I MADE TEST for AntiSDE!

Hi people! I bought a electronic microscope yesterday and an anti-glare Kwmobile screen protector.

Here are examples with pentile and LCD. I don’t know how it works in VR. But at least… we know how it works on mobile screens.

I tried to put some extra layers to see the effects.

PENTILE:

Original:

2 layers:

4 layers:

And now LCD

Original:

1 layer:

2 layers:

4 layers:

And now a mix of LCD with 2 layers. For me the best option.

If somebody with 5K+ want to try it… it is possible it works. I suppose. Is not a bad option. You need to do it directly over the screens.

New version with less zoom and 4 layers:

29 Likes

Impressive !

2 Likes

isn’t the lens curved? how did you put the screen protector on a curve lens?

looks awesome btw

2 Likes

Sorry is on mobiles screens!!

I hope soon somebody with guts… try it with Pimax heheh

4 Likes

would have to go under the lens on top of the module glass/clear screen

1 Like

Somebody ? You ? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

@Sjef is one of the bravest men in the forum

3 Likes

these protectors have to go directly onto the display. you have to consider optics and distances. you can’t use them on lenses or the clear screen as the result is vastly different. if you glue that thing onto the lens or clear screen I bet you would end up with one hell of blurry mess.

for me this stuff is no option. I don’t like blur and I don’t like the odyssey+ so…

9 Likes

I prefer it with the filter.
The only sharp thing you see in the original photo is the pixels and the space between them, It’s a fake sharpness.
If you compare the real image in both there isn’t much difference in blurriness but the sharpness of the pixels.
The real space between pixels is so tiny that you need to difuse it very very little you can’t even notice. It’s like if you put SS to 200 but instead you get a final SS of 195, not a big deal if at the end you get a picture 95% SDE free

5 Likes

you can’t defuse only the pixelgrid, you are defusing the picture as a whole. I don’t like it. If I want that I order weaker contact lenses…:wink:

for me its fine as it is - you are not like frozen staring at the SDE. As soon as I move my head in VR, the SDE is no issue for me. but thats just me - SDE was a big pta for me in the beginning of VR but most of you have never seen the SDE of DK1 or even DK2 I guess.

1 Like

I think it’s best solution till better displays come into vr, you only see sharpness in pixels not in the picture, never in vr, it’s always augmented by the lenses, it’s always defused, fake sharpness, and very ugly too

1 Like

Yes. I was one of the first in use anti-glare filters in DK1 screens. But Pimax glasses has this cristal between lens and screen, and I don’t want to lose the guarantee.

It is a experiment to help @PimaxVR team. Or some hero who want to mod his HMD.

2 Likes

I know, thats why its not going to be easy to apply such a filter on a pimax.
pimax themselfs should offer it as an orderable option called… hmm… the Pimax 5K++? :joy:

and just for reference - the SDE on a 5K+ is nowhere near as bad as that LCD example above.
pixelpitch is actually much smaller.

2 Likes

So maybe only one layer would be enough for people who wants this option or even another thinner model

1 Like

It would be nice if Pimax could give us the option of ordering a filter on the screens, as they have clean rooms and we don’t. What do you think, @PimaxVR ?

1 Like

Here you have another photo.

With 4 layers! Blurry?

6 Likes

Definitely not blurry, can you provide link of these filters?

3 Likes

this is very very interesting

1 Like

I use kwmobile anti-glare screen protector for Huawei Pad hahaha the cheapest I found to try.

I think that I made it fast. I suppose that there are betters filters in the market. If anybody want to try.

4 Likes

I liked the analysis very much that SDE creates a kind of fake sharpness. That’s true.

Many thanks yen for this first test. Could you bring this foil with distance to the display? Then you could better estimate what the result will be if you don’t put this foil on the screen but on the protective glass of the pimax.

3 Likes