page game you wish to play. Third page suggested settings and activation or modify.
Perhaps in the future they’ll look after us dummies.

Yep, just watched it. Didn’t answer too many questions for me right now. But that’s OK. I know eventually I’ll get it.

If I could have an example to folow on how to effeciently use the tool…that would help.

For instance, yes i know the VR is not real good…but I still want to set up P3D v5 to fly some planes.

But, let’s use DCS for example. I don’t have DCS steam, so do I need to import the exe for DCS.
Or is it already in PE. I know that is one of Sweviver fav programs. However, I could not seem to find it. So, after import, is there some automagic setting for DCS, or do I need to tweak a bunch of stuff.

I’m still trying to get my IPD adjusted as well. Is this one of those things that will be implemented in a coming release. Or am I missing the section on how to set up my IPD. Am I supposed to be something on the screen to help me adjust?

Personally, I feel the IPD stuff should be one of the main focus areas. Mainly because, if you don’t have a proper IPD setup in the headset…the rest of the goodies just make it a trial of frustration.

I would like to see the focus on getting your IPD setup, then get your framerate and clarity afterwards.

Just my thoughts. To me what good does it do to have some cool automatic setup profiles, if your IPD isn’t correct.

This is what I’m trying to do with my 8KX…get my IPD setup first. Right now, obviously I’m doing stuff wrong, as I can’t get things quite focused. I know eventually I’ll get there.

Lastly, if I didn’t say it before. My deepest appreciation to Sweviver and Armin for this great utility.

Thank You for your devotion to giving us the best VR experience we can have with our Pimax.
David

1 Like

I am still trying to figure the PE out and I made some progress. Here is what I did to get my non-steam ED up and running.

1. Log in to my Steam account
  2. Add a non-steam game at the bottom (Library tab)
  3. Add both ED exe and ED Launcher exe
  4. Start PiTool with PE (1.0.2.084)
  5. Untick-tick Start Pimax VR home. This will launch PE inside 8kx
  6. Go to SteamVR. Both ED exe should be there
  7. Go to Profiles - load and edit both ED profiles, save them. I have PT=1.5, SS=ON, PP=ON, Brightness=-2, Contrast=+2, rest=default. Repeat for SteamVR profile.
  8. Go to Advanced. From top drop down menu select Manual SteamVR Optimization
  9. Set SS=50%, maxResolution=16384, FALSE, 2000. Save and load
  10. Go to SteamVR games and click on ED Launcher
  11. Make sure ED Launcher profile and SteamVR profiles are applied in the drop down menus
  12. Click Play in VR
  13. Since my ED is non-steam I have to start the ED launcher and then lift my 8kx a bit so I can see my desktop and manually click PLAY button in the Launcher window to start the game. I might try Virtual Desktop to solve this.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I hear ya bob. I’m always blown away at the knowledge of the VR users on this site. i wish I had jsut a small bit of the info they have. I would gladly trade some of my professional flying experience for that small amount of knowledge.

As mentioned, we’ll get there. I really like your idea of the page step by step…that is pretty cool. Would be like a Wizard thingy…cool idea. Definitely start with IPD, Again to me, that is more important than SS settings etc.
David

1 Like

Thanks mobo. When you say ED, is that a game? You guys like to use more acronym than I do flying the Boeing. :slight_smile: Ah memory kicked in…that is that space game? something Dangerous?
David

1 Like

How about a test pattern within PE. Some of us remember the old TV test pattern.
Adjust IPD up 2steps.
Adjust ipd offset x steps.
Repeat till best image
Etc.

2 Likes

Hi bob, I was thinking the same thing. I just did a new topic to SweViver etal. I really like your page by page idea. In a wizard type format, I think it would really help newbies. Of course a way to bypass for the experts/veterans.

RE Test pattern: I know there is a jpg to help with IPD using a test pattern thing. However, there were no instructions, except how to install it in place of the PItool image. No help for me. Oh well. I know Sweviver and team will get us something powerful and useful soon enough. I really hope they focus on IPD setup next.

I just ventured into VR last year. Mostly for me it’s been a mode of…OK what do I need to do now to ge this headset to work properly. A lot of reading, not much playing.

Now that PE is released, hopefully I can do more playing now.
David

1 Like

This is a great idea!

So here’s a question. I should be getting my Primax 8KX on Friday. Should I install pitools or just the beta of the pimaxmax experience? Or does PE need to have pitools installed in advance?
Thanks

Hi Finn, as I understand it. The latest release of Pitools already has PE included.
Just install the latest pitool, that will give you PE. It is an awesome tool for many. For me a bit of a learning experience…but I know I’ll get here. A lot of good knowledgeable folks on here to help.
David

2 Likes

Yes, ED = Elite Dangerous. My steps outline getting a non-steam game to run. I assume that for a steam game steps 2 and 3 would be unnecessary.

2 Likes

Ah gotcha mobo. Thank You
David

1 Like