Eye Tracking Module Reviews

1. I’ve had this happen too.

2. Works fine here, but not on 480p120. For me though, this is OK-ish in stuff like SkyrimVR.

3. One end of the supplied cable is straight and the other one is angled. To me, it’s obvious that the angled connector goes into the headset, right?

4. Seems it doesn’t matter which cable we use after all then… :rofl: Not quite sure why people are hunting down the 120Hz option of it doesn’t change anything? Is it just a case of “bigger, better, faster” fever? :upside_down_face:

5. Me too, but only a short one to replace the one they supplied.

What is the exposure truck supposed to do? Fix calibration of it doesn’t work? (Does for me. Maybe due to blue eyes?)

2 Likes

Not sure - there is a thread about it and it’s something seemingly going amiss when upgrading to the last 7invesun driver.

120hz seems nice, I tried to get it so that I would precive less lag in terms of eyes focus and DFR zone - but without seeing what it does in game (Edit: I do see DFR at work, but nothing showing in which mode it’s working) I have no clue if it cares that it could run at 120hz… Since I can sometimes see the DFR zone move I had hoped that would be totally removed when using 120hz capabil cable.

2 Likes

Exactly. It seems like it’s just slow to respond/react… :wink:

Hopefully that can be tweaked whatever the cause is… :+1:

2 Likes

I guess or hope a mix of the driver and configs🙏

2 Likes

so its the eye tracker working for 8kx , but not 5k+ etc ?

1 Like

I tested it on the 8Kx, where it does work, just not quite as easy as it could be as of know now.

I havent had time to go back to the other Hmds.

1 Like

So, the conclusion so far is that it can work on the 8KX, but only with some massive down-sides, and actually will require a good deal of fiddling around not only once, but pretty much as long as one wishes to use it ?

Hmmm, I guess I should consider selling off my sealed ET package then. Doesn’t sound like something I want to put up with even if there is a slim chance at the end that it might kind of work… it’s a pity but I guess I should have expected this. I would be willing to put up with some efforts if it truly worked w/o too many trade-offs on other features of the headset and the efforts were not of recurring nature.

7 Likes

I am not sure why it’s so quite about the ET…
I would really hope we get some more Info at least and an update soon that makes it “Plug n Play”. @PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA .

I think it’s a good think - but it should really be more plug n play - alone the hardware installation is quite a bit of work. At least some official How to Videos would be nice that are on the site. It’s too much experimenting (ok I am an IT Nerd so I kind of enjoy that) for most people and little help to solving the issues.

8 Likes

Perhaps, because…is just another not-shipping product really??? Another item announced but practically undelivered since years…the oh so familiar curse of Pimax…

Klaus - we shipped thousands of them and together with 7invensun provided multiple software and firmware updates. We also have another major update coming up.

3 Likes

I was just about to say that I’m pretty sure I have an eye tracking module mounted on my 8KX… :grin:

4 Likes

As we have with all the other items headsets, accessories etc. we will continue to release updates that provide genuine improvements.

A lot of people forget when we released the 8k and 5k+ the firmware only provided 1 fov, 1 refresh rate, no ability to adjust brightness or colors etc. Those users have received many updates that provided countless tangible improvements. We managed to get 5k+ all the way to 110Hz/144Hz 2 years after release with a free firmware update for most users.

8 Likes

I don’t doubt that. But in all fairness, the numbers or in the wild are to be considered homeopathic at best. Look at their store page… 6- 8 weeks for eye and handtracking … AFTER cashing in the money, and as this fair straight into CNY break it’ll be April better they ship…So, practically NOT shipping as of current .with their notorious records on pathetic delays, sorry, no purchase from me and nothing I would recommend to anyone in even remote friendship.

2 Likes

Sure… you surely also sent out thousands of KDMAS straps - so why is it then still I am waitiung on mine paid for last November despite having received the other orders (plus finally my LS base i PAID for in 2017 and is a shippng item with Valve and Pimax since long) only after getting obnoxious late November ? (not in time to participate in the pushed 8KX event as repeatedly promised? Pimax (as the company, so please do not takle this personally) managed to p… off a faithful backer and customer on your very own behalf by following suit your tradition)

Let’s just be honest on that Pimax has not the best reputation when it comes from annoucing availability until in hands of the buyer. Or, can you guarrantee, that if I am laying my money down for an item “on stock” (i.e. the handtracking module) it will ship within what is deemed timely manner of a couple of working days instead of the 6-8 weeks given on the website?

We’re very sorry you don’t have your backer box or base stations yet. It’s no fun to wind up without an item when you see others reporting that they have it - I certainly sympathize with that!

I don’t know the circumstances behind your case but am happy to learn and help if I can - PM me with your details and I’ll see if I can assist you.

4 Likes

Yes, but again, this was urgently needed to leverage the headsets to a competing level … also some may forget that some updates along the way also introduced essential changes to the original hardware which rendered the headsets advertised as the future of VR obsolete before even being shipped. Similar goes for both tracking modules, reading through the reviews, they need to be considered strill in early experimental phase. Not that I would bve concerned about that and it would keep me from ordering - but it shows the software needs to go through quite a few iteration loops.

Being a product developer/manager myself, I believe this level of product support providing frequent “free of charge” updtaes is the least a company, especially like Pimax should have considered ( and continue to) to create a solid reputation being a trustful supplier of high profile hardware.

Because that’s the elephant in the room: if it is trageted as high profile hardware, it requires high profile support - if it is experimental tinkerer hardware it should be promoted, priced and preferrably made available as that (e.g. technically the HDK2 is no bad headset to my eyes (pun intended) and at time of appearance had amongst the highest resolution and lowest SDE available). Speaking of it: what ever happened with the announcement going open source with the firm/software, btw?

1 Like

I do have a box with the eye-tracking module here too. Un-opened, so far. Because what I read here was so discouraging in terms of the chances & efforts to make it work and useful beyond a mere proof of concept application that I decided to leave it in its box until either a) reports start to come in in numbers of users who managed to make it work purposefully or b) the absence of such reports has been long enough for me to decide to sell it off.

7 Likes

Same here. Have not taken it out of the box. Any one using it and having good success with foveate rendering? Supposedly the 120hz now works over the usb 2 port on the 5k+ So you do not need to hook it directly to the computer, is this correct?

2 Likes

same here :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.