Housing Issue Reports (cracks, imperfections etc.)

Well I am still waiting for them to fix this problem before I RMA My 5K+ As it look like its more that the 700 HMD that had the problem as stated by PimaxUSA, not saying he was trying to cover up the problem as he could have been told the problem was only on the 700 ish HMD, BUT he should now go back to Pimax and say this needs to be fixed A.S.A.P.

Casings still cracking is no good for the Pimax company.

4 Likes

Cant believe still cases crack. I would totally avoid Pimax eventhough I wanted to really like it.

Months passed still no answer to my Supen!

3 Likes

Pimax act as if all 7000 HMDā€™s were checked for cracks to arrive at that conclusionā€¦ This 700 number is only from reported cracks of users who actually noticed or even bothered to check. Then there are the many more users since then (who even previously stated no cracks) who have now reported them, here in this forum and elsewhere.

I now have a second crack on the bottom left corner since reporting the first one a week after receiving it new. There is no way in hades I am going to RMA until itā€™s fixed. Too many reports of repeat RMAā€™s with cracked cases, so yea itā€™s not fixed.

4 Likes

My 8k, one of the early ones, has 3 chipped corners.

They showed up 2 to 4 weeks after receiving the headset. one of them later became larger.

It also came with a hair stuck inside, looks like itā€™s on the panel.

Since itā€™s a loaner while waiting for the 8KX and it isnā€™t really affecting the visuals much and the helpdesk has been such a busy mess Iā€™ve not bothered to RMA it.

Itā€™ll be interesting to see what they say when they get it back.

3 Likes

Same here, but two cracks. Have electrical tape on 4 of the corners now and that seems to have stabilized it for many months.

2 Likes

Pimax should bundle a roll of reinforcing tape with the headset.

13 Likes

Haha, good idea!

Shame on Pimax!

1 Like

Well, welcome to the club, my 5K+ is around 6 weeks old and is developing cracks on the front. It was NOT hit, didnā€™t fall, nothing, I have no kidz @ home anymore and nobody used it apart from me.
The cracks just suddenly appeared :frowning:

2 Likes

and yet we still have crack reports on recent HMDsā€¦

Pimax has not been able to fix plastic housing cracks 1 year after entering in production, despite the issue arrived at the very beginning of the production. What a jokeā€¦

Whatā€™s next, controller cracks ?

Pimax is really not a reliable company. It is more important to them to make news products than fixing existing onesā€¦

They will never be considered a serious VR company if they continue like that.

4 Likes

I predicted that that will be the case once I saw the renders. They look flimsy and if they are adamant on using the same type of plastics as the HMD, crackings on the controllers will be inevitable since they are meant to take way more beating against each other and against hard surfaces.

1 Like

Yes Oculus has had recent controllee cracks.

But yes I do think they need to put more emphasis on the crack issue. There are some whom have no crack issues from the beginning.

But frequency suggests a bigger issue than is projected.

1 Like

The controllers look to have same flimsy design similar to Valveā€™s.

Plasticwise not likely to use same plastic as front housing. Grip button will likely be a boon.

Index is already having inconsistent quality in Analog sticks.

1 Like

Pimax should fix their own issues instead of pointing at competitorsā€™ ones.
We have backed (or bought) a Pimax, not a riftS/quest, not an index, not a reverb.

On top of that all those issues endlessly pointed from other hmds are recent.
You will be able to able to be negative about those competitors if their issues havenā€™t been fixed after 1 year.

For now it is Pimax issues that are not fixed after 1 year. And they donā€™t even offer a full package yet. The competitors you use as an excuse have issues over full packages, Pimax has already several issues with just a hmd.

No other HMD accumulates that many issues on a single product, so they should better keep low profile and work to close the gap instead of pointing at competitors because for now pimax is really not in the best position to give lessonsā€¦

With my rift I have had 1 issue, and that was over a full package with 3 sensors and 2 controllers (all bought at product release). With my Pimax I have at least 5 issues (cable, cracks, stuck pixel, horizontal lines, poor tracking initialization despite 2 lighthouses), and thatā€™s just for the hardware side (and I donā€™t count things that are just poor quality/design like woobly/unresponsive IPD knob, bad face foam, poor strap).

3 Likes

Ah I see your confused. I am not a pimax employee. Just pointing out a simple fact that Mass production has issues.

There is a reason say with PCs parts like cpus & gpus itā€™s often refered to as a silicon lottery.

I am leery about Samsung products due to issues I have had with them (mobile phones) & seeing TVs being demoed in Stores with issues. But do know there one of the top brands.

Pimax wonā€™t officially have been actually out a year until the first Pre Orders were shipped. So were looking at I believe late January 2020 to February. So 7 months & yes the housing issue should have been resolved by now imho.

Tracking I would reccommend comparing with others. From notes it seems place LHes a bit farther appart, higher (if possible) with a more angle down.

I must be lucky. I just ran into the open window (forgot that it was open), smashing the headset right onto the handle. No signs of cracks or whatever.

5 Likes

Luckily you did not fell out tangled by a Pimax. Imagine that: ā€œguy killed by a Pimax VR Headsetā€ in the ā€œBild Zeitungā€ā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Yeah, I wonder why all those Oculus shills paid by the Facebook propaganda ā€œMinistry of Truthā€ have never brought up this ā€œfundamental Pimax issueā€ yet!
xD

2 Likes

I once expressed my dissatisfaction with Oculusā€™ software on FB, man it was worst s***storm I ever experienced online.

5 Likes

Itā€™s amazing how hardware choices become a ā€œreligionā€. Or maybe itā€™s trolls doing it, just to aggravate others.

3 Likes

Fanboysm and relative anonimity of online interaction does that. I donā€™t think people would be so eager to insult each other in person. But I think it is always best to just ā€œvote with your feetā€, meaning leave for a better option. Exactly what I did :slight_smile:

3 Likes