Do you think it will be possible to do hardware mods on the 8k?

Just out of curiosity, does anybody think it will be possible to improve the 8k with hardware mods? For example changing the upscaler if a better version that deliveres better clarity becomes available? Personally I have no idea, but it seems the electronics in the headset are somewhat modular, so perhaps some of the modules could be changed. I noticed that Xunshu said in a reply that upgrading an 8K to 8KX would be ‘difficult’, but she didn’t says it would be impossible, which to me seems to indicate that making some hardware changes to the 8K would be possible. It’s only speculation, but I’m interested in hearing what others think about this.

Honnestly, probably there are some insane nerds that are doing absolutly amazing work on electronics and software engineering.

4 Likes

Everything is possible. I think modding the backlight with a potentiometer to adjust the brightness wouldn’t be super difficult. I know, I’ve watched ElectroBOOM.

3 Likes

what happens to the rest of the system in that case. i remember that the tracking went to shit on an earlier version of hmd because they added some extra back light and the current draw robbed it from the tracking.

1 Like

Good question and yes I remember that. To be honest I have absolutely no idea.
Someone smart enough would figure it out probably, not me.

The first change everyone would be looking into would be the lenses. If you solved any of the sharpness issues for 8k. It would become the undisputed king.

1 Like

[quote=“sikjar, post:1, topic:8830”]
Just out of curiosity, does anybody think it will be possible to improve the 8k with hardware mods? … I noticed that Xunshu said in a reply that upgrading an 8K to 8KX would be ‘difficult’, but she didn’t says it would be impossible…[/quote]
You will need to replace the circuit board in the headset and probably have to mod the headset housing to allow for a second video cable. Personally, I’d really like a do-it-yourself upgrade kit (assuming I get an 8K, instead of the 5K+).

Pimax has said that the LED backlight brightness will be adjustable in PiTool, eventually.

[quote=“light, post:6, topic:8830, full:true”]
The first change everyone would be looking into would be the lenses. If you solved any of the sharpness issues for 8k. It would become the undisputed king.[/quote]
These headsets require unique lenses. I think you’ll have a hard time finding a non-Fresnel lens which is suitable.

2 Likes

Maybe remove the upscaler completely, and add a newer controller that can handle native 4k at 90hz. :smile:
This one outta do. www.analogix.com

That’s exactly what the 8K-X is. Problem is we don’t know if even the 2080 Ti can power it (I think it might, given software optimizations… that might show in a year or three).

Probably not, but foveated rendering is coming :smile:

1 Like

to estimate you could have a look how much tinkering was done on the vive and rift, compared to the units sold

we already know a lens mod is kind of risk free as there is a glas behind the lenses sealing the unit so dust is no problem

but doing a mod on the circuitry is high risk, needs extremly good skills and getting a anx7539 will be challenging too, and even if you manage this all, without the software and firmware source its nearly pointless
but lets say you even come around this, the gain with the “mediocre” 8k display and missing gpu power …

dont hold your breath, i dont see this coming until its more then 1 year in the consumer market and people have cooler stuff so the pimax is kind of spare
so not before 2020 (lens mode much earlier for sure - when someone finds out where the lens profiles are stored and how to change them)

Can add some Hertz to make it 90hz. Hertz are easy to fit and quite cheap to buy they’re always on special offer.

1 Like

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah… maybe they could put in some hertz in the back to counterbalance the HMD…

Maybe when DP or HDMI gets the capacity to run decent bandwidth, an upgrade single cable with controller board for 8K-X capabilities might be on offer. Only though if officially offered by Pimax as it would be a PIA to have to deal with firmware and software to hack it all into place as an individual.

I just want them to push the hz higher on the 5k+

That’s probably a few years away. By then, there will probably be better panels, maybe even OLED, so at that point, it might make sense to just buy a new headset.

1 Like

Yes that and maybe pour in some extra pixels to fill the gaps

1 Like

I think this IS the controller that Pimax uses.

The problem is, you need 4k at 180hz, because you have 2 4k screens, not just one.