Headstrap like PSVR is “required” to correct edge distortions

Today I tried 5K+ with some friends, because one of them received it.

At first, for me, was awful. Everything with a high distortion. But they said that they can see everything ok…

My IPD is 69mm, and they have 61-62. Then I tried to move away a little the HMd from my face, with my fingers, and all start to works perfectly.

Then… I notice that if the HMD lay over my face, without pressure, the distortion disappeared.

I tried an Odyssey+ cover, because it is thicker, and it works too, but I lost FOV. And it’s painful in the face.

And this is the main reason why some people can see distortion.

When will we have the PSVR like headstrap? Because I think that people with big IPD or specific face… we won’t be able to use Pimax HMD until we have it.

Thanks in advance for the answer @anon74848233

13 Likes

One more thing. As several users said on Reddit, right eye was blurry. I tried differents IPD, and every time the left eye is in focus, and right is blurry. It’s very annoying.

I just got my 5K+(loaned until 8K-X) today. You are correct. At first, I had distortions in all directions, although I haven’t updated my firmware to the newest one (I adjusted the IPD to both extremes). I (just a few minutes ago) put my OG Vive face foam (that came with the Vive) ON TOP of the Pimax face foam, so it’s layered, and it was way more acceptable.

I needed to do this for the Samsung Odyssey+ also, except I used the 6mm face cover for that from VR Cover. The Odyssey had crappy world movement and it was impossible to use with glasses without the extra cover on top. Still had world movement with the cover.

I want to make a post eventually, but I haven’t even played games yet.

EDIT: 6mm VRCover works better. I’m going to post a review eventually. Still testing/playing.

3 Likes

Great ~ I have this trouble at the beginning of using headset but adjust the headstrap immediately and don’t realize this will trouble enthusiast a lot
Thanks for your discovery and it’s very helpful for backers

10 Likes

Not sure about license, but I like move in and move out function of psvr too.

1 Like

Exactly, the pull in and out feature is what the OD is missing.

1 Like

I think I remember seeing somewhere that the face piece (that the cover is mounted on) is removable. If that’s the case maybe we can print replacements with different distances to the lens.

2 Likes

It is. It just clicks on place.

Another solution would be to buy a VRCover in the right thickness once they’re out (or Pimax could deliver the HMD with different thickness foam pieces).

If there were like 3 different thicknesses maybe that would be sufficient?

3 Likes

Received,That’s a good suggestion.

4 Likes

@Yen - I was thinking exactly the same thing days ago after using my new Od+ for the first time, I have both PS-VR and Od+ , and the first is the only headset I know of that lets you have a perfect distance in respect to the headset, I don’t get why this system is not adopted on other headsets too, it is so simple…
Plus , the lens Sony is using are very good and clear, almost better than any other headset and brand.
VR companies should learn a couple of things from Sony’s headset…even if it is the most cheap one on the market.

3 Likes

I understand that we can do this for ourselves but what about when a friend wants to try the headset.
The problem with no adjustment for specific eye distance from the lens makes it harder to pass the headset around for someone else to try.
I think VR arcades would have a big problem with this too, as users may only be trying the headset for 10 - 30 mins at a time.
It may take time for some to get it feeling right or adjust it

3 Likes

Thanks. And is there any news about the headband? I think it will be the solution of this big trouble with the distortions.

And remember. PSVR headband has a button to change the distance to the face of the HMd. It is a good idea too.

1 Like

Dallas you need to send your head strap prototypes to developers for feedback now. Don’t follow the same path as Samsung

4 Likes

Yes. Or @anon74848233 you can send it to the Pimax Mod community, who knows the problems that need to be resolved. We can help you for this kind of issues.

3 Likes

No, moving the HMD further away from my face doesn’t improve anything for me. Moving the HMD up did though, like explained here, my distortion is almost gone now: https://community.openmr.ai/t/distortion-fix-vertical-placement-on-face-is-paramount/11731

4 Likes

Interesting. It was the first thing I tried and it doesn’t work for me. It complicated the problem.

1 Like

In my case moving it away is not an “almost gone” for the distortion. Is a “there is simply absolutely none distortion”. Interesting we have several configurations.

Without the mod, the distortion make me imposible to use the HMd.

2 Likes

So for me moving the headset in or out can affect clarity.
As mentioned in another thread it seems up or down affects distortion.
The up or down always felt more important than the ipd did for me.
So we need a 6dof headstrap lol.
Or more importantly eye tracking

2 Likes

Psvr headstrap is not a foolproof design in my humble opinion.
The bottom half of the facial interface is never firm on one’s face and me personally it drives me nuts. I’ve resorted to using strong adhesive Velcro pulling the bottom half closer. To me, sure it might be comfortable, but also for me it defeats the purpose of what I’m doing which is enjoying immersion and maximizing fov.

2 Likes

I’ve also found that both moving the hmd up or down correctly or moving the lens further away or closer to the eye can effect distortion and have not experienced any distortion at all for awhile while playing my go to game at the moment. I mentioned that lens distance to eye can be an issue also for certain users in a previous post and its nice to get more confirmation. Another helpful recent post by @aesopfabled has also confirmed the importance of vertical adjustment. Hopefully people will not just plop the hmd on without adjusting the headset in all XYZ axis. I seriously believe that many have reported distortions that could have been entirely corrected or if not at least substantially made less with proper adjustment including of course IPD. I feel this information should be made known to every new or current user who may experience geometric distortion. @anon74848233 .

3 Likes