Feel Cross-eyed?

So I got my 5k in yesterday, and the FOV and resolution is great, however, no matter what game I play, I feel slightly cross-eyed, which results in eye strain. Did/does anyone else have this problem? If you managed to fix it, how did you?

I didn’t feel like this in my rift or Vive, so it may just be a result of the canted screens?

4 Likes

What about the IPD adjustment wheel?

2 Likes

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have it adjusted to roughly my optometrist measured IPD.

2 Likes

Like the vive has a way to extend the screen away from your face to your preferred focal point, perhaps a thicker foam to get it away from your face slightly might help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Using my narrow face cushion helped slightly, but the feeling is still present. I got a lot of suggestions from Reddit that I will be trying, and will definitely report back on my findings.

2 Likes

You should start with the IPD.

Roughly adjusting it doesn’t cut it for the 5K+/8K, you should really dial it in as closely as possible to your measured IPD, which can be a considerable pain because in my experience, the OSD isn’t reporting accurately enough.

Once you have dialed in IPD, adjusted the fit via e.g. aftermarket foam covers and adjusted for correct tilt, it should feel pretty damn amazing.

4 Likes

Somthing felt strange to me on day one as well went away quickly. May have been adjustment or just getting a feel for it.

3 Likes

Isn’t it a software issue, as I remember the old shutter glasses did the same to me until I altered the convergence setting. Or I might be talking out of my arse of course.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/i-get-rid-of-all-issues-with-only-one-simple-mod/12978/3

1 Like

What is your ipd? You may need to adjust vertical placement. Congrats on receiving.

@anon74848233 please add to earlybackers.

1 Like

Starting certain games without the Parallel Projection setting turned on can cause this feeling. Happened to me when I launched Serious Sam games, and I forgot that they required Parallel Projection. It almost looks right, but it’s just slightly off.

1 Like

62, gonna do that and the foam mod.

1 Like

I’ve tried with and without pp.

1 Like

Which headset did you receive?

5k+ and I’m loving it.

3 Likes

Try checking Parallel Projections setting, like @Jemima2529 proposed. Games like Fallout 4 look kinda right at first, but are a little off, eg overlapping views, which causes eye strain and nausea. could work with Parallel Projections turned on.

1 Like

Getting this too. First it seems that pimaxs on screen ipd is not perfectly calibrated. So what ever ipd you need will most likely not match the on screen ipd. Also one of your eyes could possibly be closer or away from the center than the other one. (Mine is)
So far I had to dial down the ipd lower than what it should be. Also I notice that if I pull the HMD forward it looks like the convergence is better.

Pimax needs to ship 3 different foam thicknesses with each hmd since there is no way to move the hmd in and out.
Also they need to fix the ipd calibration, because it’s obviously not correct which is bad since most hmd’s do not have this issue. Maybe they can provide and onscreen tool to calibrate?

6 Likes

Yes, lets hope pimax takes the time to perfect the headstrap adjustability. It will be greatly needed and appreciated. Telescoping, tilting and tension adjustment would all be great.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking from the start will pimax overcome the difficulties introduced by using cantred displays especially so close to the eye.
Us humans have a very specific way of looking at the world. Straight ahead, with our convergence being almost parallel when relaxed and also when looking into the distance. For closer objects we pull our convergence inwards. We never normally look at the world with eyes outward from parallel.
So we face a plane in front of us with the incidence of light coming in being almost parallel, or we converge inwards to focus up close. Our brains are used to this. It’s what we do.
Birds on the other hand look outward to 2 different planes and the incidence of light is more obtuse than parallel. Their convergence wouldn’t be comparable to ours at all. It takes very different cognitive processing to put together an image of the world from these 2 different inputs.
The cantred displays of the pimax are forcing our brains to receive images that are starting to behave like those a bird sees, whilst our eyes are actually facing forward not outward and our brain isn’t really experienced at putting together images like this. We’re also conditioned to look at screens at a perpendicular incidence and our brain may actually be trying on one hand to look straight at the screen and on the other still look forward.
There’s quite a few reporting eye strain and uncomfortable feelings they can’t quite place. I highly suspect the cognition of processing images projected from cantred displays this close to the eye is a contributor to this phenomenon.

10 Likes

? light comes from all directions in real life not just straight ahead. Also my head is never perfectly straight when looking at my laptop screen, its always at an angle.
I think this has more to do with IPD not correctly calibrated (the numbers displayed by pimax seem incorrect) and the converange spot being off. The space between the lens seems to be bigger than most hmds so could also have issues with it not overlapping correctly.

2 Likes