[Extension confirmed to at least Jan 31st] Extend the Pimax upgrade program

I will certainly give your suggestion back to the team and let you know the result.
Because it involves the company’s sales policy. Thank you.

1 Like

The easiest way to fix this is to not preorder. It is not like Pimax is holding you at gunpoint saying “you must preorder”. Actually, you do not have to. But if you do and do it at the terms Pimax defines then it seems to me rather strange to complain later about them being unfair.

4 Likes

He was explaining in extent that he is NOT preordering ATM exactly due to this but also why it is in the very interest of Pimax to get preorders and even more provided a sane proposal of how to process this.

Funnily enough I currently have several preorders 2with local, 2 with US based companies processed exactly like this that they initiate a transfer with pay pal but only call the transfer on or close to shipping (actually one even has a 30% preorder siscount although they only charge on shipment).

If that was the case with 8KX my upgrade preorder was initiated since long and I could immagine many more following this. If you have put your money down, you expect your goods to be delivered in the time given at signing the deal, if you just reserve a slot, things are very different and people will be way more forgiving and patient. This would GREATLY help the situation Pimax has put themselves in since start of the campaign and still is looking for a way out. - Here it is.

So, my strong advise to @Matthew.Xu is to bring this up with management to become the new strategy for Pimax helping to re-establish faith and also, literally buy some time.

I replied to the statement that “it must be rectified”, which I argued with that it does not have to be and explained why.

In general, the advanced payment is an accepted solution (I even remember that some preorders where charged only when they were actually shipped). The reason is not only “to have the skin of the seller in this”, but also to actually complete the transaction as late as possible, because, technically, you are lending the money to the seller.

While I could easily imagine it working with anyone else, I have hard times imagine, it would work with Pimax. I was quite surprised when they started this scheme (pay now, get the goods sometime later, where later was several months later) with the first preorders and they were successful so they are doing it again. The easiest way to show them it is not acceptable is actually to not accept it.

5 Likes

But you are all aware, that the upgrade plan will be available until the strechgoals are send out. So by extending the deadline for the upgradeplan it is a confirmation, that nothing will be send out until the new deadline. So i personally don’t think of this as good news…

3 Likes

I updated the title to reflect that the extended-to date is still unconfirmed.

3 Likes

And that’s the point: I think we all agree on that … if they wan tour money, the ball definitely is in their court now.

If they not changing their strategy to a “reservation” or at least down payment they running high risk losing the deal altogether as people might change their minds based on how deadlines are missed and communication is totlally broken. Also, competition is not sitting still… so CES comes may turn another page. Desperately trying to force people into laying their money down first in the curretn situation with nothing to prove progress (hardly anyone has even seen a 8KX) will not safe them any.

1 Like

Well we all know by now that the MAS, being the most anticipated stretch goal won’t be ready going into production until end of January, whcih is ridiculous as it coincides with Chinese new year and hints towards a realistic shipping date not before end Q1. You do the math what that means for 8K plus supposed to be shipping with it - and even more so the 8KX scheduled 3 months after the plus.

Then they have cancelled the prescription frame and fan stretch altogether making them an “on request” item. Clearly, they don’T want to do that and probably never will.

Wireless module? best guess is 2025 at the current pace. Eyetracking is worthless without the game supporting it - hen egg problem, 2021?

So what does leqave us that with? Additional Pad and 3 pieces of content. Last being their only “weapon” to threat us into meeting the deadline which has been shown not enough.

So, clearly the MUST extent the deadline if they really want us to forfeit the stretch goals they try to avoid producing by all means.

If I was in their shoes I had simply gone offering a sane and reasonable “trade the prescription/fan, face pad, 3pcs contents stretches for a comfort kit+ silicone cover” (which they are going to produce in numbers anyway) and accept the wireless and downgrade coupons against everything in the store (including upgrading the MAS to Deluxe). I am sure this would turn the situation immediately by making most people happy and greatly help to calm the situation at minimal costs.

2 Likes

Was it stated here on the forum? I was hoping the prescription frame was a “no-brainer” item.

they released a 3d file for people to self-print however it doesn’t work, both the lens adaptor and fan were said to be “on request” items that a web page would be created for however there is still no webpage for them while they try to push more people to give up their stretch goals… they haven’t been “cancelled” as such, at least not yet, but they are clearly not priority items and they seem to be hoping people will just forget about them

the statement about a web page coming to request items was said in Pimax Day (1 or 2 I don’t remember)

2 Likes

Any news…?. we have less than 2 weeks to buy if finally there isn’t a date for the extension.

1 Like

Hi Matthew, has this confirmation been secured by now ? If so, please communicate this VISIBLY in the forum.

If not, I suppose Pimax have good reasons for not extending the deadline.

The most obvious ones would be that either a) the products are not performing as advertised and the first more thorough hands-ons will reveal that or b) the products are in a poor shape and it will take much longer than currently announced to ship them.

In both cases the recommendation to backers at this stage can only be to NOT pre-order.

So if Pimax do not extend the deadline despite the products not being reviewed nor out in the field with the first backers already, Pimax are telling us a lot when they remain silent, if you know what I mean. It would reveal a glaring lack of confidence in your upcoming line of products.

Of course the next best explanation would be that Pimax are just hurting themselves with unwise decision-making, but that is only the third-most likely scenario in my view.

5 Likes

@Matthew.Xu, is the backer deadline officially extended past Dec. 31st? If so, what is the new date?

6 Likes

@Matthew.Xu @PimaxUSA any update on the upgrade extension? We are 11 days from it expiring

3 Likes

Yes please @Matthew.Xu, I don’t know what to do. I want to know when is the limit to buy 8Kx or 8K+ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will bring this up on the next meeting (maybe tomorrow). Personally I think it should be extended at least until Jan 31st, after CES and US roadshow. I will do my best to push for it.

9 Likes

We should be able to opt-out permanently before the deadline if we don’t want the upgrade option so they can get on with sending stretch goals.

4 Likes

Do you know if the regular upgrade plan for non backers ends or no? Want to wait after they start shipping before I buy.

1 Like

Should be extended until all buyable options are shown. I mean, they ask me if I want to buy the deluxe headphones for an extra $100… But no one’s ever seen them, and more importantly, no one’s ever listened. Does that make sense?

12 Likes

I mean the accessories have to ship eventually? How exactly is pimax going to start shipping them if they don’t know who is going to accept the offer to not receive them and who isnt?

The longer it takes for the upgrade plans to expire the longer it takes until they start shipping the accessories.

1 Like