HP Reverb now or wait for Pimax 8K X

The RTX cards support that over DP. I don’t think that it would work with just a standard DP → HDMI converter. You’d probably need special hardware to convert DP including DSC to HDMI including DSC. Then again, I don’t know much about the DSC protocol. If it’s just within the normal HDMI specs it might work.

Nah. The panel just isn’t very suitable for VR. Way too much ghosting and the colours/contrast already is quite bad as it is. More shutter time will only make it worse. You’re beating a dead horse man. And Pimax won’t do it anyway, they’re focusing on new hmd’s which I think is a very wise decision. It seems they’ve already sold the rights to the pimax 4k anyway.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a dead horse when they don’t even have to do anything. They just need to re-enable Extended mode honestly.

1 Like

You can have extended mode with the older software, v1.1.92 I think it was called?

So you should then use a DP → HDMI converter and MAYBE that will correctly translate the DSC code. I doubt it though, but who knows, there’s as chance it works of course.

2 Likes

Agreed. The og p4k would be best to opensource it fully if possible for tweakers. From mt uunderstanding it uses the same toshiba? Bridgechip as og rift & Vive. A bridgechip upgrade maybe needed to enable dsc?

3 Likes

Extend mode/video mode at present I believe is only directly available in piplay. But manually editing a json file might be able to enable it. But without pitool interface being unavailable. As some p5k & p8k users had used piplay to set extend mode (crashed these 2 models). A user found the config file that uploads to headset.

We were able to get them back to functioning headset by switching extend to pimax mode.

But would need to test. A search might yeild info on this. Somewhere between Oct 2018 & Dec 2018

1 Like

In europe the Rift S is only 50 € cheaper, I did not test the Rift S but I think the Reverb is a better deal…

Do you ever check what you have just typed in?
Uberstabbing FTW.

2 Likes

Whats the json file called? When I install app I play it doesn’t see the headset. But if I can enable extended mode in pitool by editing a json then I’m totally game.

1 Like

Yes later on & fix it as I go. Be better if android keyboard worked better as it once did. Lol

1 Like

Check this link.

Not tested going in reverse. Lol

Wow I just played Arizona Sunshine on the 5K+, Index and Reverb in a row.

And hell yeah the Reverb looks sooo much better, no comparsion, but the tracking was a bit glitchy especially if I drop a magazin and have to pick it up from the ground…

But what a blast, really looking forward the 8K-X

8 Likes

Did you ever try to use the index controller in combination with reverb?
My vive wands and v1 BS work with my OD+

1 Like

Nope I have to test that as well… But I think most of the glitches were coming from too dim light in my room…

1 Like

Yeah very well possible, light is very important with inside out tracking. I had tracking issues too when I first got my odyssey+. With some more light everything worked fine.

1 Like

Yes WMR is picky with light sources.
Once figured out though, it ain’t much of a deal anymore.

If you have the gear I really recommend trying to mix WMR with BS. Especially If you have your BS System already fixed, which makes things easier. I’ll roughly estimate one hour of tinkering to make it work.

1 Like

Do you use openvr space calibrator to do it? I used it for a while but it was kind of finicky with some games and I constantly had to tinker with things to get them in the right positions and calibrated correctly

1 Like

Edit
post removed the extension cable started blanking ,

further Edit
Just used the same extension cable for a few hours with no problems , maybe it’s ok when everything has warmed up a bit ???

3 Likes

I tried that one, and get constant blackouts on my reverb. Maybe I got a bad batch.

2 Likes

Hope I’m not speaking too soon , only got it today

2 Likes

OK
extension is working well at high resolution 4320x2160 but MEDIUM quality setting in the MR portal headset settings , steam games are ok so far

2 Likes