Expecting Pimax 8KX reviews [Review]

Everyone on the forums

js-waiting

Everyone who got their unit.

19 Likes

I’m going to stream the unboxing on my twitch channel, so people can AMA in real time.

But no shipping info yet, these next few weeks of waiting are going to be really painful.

4 Likes

What’s your backer no.?

1 Like

I’m 2917 in the kickstarter.

I think I’m 397 on the 8KX list, can’t remember where to find that info now tho.

I switched my pledge from 5k+ to 8KX at the last minute when one of the slots was freed up, so I’m literally one of the last 8KX backers.

Pimax said that they aren’t respecting the order of 8KX backers, they will be shipping geographically, so hopefully for me that means I can jump the queue a litttle.

4 Likes

I know …it’s so weird right maybe it’s not such a big leap from the 5k plus and the other head sets!! Or maybe they are having to much fun and forgot about us, I myself just finished using my 5k plus as a last days salute to it for holding me down these 2 or so years.

3 Likes

Lol…yeah I’ve been king of wondering when we’ll get some impressions from those who have gotten them so far. I’ve really only seen one person give some early impressions so far.

2 Likes

Have any games or experiences you want me to try it with? I have quite a few games, but not DCS or Onward.

Also, I need to figure out the steamvr setting I need to change to bump up the max rendering resolution before I can give it a full review.

Initial impressions:

• The comfort kit is comfortable, it seems a little like the faux-velvet will soak up sweat.
  • The SMAS audio is pretty good, better than I expected but like @SweViver said, it lacks punch in the bass. I also have an Oculus Go (and a DK2, Vive, Rift, Index, and an 8k) and the audio from the SMAS sounds better than the Oculus Go in my opinion.
  • SDE is fully gone, just threw the headset on and tried looking around and seeing if I could see it and I can’t.
  • Distortions, there are some at the very edges of view (on LARGE FOV mode), when I push the headset against my head more they seem to lessen, so hopefully the thin foam (which was not in my box) solves that. Once again, it’s at the very edges of your vision, if you are looking forward you can’t see it.
  • Tracking with the V1 lighthouses works perfectly, syncing to the knuckles controllers required one of them to be rebooted a few times but otherwise connected nice and quick.
  • Games seem to work well and are quite readable but I need to up the max resolution of steamvr to allow for higher resolutions.

So, what else do you want to hear about?

15 Likes

How is the brightness? Can you compare it to other headsets like 5K+?

4 Likes

Did your wife rate is 10 stars? Is it better than the Index?

Hi thank you for sharing, how would you rate the colours and contrast? Has the clarity Improved as much as you were expecting? Great on no Sde!!! :0)

1 Like

Thanks for the impressions. Of course it’ll likely take time to come to a final conclusion, but in your initial impressions do you feel like it is an upgrade over your Index?

1 Like

The situation isn’t as bad as you think. Your backer position is determined by your original position (for any headset) NOT the date you switched to 8KX. At least that’s what happened to me. I had a fairly early order for a 5K and switched to an 8K at the last minute. I got my 8K earlier than many others.

Of course, this is assuming you didn’t change backer numbers. Did you CHANGE your original pledge? If so, you should be earlier in the queue. If you CANCELED your 5K pledge and made a new one for the 8KX, then you probably did reset your position in the queue.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.