Elite Dangerous through the lenses

There’s usually a mirrored video output on the desktop as well which should be enough to navigate by, but from what I’ve seen I am cautiously optimistic the pips won’t be an issue.

Can’t wait to have actual peripheral vision in the cockpits of the Elite ships.

Thanks for the video - this will be my primary use case for the PiMAX8K and so far it looks great and I’m really glad I backed it :slight_smile:

I’d be really interested to see how it copes with flying over a planet surface in the Horizons update for a future video.

2 Likes

Question for anyone who already played ED in VR - is it normal that the center of view is so far to the front? There was basically no shot in the video which will show the whole front view including the HUD.

I am quite familiar with the Sidewinder cockpit from 2D version, but if I had to be seated so close to the windshield and turn my head every time I need to see each individual instrument, I would consider it quite impractical.

In a Vive, with camera position freshly reset to the headrest of the flight chair, you can see the entire holofac dashboard, from left to right, and then some, when looking straight ahead. In a Rift, they are clipped a little.

EDIT: …so yes; Text will be a bit farther away (and consequently render smaller, becoming more resolution critical) when playing the game, than seen in this video.

2 Likes

No. I can say from hours of gamplay it feels perfectly natural… at least for the Rift and Vive. Only thing your stuck with is low res and SDE which is why were all here :wink:

5 Likes

THIS IS A VIDEO @deletedpimaxrep1

Well made.

1 Like

Important question

Has The pimax 8K of Elite Dangerous video the old lenses ?

Basically is this Pimax 8K the same of CES or is a little debugged ?

2 Likes

Very nice video, great work!

3 Likes

Well he could engage the docking computer so we could admire a station during auto docking.

1 Like

all i would say to that is i dont play it, so i have no idea that thats possible, and given they are just loading up games to show them on headset they may not have known about the docking computer. Maybe they skipped that part due to bad manual flying XD

best video so far. quality is great, contrast and everything.
one concern is the motion blur, you can’t read the text while moving your head, is it because of the lower refresh rate ?

1 Like

I think the blur is an artifact of the video camera. 4K video is normally shot at 30 fps (at best), so with ~80 fps display, ~2 frames are exposed for each frame of video. When I single stepped through the video (to get crisp shots of pixels and SDE) I noticed that most frames were double exposed.

1 Like

Now THAT is what I’ve been waiting to see! The vast majority of my VR time is spent in Elite Dangerous, so I can really appreciate the difference between the Pimax 8k and my HTC Vive.

4 Likes

Simply amazing !

Now its time to control the anxiety (again) :smile:

2 Likes

Srsly. Just based on this video alone, if there are no godrays and it’s that clear, you guys are gonna whale on your competition.

4 Likes

im still busting to know how it all feels with 80hz max ,cant wait for the testing

The stations will look bad, the Elite graphics engine is and has been bad for flickering and shimmering since the game came out, they told every one they would fix it but never did.

Do one on Project Cars please.

1 Like

text is blurry because the cockpit brightness it too high (they should of dropped the colour brightness in the functions panel of the game. Also the default ‘orange’ hud colour in ED is known by everyone who used VR in ED that it is not an optimised colour for vr - text is hard to read and you do get blurry images on the holograms… there are much better graphics colour options - for instance here is one of my videos from youtube - the video was from the screen recording (not in lens) but its more to show the colours on the hud which is a better one than the default orange. : Elite Dangerous 'VR Ultra' Gameplay with Pimax 4k - YouTube
… my 4k does not give blurry colours on the text or holograms.

Eno

2 Likes

Yes, the video seems to be overexposed. My understanding is that the problem of orange text in VR is (in large part) due to the OLED Pentile arrangement of the sub-pixels (used by the Rift and Vive), which has twice as many green sub-pixels as the red or blue ones. The Pimax 8K will have complete RGB sub-pixels for every full pixel. (If that’s not clear, read this: Pentile OLEDs: introduction and market status | OLED Info and this: http://www.tested.com/tech/smartphones/1868-pentile-vs-real-stripe-amoled-displays-whats-different/ ). I think the Pimax will display readable text in any color, including orange, but the white color you use should be clearest of all, since the entire pixel will be fully lit.

1 Like