Help me decide - must be an Elite Dangerous player

I suppose the other consideration is IF the 8K needs a bit more graphics tweaking to make it the same as the 5K+, like upping the target res then How will this impacted the wireless transmission module, or would it still be the same ?

That does not matter.The wireless transmitor will always transmitt the image the same size regardless of the processing it has had before reaching the transmiter

1 Like

great you enjoy your 5k+ i guess everyone have to decide with their own priorities

and I found out that ED is only the one game/sim I don’t like in Pimax 5k + . I get used to the ViVe colours and black and super crisp gear vr lenses mod.
Also OG Vive I used with 400 % steam vr resolution that means around 3000x3300 pixels per eye and 90 fps almost everywhere except planet bases but there async rep. kicking and was OK. In Pimax similar resolutions give me only 75~80 fps in space with even more compromises in visuals. So I only gain FOV , everthing else for me is subiectivly worst in this sim.Including geometry distortions which I had little in my gear vr lenses mod now I see them 2 or 3 x more… Low brightness feature little helps me with blacks but this is still far from vive level. To make metters worse dr Kaii ED Profiler not supporting currently feature „tone mapping” in 3.3 ( it works in beta phase) And I pretty munch uderstand ppl which like ED in Pimax but I had great config for my Vive and my lets say visual standards are very high.
Ofcourse I am not going back to Vive just prefer not playing ED for a while until I decide to replace my gtx 1080ti to rtx 2080ti or even next 3080 and Pimax will add more features in their software like saturation, color temp. also more reprojections or brainwarp features is needed.

4 Likes

i can relate to that, i have the same standard but with sde, coming from the pimax 4k i don’t want to go back to much…

1 Like

This was a huge bummer. I agree- I think Elite Dangerous suffers most with my 5k+. I doubt the difference with the 8k is huge, but I personally think the darkness control definitely pushed things in the right direction. I really hope Pimax lets us drop the darkness more. I think another good whack in that direction with boosted gamma will really make things way better.

Damn! Not what I wanted to hear. :confused:

If FDev would make the game support canted screens, that would be a good start, on the performance side of things – If they’d do some lens-matched shading, on top of that, I am sure that would work absolute wonders.

It’s encouraging to see Pimax showing up in places like VorpX settings. It tells me that Pimax has become less obscure and will probably be seeing better support from the developers side. FDev were great in adapting the game to the changes in the original Oculus SDK. I am sure they will do the same with Pimax.

1 Like

Umm… The way I remember things; For the longest time Rift users had to revert to an ancient Oculus driver if they wanted to play ED, because FDev didn’t want to keep up with all the changes, and preferred to wait for them to stop coming… Depends on exactly what one mean by original, of course.

Happy to hear that Ralf has added a device profile to VorpX - guess I should fire it up, to download that update. :7

1 Like

I get that - I took that hit when I started using my Rift for Elite. I got sick of swapping my Vive and Rift whenever I wanted to play Elite, so I eventually just moved to using the Rift full time [because I used it more for other games.]

The visual hit I took moving from the Vive to the Rift was more noticeable than going from Rift to Pimax. I dealt with that loss of blacks long ago

3 Likes