Eye-Tracking Module (CES 2020)

I’m in the same situation with my GTX1080. But what keeps me away from getting a Backer-Upgrade-Plan, is the slight intention, that the next generation Nvidia GPU-card would base on ePCI4.0. Like it is supported from the leading AMD CPU and Intel CPUs have to catch up to that technology. If so, my actual Intel mainboard would be outdated and I have to make up my mind, how much I will invest.

Let’s hope the RTX3080TI will support ePCI3.0

1 Like

You do know that putting pci-e 3.0 hardware into a 4.0 slot works ? (thankfully since you can barely count the number of pci-e 4.0 x16 compatible gpus on 1 hand), just like 2.0 hardware worked on 3.0 slot and so on.
And by the way, graphic cards don’t even use the full capabilities of pci-e 3.0 x8 for now (which is basically the same thing as 2.0 x16), so 4.0 x16 will not bring anything significant for them either (but some other components like nvme SSD will).

2 Likes

Yep, I also found the article at techpowerup. The advantage was 2-3% in that test.
I’m worrying if the industry will bring the “new standard”, just while it is the newest for marketing purpose.

My problem would be, that I can’t put a pci-e 4.0 grapiccard in a 3.0 slot, as the male part of the connector at card will be longer than the female slot at the mainboard.

Even that 2-3% is exaggerated because in the end, it’s not just the GPU which gain access to more bandwidth, but the whole system (so it can’t exactly be said that a 4.0 compatible GPU is the reason for those gain).

techpowerup already did the test with PCIE 4.0 : PCI-Express 4.0 Performance Scaling with Radeon RX 5700 XT | TechPowerUp

Once again, PCI standards are compatible both ways, at long as you use the multiplier. 16x is the same socket whatever the gen, but won’t necessarily enter a 1x, 4x or 8x socket.

PCIE 4.0 16x GPU do work on PCIE 3.0 16x socket/motherboard.
AMD wouldn’t sell their Radeon 5700 XT to only a niche of people already equipped with PCIE 4.0 16x motherboard. that would be suicide, but once again, there is nothing to fear since the PICE standards works both ways.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.