Early impressions with my 8K X [Review]

For Test, you can use a 6-10mm Vive Pad. Works great for me with Comfort Kit.

The 5k foam is also thinner, if i remember right…

The old foam pieces can be found here:

It seems they’re 13.5mm and 15mm.

I think the cowling that is used when not using the comfort kit is a different thickness to the headset/lenses though.

EDIT: I seem to recall there was an even thinner one too? 11mm perhaps?

Thanks for the suggestion! I just tried my 5k+ foam on my 8kX and distortion is much much less. Almost gone!

16 Likes

One more thing i found out: Sometimes the hmd does just show a faint gray screen and the power light turns purple. To get rid of it neither HMD nor pimax service restart helps. To avoid that you have to plug in first USB 3.0 plug (thicker cable) and after a few seconds, after you her the windows sound of detecting the headset you plug in the second USB plug. This way the HMD works normally.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing your impressions.

2 Likes

Deactivate the Screensaver :wink:

1 Like

The current lenses sweetspot size was the main reason/issue I did not opt for eyetracking when ordering my X, because you won’t get a clearer picture when glancing at the sides anyway. So I might end up using FFR and move my head while looking straight ahead…

There are lens mod/swap for other headsets… would it be easy enough to changes lenses if Pimax comes up with better lenses?

2 Likes

Take a look with the Reverb… Sweetspot? What Sweetspot… Ahhh, here, 1x1cm

1 Like

That is why I sold my Reverb (among other issues)!

hmm, i think i got something wrong here. The sweetspot of the 8kX was smaler than the sweetspot of the 5k+. But this was mainly because of the thick facefoam of the CK. Now, after putting the facefoam of the 5k+ on the 8kX (in a way emulating the thinner facefoam) the sweetspot is the same and the distortions are much much better - almost gone.

Personally i think that especially with the blurry part of the lens (after normal until large fov) the advantage of improved performance of eye-tracking is huge and should not be dismissed. Or again: I think even because of the burriness of the outer fov the eye-tracking will do wonders for performance.

4 Likes

Eye tracking DFR perf gain should be similar to FFR.

I do not understand this part.

Thats why i am interested to check out the Reverb G2 because MRTV stated that the sweetspot of the G2 is almost all FOV. On the other Hand an 8kX is a G2 on stereoids anyway :crazy_face:

4 Likes

should be even better because you can configure it being more aggressive because it moves with your gaze

2 Likes

Remember the sheer size of the field of view. Glancing that far out isn’t something you do frequently; it involves consciously holding your head still and ignoring the other eye. In effect, you only do this when trying to not reveal where you’re looking. There’s still a trackable range that would be useful for interaction, e.g. targeting.

The gains of DFR may be more arguable simply because FFR hits the more common case, and the underlying VRS is actually the big gains not just from maching retina resolution but reducing shader rates at the wider angles (aka lens matched shading). In essence, DFR targets the corner case discomfort more so than the baseline performance.

2 Likes

When reading I never move my head, only eyes. Maybe its sweetspot is enough for reading?

I play driving sims and I often glance at side windows and side mirrors. Here sweetspot of 5k+ clearly was not good enough. Maybe clarity is improved by the res under the lens blur compared to 5k+?

Wow! Do the others Pimax 8KX owners see the same?
@LoneTech? @industria?

1 Like

@mimaximax …öhhmm… i think, under $7000 there is no bigger sweetspot to find …
This is not possible with flat lenses

For reading, the 8K X does okay. Not amazingly, but again, I’m used to chasing resolution for real. By comparison any other headset I’ve tried does poorly (most by resolution, the ST1080 by field of view). I think the side mirror task is where this will really be a problem. That task may require a multi-lens system (I’ve seen one headset do it, with three or four display panels, but I can’t remember which), and a surround display sim pit would likely look better, though it takes some space.

4 Likes

Yes, so I won’t pay more than I already paid for X for eye tracking I guess. I might (will surely) have a great experience with the X though (I would not have bought if I thought otherwise).

1 Like

Just FYI in my tests with FFR and DFR for myself on FFR if I look directly forward I can still see the lower res concentric area and even slight movements of my eye make it more “obvious” even when I’m looking close to dead center. For FFR it’s something I “notice” all the time and even when I use the conservative setting it becomes very noticeable with just slight eye movements.

For DFR it’s different for me, the eye movements even moving around almost dead center it’s hard to notice the edges because it keeps the high res area sharp right where you are looking. In the OLD eye tracking module the DFR imho was sometimes too slow and it had some of the same issues as FFR where I would notice the edges.

For me at least the very fast DFR feels like quite the innovation when used as it makes the edges much harder to find. I can play a game and not notice it.

13 Likes