Eye Tracking Poll

No, I know. I just wanted to understand what you are getting at with latency. And I wanted to clarify that frame time is not latency, although often related to to some extent. In this specific case there is latency of translation and rotation of the headset and of the controllers, also of grip gestures and button presses, and of course then the latency of the eye tracking “input”, which I felt was more in the order of multiple hundreds of milliseconds. This was one reason why I could not “unsee” the sharp area lagging behind.

1 Like

Guys, what is the current status for somebody who hasn‘t really followed it in the past year: if I have the ET module and an 8KX.
How well or not does the mounting in the headset work by now, how finnicky is it, how stable once mounted ?
How reliable and simple is the calibration, which I understand is required every single time you use the headset ?
And, the million dollar question - once every of these hurdles is overcome: how well does DFR work (looking at the last posts above DrWilken seems to be quite pleased while PeterParker isn‘t).
And, here comes the two million dollar question: which apps, games are supported ?

3 Likes

Ah, I see… :+1::upside_down_face:

I felt the same way when running 60Hz, but on 120Hz I feel like it’s fast enough.

This is caused by the tracker losing your pupil, who knows why a step wasnt implemented to notify you that the runtime has lost one of your pupils instead of just crashing…

2 Likes

Please improve the SDK, I am a software developer and working with it is so awkward and confusing. Adding more demos for use with C# would help too.

2 Likes

1 Like

For me, completely stable. It’s popped out of the magnetic mounts a few times but only when wiping the lenses for example.

I have done it once, a long time ago and the config is saved so no need to redo.

In the first version of aSeeVR I had to redo every time.

To me, it works very well on 120Hz. 60 was/is annoying/underwhelming as there isn’t much, if any, benefits compared to FFR (which I don’t like as the rings are too obvious to me).

That’s maybe the biggest downside. There’s a lot of games it doesn’t work in.

So far, I’m not sure what’s the requirement as it seems to be a wide mix of new and old games that work. Sadly, one of the games that need it the most IMO, Project Cars 2, doesn’t work.

Generally, any game where FFR works will work with DFR.

Bonus info: The ET module lenses introduces glare. Not a lot but it’s there so keep that in mind if You hate glare as that’s one thing that Pimax lenses are know to not suffer from.

2 Likes

I removed the eye tracker myself, no matter what software improvements are implemented the physical device is terrible and cant be fixed. The added glare may not be noticeable to some people but for me its completely disqualifying. The magnets are terrible and the eye tracker fell out of its place every time I put the headset on. The lenses are so close to me now my eye lashes run against them even after doubling my foam thickness. To top it all off the actual eye tracking wasn’t very good.

All in all a beta device that wasn’t ready for release. A complete and total waste of my money.

6 Likes

Hi. Do you use for the 120hz another cable or the same short cable?

1 Like

I use the short USB 3.1 cable from AliExpress I linked.

EDIT: I’m actually using this one but the other one + angle adapter also works (“left right”/30cm) this just looks/fits nicer:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMityVz

2 Likes

Oh, there is better software now?

I was so fascinated with how 7invensun, which seems to rub shoulders with several big partners, couldn’t seem to produce a calibration program that wasn’t the epitome of: “programmer art”, and: “functionally basic slapdash thing never intended out of only the the very earliest internal prototyping”; Didn’t seem to have an exit button in-app, forcing you to alt-f4-or-something-like-that out; And reflected zero confidence in the company’s own product, given it wouldn’t show with a crosshairs or something where it thought you were looking, instead leaving you going all googly-eyed trying to blindly find some place usually nowhere near that small circle of discrete dots around the centre of the screen, where you can look to make them light up… :7

In my experience, the calibration tool is very weird, and if I went solely by that then the ET module would be hot garbage I would never touch.

It looks hideously inaccurate when I go off the calibration tool, but when I actually play a game, my eyes are quite accurately tracked for about 80% of my vision, some slight issues on the left eye’s outer edges. I was able to sort of fix that by pushing the ET module on that eye slightly further to the left, seems like it did not quite properly mount for optimal tracking.

I have no idea why that’s the case, but hey, as long as it works, right?

1 Like

How many hz do you get with “USB 3.1 cable from AliExpress I linked”? 100hz? Do you notice any lag? Thanks again.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I tested it but I got 120Hz and there was very little lag in the movement of the focus area.

We’re all different but for me it didn’t bother me on games like SkyrimVR.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.