HP Z PC Backpack on the Pimax?

Keep looking on there, this one seller keeps having them for around $1300, I missed out when he had 2 for $1200, I think they were without the backpack but still I big break from what they really are asking.
Ehhh there is a cumbersome of getting in it and out on your own, I wont lie and sometimes can be a pain,as anything a hassle, the weight wasn’t bad but over time you will start to feel it. Like I said I think they are great if you can use inside/out tracking and just walk anywhere, but if I wasn’t using that type of headset, then my next option would be using the wireless adapter as i’m using with the Vive/Cosmos, but we know about the tracking so I’m just waiting for the external plate to go on sale, then of course the ceiling method that I’m also using with the Artisan now which I love until I get a total handle on the settings with most games. So my recommendation is NO if you just plan on using in a 10x10 area for no cable issue, not worth the time putting on and battery life…

1 Like

I will be having other people demo material, and i need to pack it and move. I suppose the Computer itself fits in a backpack, but with the batteries and harness can be as cumbersome as a desktop. I will have to consider if just getting an Alienware Area51m.

Just to give you a quick update, I got a HP Z Gen2 and real quick I tried to connect the Artisan using a Club USB type C to DP as it said it was good for 8k, the main pimax image was not good, then I tried a short mini displayport to DP and same type of image, now Im still using the original power plug as I need the correct barrel adapter to fit in the pimax cable connector and connect it to the HP, but just connecting these DP to either the typc Thunderbolt or mini DP isn’t looking promising, with this Gen 2 this is the only way we can connect the pimax using it as a backpack, i’ll be doing more testing if your still interested VR-TECH.

1 Like

Besides the HP Z, what other computer you have and what are the specs. how does it compare to the the HP Z

I have my 8k+ connected to a i7 9700k , rtx 2080S
The Artisan is connected to a i5 9600k, rtx 2080
Now I was very surprised with the user benchmark score the HP Z gen2 got, I had the HP omen X vr with a 1080 and that scored like low 80, it did work fine with the Rift S connected when I played Half Life. This backpack got scores 110 , 105 and work station 92. Pretty impressive for what it has. I’m not sure why the pimax connected through the mini DP is not playable right now. I’m actually gonna try the mini DP setup on my i7 and see if I get the same issues with the image.

Very cool. Keep us updated!

Whichever option you choose, make sure that the video card can be upgraded. Then you can upgrade to an RTX 3xxx (mobile version if it’s a laptop). The new GPUs are rumored to be faster and use less power, which would be a big win for mobile usage.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.