HP Reverb now or wait for Pimax 8K X

It’s better to have someone seen honest promoting product than having one whom is only seen as a 1 company promoter. Think of an extreme whom doesn’t work for Oculus & the bad rep Heaney received as a result.

Now going by title “Community Relations Manager” is I believe the position was called. So he’s has kind of a mixed position where promoting product is on the lines of trying to help pimax with Community relations. A kind of PR position similar to how an Employee manager is supposed to be.

2 Likes

Do we even know that the 8KX will be released at all? (except for those who backed it in the kickstarter). If so, I must have missed that announcement somehow.

2 Likes

@Dr_Qrunch

No official release date/price but official specifications Yes;
https://community.openmr.ai/t/sweviver-pimax-8k-x-specifications-revealed-everything-you-need-to-know/20193/467

3 Likes

I see “price to be announced” on the list… that means they’re planning on selling them too. Nice :partying_face:

5 Likes

It will have only one cable so it will not be an ultra exclusive limited availibity product, but in fact the next in line Pimax headset

2 Likes

I agree with all the above. I know the 8KX is supposed to have a better panel profile to take advantage of more viewable pixels. I really hope it lives up to the hype. At that time I will more than likely get the Reverb too so that I can compare w the P8KX and like Heliosurge stated I might be able to get it on sale.

4 Likes

On a side note: I posted on a Reddit Reverb review thread asking the Reverb reviewer (who stated he owned a Pimax 4K) how the reverb SDE was compared to the Pimax 4K. He then proceeded to “rip me a new one” saying how dare I compare the P4K with the reverb, LOL. hes definetly not a Pimax fan!
Anyhow I didnt like all the cons of the P4K but I liked it for vids and certain games. It really had a clear image for games when looking off in the distance. I liked that little HMD. But after going larger FOV its hard to go back, thats whats keeping me from ordering a Reverb now.

4 Likes

Yes if the pixel density of the P8KX is on par with the P4K ill sell off my P4K,P5K+ and P8K and will only need the P8KX

6 Likes

I think I would have jabbed him. Lol

“Gotcha Reverb not as good as p4k for SDE; but good for everything else?” :beers::joy::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

LMAO, he didnt even respond to the question, he just thought I was a pimax fanboy! I should have messed w him a bit…

4 Likes

wow his ego was to big for pimax, you should have teased him a bit :slight_smile:
Yes i wonder too if i can tolerate smaller fov now, i’m thinking maybe it’s a big shock at first, but the brain will get used to it again over time, maybe easier with photorealistic image quality

3 Likes

Biggest problem I can see with the Reverb is using Square screens vs Rectangles. As folks have remarked at the decreased vertical FoV.

It would be interesting to see how a headset would flare using 2160×2048 for total 4320×2048

3 Likes

I had an Lenovo Eplorer with square displays, 1440x1440, the fov was not bad with an thin facefoam really close to the lenses couldn’t see the edges of the panels. I hope we can fiddle with that on the reverb as the foam is different…
i was lucky i didn’t have problems with the lack of ipd adjustment, so i’m fairly confident it will work for me if they use the same wmr tech.

4 Likes

Was the Lenova software IPD only, I didnt have an issue with IPD for the Odysseys but they were mechanical. My IPD for the Pimaxes is about 57 or 58 so I hope it wont be an issue with the Reverb as I think I remember 60 was the minimum??

2 Likes

Hp stated to road to vr that the software ipd range is 55mm to 71mm and the standard setting is 63mm so you should be good.

3 Likes

I fired up the ol Pimax 4K and… Well its gonna take some time to go back to that FOV :frowning:

3 Likes

oke, i have nothing to compare but i believe you, maybe try it for a few days and see if you get used to it? I think i will buy and try a reverb if a good deal comes up. In europe there is a legal 2 weeks period you can send goods back if youre not satisfied.

3 Likes

Samsung had a good return policy. I demoed the Odyssey+ for a week or two and Samsung let me return it no questions asked. Well almost, as long as there was no damage due to mishandling and such

4 Likes

Yes, if you buy Reverb, then you should definitely wait for a discount. On the WMR headset, they are often often from time to time :beers:

Personally, in my opinion, HP Reverb can be safely taken at a price of $ 400 and less when it comes. (even at Odyssey they make a discount of $ 200, so you can wait. Why pay over now for what will be cheaper later)

2 Likes

Yes, I also launched Lenovo accurately after my 8K during the first days of testing.
And I was a little shocked at how narrow the hole in Lenovo was (like a donut hole you look into :sweat_smile:)
Then it immediately seemed to me that there would be no return to a low FOV…

2 Likes