Hinge Screws - Standard Part? Replacements?

At the hinges where MAS attaches, those little cylinders with threads on one end and Phillips head on the other end, that look like they might be used on some wrist watches…

Where can I buy more? These look like they are probably a standard part.

Phillips head is notorious for being intentionally designed to cam out, eventually becoming impossible to tighten further or even remove. I have not broken these screws yet, but they are basically consumable if rapidly replacing a bunch of hinges for tweaking purposes. I need a place to buy a decent stock of replacements.

3 Likes

You could try a camera repair shop.

2 Likes

Thanks, but none of those remotely look like what I am looking for here, and I already have a full stock of various metric screws.

i’m not sure what they are, but i’m a little curious as to why you’re expecting to have to remove them in the first place?

1 Like

@Miracle @PimaxQuorra
Could you provide us some informations on those. It could spare YOU also some time and costs in return!

1 Like

Apart from the color, what is wrong with them ?

The cylinders used by Pimax are pure cylinders - no threads - with a Phillips head at one end and a short part with threads at the other end. Like I said, more like something one would expect to find on a wristwatch.

but you don’t need to take those apart to remove the hinges. at least not on my version, I’m not sure why you need to take them out in the first place?

1 Like

OK, I get it, I was under the impression it was a tube with a thread and Phillips head at each end.

I removed mine the other day to put on the silicon sleeve (it as I didn’t want to take of the comfort kit cowling again (just removed the eye tracking module until it’s less buggy or at least until a new version of PiTool/aSeeVR is out) and I don’t see why You think they’ll wear down easily? With the proper (tiny) screwdriver head getting a firm grip on the head of the screw it doesn’t seem to take any damage at all.

It’s not like it needs to be driven in very hard… I mean, ehmm… Oh well… :wink:

As @BNP also says I’m not sure why You’d want to remove them to replace the hinges? They come off if You push them away from the lenses it would seem. You just have to remove the cowling first to make it possible (as they have to be flush with the headset and not perpendicular like they are when in use).

I think they are called Chicago-Screw

Those are not it. There’s a short thread (a few mm) on the outside unless I forgot how it looked already… :smiley:

EDIT: Like this one I just randomly googled:

3 Likes

Mine were factory tightened down quite a lot when I removed them. And I do have several precision tip Phillips head screw driver bits, so I did get the best possible fit. They are still wearing down at a rate I am not at all comfortable with.

1 Like

Exactly that. I am looking for more of those things.

2 Likes

Bump. This remains a problem. Help please?

Bump. Folks, I need these replacement screws. Please help.

BUMP! BUMP! Help please! I need these hinge screws and I would prefer to buy a lot of them directly!!

Come on, we know they are a standard part. If you know of someone in the relevant industry who might recognize these, please ask!

These seem to be similar, but without the integrated screw head.

Looks like motherboard standoffs.

Maybe You can take one to a local hardware or DYI electronics shop/store?