[Extension confirmed to at least Jan 31st] Extend the Pimax upgrade program

The 31st is only 10 days away. Any word on the extension?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about that too much

3 Likes

That’s what Mr Murdoch told Captain Smith when a lookout said he saw an iceberg ahead.

6 Likes

I would like to know as well. I won’t order until I see a review comparison between the 8kx and the 8k+

1 Like

I don’t see what you’re hoping from that review as a deciding factor: the detail resolution of the 8K+ will be at most 20% better de 5K+ same input but better panels and maybe better optimization.

The only way you can decide is the 8K+ is enough for you is to try them both. I’m not telling you to rush your purchase either but better than a comparisons between the 8K+ and the 8K why not wait to see if Pimax is able to product the 8K+ or 8KX in quality + quantity.

If your cash flow is the main deciding factor go for the 8K+ if the best VR image is the main factor go for the 8KX with the integrated upscale it’s a winning combo no need of a review for that …

But full reviews are still required to purchase either one! in one phrase you don’t need at this stage a full review to compare 8KX vs 8K+ specification are enough ! Read double resolution!

2 Likes

I want to see if the resolution is noticeable between the 2. If they’re not really noticeable I’ll get the 8k+. I dont play dcs or whatever that flight simulator is called. I play games like boneworks,blade & sorcery, and soon the walking dead.

Has a backer I was in the same dilemma. Like many of us here I have read and see almost all reviews and I still don’t know for sure it should have prefer the 8K vs my 5K+. if you have a 5K+ the 8K+ is a nice upgrade for the SDE not worth the $$ for the diff unless you can’t spare more. 999$ is still a lot of money for only 20% in resolution+ and some day the games you play will have better textures. but again you have free will :wink:

1 Like

you did see the thru the lens pictures by sweviver? no?

1 Like

It’s not just reviews holding up a decision for some of us. Can’t order if Pimax gives you two different answers to the same question, can an additional BS be added to the KS order? In the meantime ticktock.

2 Likes

For my part it’s wait and see no rush! Yes the 8K+ and 8KX seems very interesting but the all package deal must also be. Head Strap, sound, build quality and support.

I did but I rather see a video comparison. Maybe I’ll just get the comfort kit and the mas instead.

Im waiting for long term users to review, the eye strain that the 5K+ and 8K had for some users wasnt really apparent until you used the headset for half hour or more. I couldnt get used to the strain it put on my eyes even after fiddling with all the IPD software and hardware

1 Like

To look at differently check out a QHD monitor vs a 4k monitor of same size. Or a 4k monitor fed with a qhd image.

If I recall correctly you have difficulty seeing sde so you probably wouldn’t notice much of a difference. Finer details generally won’t be as sharp.

There does indeed seem to be a “noticeable” improvement, based on YT interviews. If you never play games with fine details and don’t think you’ll use it for virtual desktop or watching movies, then you should probably get an 8K+.

If you can afford the price, I’d suggest the 8KX, which imo is the first gen-2 VR headset. I think it will have a longer useful life, so I’ve ordered an 8KX (and I play games where the details are important, like Elite D).

3 Likes

+1 on this : if the 8K+ was let say 699$ but at 999$ if you have already a 8K or a 5K+ it’s a tough sell… and don’t we forget that pimax has no exclusivity on this tech except for the lens. I would not be surprised if next Year Valve give us a new index V2.0 headset with increased resolution using the same chip and a new panel but with the same FOV.

3 Likes

On my 5K+ SDE is an annoyance only for the sky and distant objects, I wish for more resolution and better colors. Since the full DAS is require to fully enjoy the kit paying 30% more is justified.

but this is still an extremely pricey kit, if you don’t have any large FOV headset and price is a strong factor, maybe wait for a 8K+ in special.

3 Likes

I can back your opinion, I just retry my old 5K+ with the latest firmware and still find some real annoyances. with Pimax it’s never a easy out of the box experience. Also canted displays are not for every one

2 Likes

Another review

Seems as though the distortion issues are not all gone

1 Like

Yea, if you look at older threads, this issue was stated over and over by many users,and there are many threads about this, Pimax is aware, I think thats why the implemented the extra IPD software adjustments which didnt fix issue for me…

Also anytime I bring up the extended use eye strain and IPD issues on 8K+ or 8KX, or tag Pimax employees about the eye strain and IPD issues, on social media or here in the forum, it just goes ignored, Im suspecting nothing was done about it.

2 Likes

Hi stixvr.

I have the same issue with eyestrain, have tried all the hardware and software IPD adjustments and nothing fixes the issue.
My 8k has been gathering dust for the last 12-13 months albeit apart from trying new Pitool firmware’s when they have been released to see if they help mitigate the problem. No joy.

I recently asked to RMA citing my issue and the reply was to send me a thicker foam and they also stated in the reply “But we can judge that this issue cannot be a product issue.” They are telling me that there is nothing wrong with the product?! How the hell can they be so sure when there are multiple people having the same issue.

To add insult to injury they said they cannot guarantee that the thicker foam will work and if it’s the same then maybe I am not suitable for VR products.

So they are basically saying it’s not the headset that is the problem I am.
WTF!!!

I have other headsets and can use them with no issues I have also tried thicker foam/padding which didn’t work which I told them when I sent the ticket.

@PimaxQuorra

5 Likes