I have a feeling that Pimax 8K X will be the best headset of mankind for many years

He’d stand outside immersed in the quest and hitting random pedestrians with the protest sign.

6 Likes

Im sure you will enjoy it. I do mine. Someone may want to split this into a oculus quest topic though. I was enjoying the positive thread on the 8kx. Pimax does deserve a bit of love.:wink:

3 Likes

I’m just waiting for a $70 coupon code for trading in my 10m cable extra order from the kickstarter, at which time I’ll be putting in an order for an 8kX, but I am not in the least convinced it will end up replacing my current Index, in spite of both the FOV, and the x1.5 step up in resolution, (…and the future eye- and handtracking expansions), due to a number of things, but amongst them first and foremost that of the optics – I hold it extremely likely most of that extra resolution will turn out to be entirely lost in blur – it is that major an issue.

1 Like

Completed. Thanks for the nudge. :beers::sunglasses::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

3 Likes

VR has to grow granularity of equipement.
There is no provider who will able to master the headset, the controller and the accessories properly.
Vive has done an outstanding work with the index, providing top controllers, additional trackers, but they are still behind with the headset.
stangely Pimax with the lack of support for base station and controller has an edge over the other ones and should stick to that.
Delivering outstanding headset and get all the rest from third party.
Even specific devices (like the ones that are linked to the form factor of the headset like eye and hand tracking) can be adapted very fast if you just need to design a case and integrate the software.

You missed one :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The point is that I don’t see this comparison to the gaming console world to be appropriate (yet).

VR is still fighting to overcome certain shortcomings in its tech to be appealing to the mainstream markets, and there is no set of competitors carved in stone.Pimax are a prime example of “anybody can produce a world-beating VR headset if they have a couple of smart ideas and execute on them”. This would not be likely in the console world today as you need to figure out the complete eco system around it too and Sony and MS are typically subsidizing the basic hardware in order to gain profits in the sale of games.

So at current VR is a pretty open playing field for anybody to participate and gain their share of the cake. Are we not looking at StarVR, XTal, Pimax, etc. ? Most of them are small companies with no larger pedigree or financial backbone, yet they could potentially provide the next big thing in VR.

Oculus with all of their research being conducted really should have given us much more than the Rift S - but they haven’t and it seems they will deliberately not push the envelope into the direction we PC-high end enthusiasts would like to see.

At current it is completely unclear what the coming 2-3 years will bring in terms of high-end VR. But as it remains a potentially very promising future market I am convinced that there are a number of projects going on which aim to provide enhanced VR experiences going beyond what the 8KX will bring to the table. And to be clear, it’s not only about the resolution (which may well still be amongst the best in class in a couple of years). If an Index with 150° and 4K per eye came out, the 8KX is overpowered immediatelly. That’s what I meant when I said that I don’t expect it to remain the best for many years. It may still be a good headset in many years, that is a different story.

5 Likes