Face foam with Eyetracking discussion

VR Ears, VR Cover VR Power , Mamut…the list goes on…

1 Like

This is a sore point, HTC’s downfall, Pimaxes screwed up situation surrounding light house delivery

and maybe even the missing in action LG steamvr headset all points to anti-competitive underhanded dealings from Valve to position their ( at the time unknown) Valve Index at the top of the food chain

They were on record telling their partners that making the light house 2.0 was like half the cost. and that they could license the reference design and manufacture it themselves.

Somewhere after that Valve changed their minds likely after ink had dried, and suddenly Valvr is witholding supply for themselves

Consequently I knew that valve was planning on releasing the knuckles in apr 2019 when the news came to light in fall of 2018 that Pimax wasn’t actually making the LHs and that Valve forbade them to sell anything until apr2019 at least.

The fact that Vive Pro had already included 2.0 basestations but it sold without Knuckles was the first sign that something was up.

It led to me questioning about how Valve was going to market the release of 2.0 tracking. Whybwould anyone buy 2.0 base stations if the old hardware couldn’t use it?

who would buy 2.0 base stations by themselves if the only hmd that coukd use it was a vive pro which wasn’t bundled with knuckles? Its not like you couldnt use the knuckles by themselves.

Because of this I suspected that valve would release their own headset way before the leaks of Index pictures circulated the internet around late nov 2018.

ok conspiracy hat removed.

2 Likes

i wanted to know for sure and checked further and as a thought its about lens/display distance not eye/lens (aka eye relief) as Marek Polčák explains in this video

He doesn’t explain whether the lenses are fixed and moving the displays or if it is like google cardboard that has fixed screens and your moving the lenses. If the lenses move then it also increases pupil to lens distance.

ok, i’m going a little off the chart maybe but Marek knows the hardware and when you closely look, he shows the display/lens distance with thumb and index and to indicate the movement he only moves his thumb that is in place of the display

1 Like

It’s possible but unfortunately only a guess. We do know the Hero was a relief mechanism that served both purposes. As long as one is fixed and the other moves will indeed adjust focus.

1 Like

I think they need to consider a foam which is thicker at the bottom or adjust the eye tracking software to accept different angles of the headset as a baseline.

1 Like

Or users simply buy some velcro tape and add it, where needed, between the headset and the foam…

2 Likes

One point that everyone seems to be missing among the “why did the 8KX ships with only one foam” uproar: if the eye-tracking needs a certain distance (thick foam) from the eyes to work, that will make it impossible for a large number of users (like myself) to use the thin foam.

I personally get the least amount of distortions when I use a thin foam (not to mention the wider FOV). I cannot use the thick foam. Period.

3 Likes

As far as I understood it’s only needed during calibration, right?

But how do you expect the calibrated units to perform properly if you substantially change the position of your eye after calibration ? It would seem to contradict the concept of a calibration, wouldn’t it.

But only Pimax (or users willing to experiment, e.g. by simply removing the foam entirely and testing the performance then) can really tell us, there is of course a possibility that what-ever needs to be calibrated is not affected by the change of position after all - so it’s definitely worth a try !

3 Likes

I only received the thin foam with my 8KX, and I can’t get the eye tracking to calibrate with it.

3 Likes

You’re right. It seems weird if it works.

A few layers of double-sided layers is an “OK” temporary solution, I guess (as You’ve also mentioned earlier)… :wink:

I didn’t want to count on Pimax delivering the two pieces of foam (and I don’t like the feel of the foam), so I just ordered a PU leather piece from VRMust, hoping it’ll fit fine (it’s thick but softer apparently)… :wink:

https://www.vrmust.com/collections/all/products/leather-cushion-face-pads-for-pimax-8kplus8kx

3 Likes

I just ordered one as well, thanks again for the link.

Agreed not relying on Pimax to include both, and asking for a missing one via ticket? Yeah sure, I really want to add another three months on to the wait to use an 8KX :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Exactly… :smiley: I’d rather be enjoying the X as soon as I possibly can… :wink:

4 Likes

Currently you will need a thick face cushion to use ET ( old og vive one is perfect for me ) and you cannot swap back to a thin one without re-calibration which will not work very well until they can increase the sensitivity a bit .
So the fov is a bit limited with ET enabled for me anyhow because I get better visuals with a thinner cushion

3 Likes

Update: Received the foam today (ordered 1st of September)… :+1:

Looks/feels good to me. Now all I need is the X… :grin:

3 Likes

I hope you get your 8kX very soon and you let us now if it feels considerably better with this face pad.

2 Likes

Yes. That’s the one… :+1::upside_down_face:

Thanks. Me too…! Will do… :+1::upside_down_face:

3 Likes

just saw you posted the link already :slight_smile: :no_mouth:

2 Likes