First Pimax CES 2020 coverage from MRTV

Not sure about the artisan price. Index is 499 comes with superior head strap, industry best audio and optics are also better than pimax. FOV of pimax is great, but to dial in for no optical issues is very hard for a lot of people (no way to move lenses/screens closer to your eyes)

Index is 539ā‚¬ to me on Steam and 449$ make it 403ā‚¬ for the Artisan

1 Like

atleast 60$ shipping and no eu warehouses anymore so tax on top

1 Like

Right but I dont think the Index come with free shipping.
But you are totally right about the taxes.

1 Like

Index isnā€™t perfect either. I havenā€™t tried it personally but the glare seems way worse than on the 5K+.

Getting the 5K+ aligned properly is a PITA though.

Regarding pretty much anything but FoV and glare though, the Index seems like a way better product and itā€™s from Valve, so thereā€™s that too.

2 Likes

@mixedrealityTV @Ludiks
One question that would be interesting to getting answered from Pimax: Is the NOLO upgrade also compatible with the 5k+ and the 8k?
I think a lot of people are in this situation: They have one set of Valve basestations and controllers and are now upgrading from their current Pimax headset to an 8k+/X. The old headset can only be given to people who also have Valve basestations and controllers - not so many. Buying the NOLO stuff to make the old headset ā€œcompleteā€ again would allow to give it away (or sell it) to a wider group of peopleā€¦

When you see the nolo on the Artisan yes, it is ā€œjustā€ the nolo sticked to the headset, it could (can) be used with any headsets this way for sure.
But not sure this is best way to enjoy 6DoF unfortunately (Actually I am, it is not, letā€™s just hope Iam wrong and they improved it).

3 Likes

I only want to know if the 120hz from the 8Kx are with ā€œreducedā€ FOV o total FOV.

7 Likes

DAS or MAS ,ā€¦? 20 chars

DAS

well the DAS is a hack it can be frankened onto anything. What I wanted to know if their MAS was compatible.

1 Like

If it has jack to plug a DAS it obviously can be compatible with the MAS.
But I can be wrong of course.

1 Like

There MAS is compatible with Artisan. Real question is if 8kX has 2 audio ports do the other headsets require using a Y joiner.

3 Likes

Now the real question Brainwarp 2.0 with Frame doubling? As it has been avoided being discussed for a long time. Is the 5k Super real refresh or one that is capable of using a new kind of Brainwarp?

If legit refresh will it be able to use perceived frame doubling as advertised in KS?

@PimaxQuorra

6 Likes

Wow!! CES versions of the 8Kx are running native dual 4K at 80hz and not 75hz. It sounds that itā€™s possible to achieve 90hz in the future.

8 Likes

Firstly thank you Sebastian for the excellent coverage so far itā€™s all very promising. The Pimax stand looks professional including all the awesome custom pcs and smart unified staff. Robin Weng is very geeky cool. All the hard work is evident. Pimax have definitely moved to the next level regarding presentation. I hope Pimax find CES a great success. Ps liking the silver strip!!!

13 Likes

so based this slide artisan is 1700x1440 ? Iā€™m a bit confused now becouse previously we got info that is 1600x1440

3 Likes

Good question which specs are correct? @PimaxQuorra

2 Likes

This seems like a good move to have pledged for the deluxe audio strap during Kickstarter.

I would imagine the free head-strap sent out to backers (basic MAS) will cost more than $40 to upgrade to the deluxe version.

Or am I wrong and ā€˜full packageā€™ Kickstarter backers get the deluxe MAS anyway, but I doubt it.

Pimax is improving continuosly :grinning:

i bet on 1700x1400 for the large FOV