Elite Dangerous

How many of you are looking forward to using your new 5K/8K/8KX headset to play ED?

What are you most looking forward to?

I’ve never played ED in VR, although I’ve played it in 3D on my monitor with NVidia LCD shutter glasses. I’m hoping VR will rekindle my enjoyment of ED and I’m planning to go on the Distant Worlds 2 expendition. I think it will be even better than my first trip, due to the increase in immersiveness.

What are your thoughts?

4 Likes

Maybe a 10, maybe just nothing.
But watching this will let you chuckle a lot :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Someone recommended ED to me for my Pimax 4K without positional tracking to enjoy. I bought a HOTAS right after I tried it because flying in VR with a joystick is so immersive. I was not too happy with the smal fov but it’s allright. I will definitly be flying more again when I get my 8K

3 Likes

I only play elite dangerous in VR with hotas and voice attack. Once in a while I play in 2D when I have to find materials on a planet.

If you play in VR you don’t want to go back to 2D any more. Fly safe.

5 Likes

I play ED and other games in the rift since 2017 and I never will go back to flatgaming at all! I also had the odyssey and the vive, but the rift is the best for me (best controllers, best compatibility/performance, best sweet spot, best comfort)

3 Likes

I have been preparing for exactly this for a while now.
Got a Buttkicker for my chair, new HOTAS (X-56), set up Voice Attack (with Alix HCS + COVAS), new quality headphones.
Now I just wait for the 8K and the next graphics card, already have the money for it.

I’ve put ED on ice for now, always good to take a break every now and then, but I’ll be SMASHING it when everything arrives.

2 Likes

I play ED only in VR, and it‘s one of my top three games - especially if you consider the longevity because as great as my beloved Skyrim etc. are, once they‘re done they‘re done. I rarely revisited Skyrim after playing the campaign, many side quests and the DLC‘s although I did enjoy being in that environment. With ED it is sort of tidal, it comes and goes, I will go 1-2 months without playing it and then again start to play and want to get in there every second day. It‘s just really great to sit there and feel you are out there, even if not that much is happening content-wise. The game mechanics are really great and I just hope they will continue to expand it year for year for a long time.

And yes, once the 8K is on my head, I expect that to boost the experience to a new level, and I will be joining the Distant Worlds II expedition too. There are occasions in Elite, e.g. in space ports, where the SDE is annoying, the low resolution in general. This probably may be a bit of a bummer for those who come from monitor Elite gaming, the loss of detail & resolution. But otherwise it will be a revelation to them.

I also await my Forcefeel o8 haptic feedback seat cover, that should also improve things. And some distant day, I may add a motion rig, be it the FeelThree or another…

4 Likes

I play Elite exclusively in VR, to the point where on the very few occasions that I’ve tried playing it on a monitor I cannot dock, land, navigate, or even shoot straight :D. Everything in the game is just so intuitive in VR, honestly it’s a joy to play even if I am using a Vive with all it’s SDE and god rays.

I am so looking forward to getting the 8K so that my immersion can be ramped up to the next level, although it might mean a little investment in a better PC (1080ti GPU but still running an X58 motherboard and first gen I7 CPU). I just bought the Krait mk II and completely engineered it, and it has one of the best cockpit views in the game (as long as you ignore all of the trailing cables and duct tape everywhere :D), hunting Thargoids in this thing is great, and I hope it’ll be even better in widescreen VR.

4 Likes

I started out with shutters it was neat, but boy are you in for a treat when you start playing in VR. Night and day. Ed can be boring and grindy at times, but I always return to it because there are so many ways to play it. It is an amazing bang for the buck.
While I admire the effort that goes into a Distant Worlds expedition, I spent a lot of time exploring (been to Sag A) and it can be quite boring. Every once and awhile you do come across an extraordinary vista but they are few and far between. I am hoping the new updates improve on the redundant nature of a lot of the systems. I did drop into a system once that had a neutron start almost in contact with a white giant star. It was spinning so fast that the lightshow was captivating as hell. As I turned to escape it’s influence I found myself looking at a nearby blackhole also in fairly close orbit. It was one of those discoveries that made it all worthwhile.
There is already an advantage in having VR in combat and I suspect that the 200 fov will only increase that. I am looking forward to that edge in flightsims and racing as well.

3 Likes

That was quite funny! :smiley: I haven’t played ED for ages and haven’t tried it in VR, even though I have a Vive setup and a HOTAS. That said however, I’m going back to the game when my 8K arrives. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since may 2016 never touched ED in 2D mode. 1000hr in ED Vr , triple Elite, currenty crafting guardians module…

2 Likes

Frame shift booster, well worth it ;).

2 Likes

yes , crafted it Today, now thinking about guardian power distributor …

1 Like

[quote=“Yata_PL, post:13, topic:6899, full:true”]
yes , crafted it Today, now thinking about guardian power distributor …
[/quote]Hmm, that one’s only really worth it if you couldn’t be bothered to engineer a standard one. It gets close to a fully engineered module, but not quite. On my Krait I have the FSD booster, large shard cannons, Guardian module and hull reinforcements (careful with these, I forgot that they were powered modules and ended up facing a 'goid with a dead ship after I deployed my hardpoints :fearful:) and a couple of remote flak cannons for the swarm. I tried it out last night and with a wingmate took out 4 'goids without too much trouble.

2 Likes

Elite dangerous, space is empty and so is this game.

I’ve seen it before, but it was funny enough to watch again! :smiley:

That’s one of the reasons I decided to back the 8K. I noticed that a number of ED and 4K owners were 8K backers.

[quote=“Delphinus.Combaticus, post:6, topic:6899, full:true”]Got a Buttkicker for my chair, new HOTAS (X-56), set up Voice Attack (with Alix HCS + COVAS), new quality headphones.
Now I just wait for the 8K and the next graphics card, already have the money for it.[/quote]
I’ve considered a Buttkicker, but decided having all the wires attached to my chair would be too much of a day-to-day hassle. Voice Attack is great! I have the Obsidian HCS.

That’s the best way to avoid getting bored with ED. I often take a break for 1 or 2 weeks. Last night was the first time I played ED after a break. I played “Life is Strange” (all 5 episodes). It’s VERY different from ED. It was a very emotional experience. Highly recommended.

I went on the first DWE and I agree. Exploring can get boring. You need a high tolerance for repetition. I’ve been to Sag A* twice. The second trip was much more enjoyable, due to the addition of neutron star boosts. Those definitely help break the monotony of long distance travel.

Yeah, me too. I’m currently off exploring, but I plan to get one before the start of DWE 2.

Respectfully, I disagree. I have a fully engineered AspX which has a 50 lyr jump range, but I want to improve that before tackling DWE 2. Another 10 lys will really add up on a long voyage.

2 Likes

[quote=“neal_white_iii, post:16, topic:6899, full:true”]Respectfully, I disagree. I have a fully engineered AspX which has a 50 lyr jump range, but I want to improve that before tackling DWE 2. Another 10 lys will really add up on a long voyage.
[/quote]I was referring to the power distributor, not the FSD booster ;).

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I certainly won’t bother with a distributor; when I’m off exploring, I turn it off to conserve power (along with all other non-essential modules, like shields and the SRV bay).

1 Like

I elimineted god-rays by lens swap , this mod give you also huge bonus to clarity
It’s munch easest now waiting for Pimax 8k

1 Like

To answer the OP, Elite Dangerous is my only game at the moment…

1 Like