Do you have a liaison with Valve?

I can understand the need for PiTool. Numerous features would likely have to be dropped, since SteamVR settings doesn’t include them (and Valve probably wouldn’t add them).

You do not need to run PiTool, once your HMD has been configured. It’s just a frontend for Pimax’s driver.

1 Like

Who says Valve wouldn’t add them? SteamVR can be programmed to show options depending on which headsets are connected.

Would you hurry to implement new features for a competitor, especially if your HMD doesn’t support them? I think most companies would not.

Never tried this, but theoretically it should work. just use a mini DP → to DisplayPort converter.

Yes, I have got confirmation they are looking into adding this option, having IPD offset slider for each eye.

I agree. PiTool is important as it allows us to customize a lot on out Pimax headsets, which would never be possible within SteamVR. In case you havent noticed, SteamVR is being scaled down (dumbed down) for every update lately. Options dissapear, everything starts to be plug and play-ready with minimal customization. Some options are only possible to change by editing steamvr.vrsettings file.

Also, some settings in the SteamVR config file are no longer even being used/affected (as the compositor/overlay render target resolution) and everything is now starting to feel “automated” based on your GPU speed/model. Thats not what VR enthusiast wants or needs. I fully understand why automation is needed for new VR users, but for serious VR enthusiasts, its painful.

This is why we need PiTool. To give us options. And freedom to add new features that Valve refuses to add into SteamVR.

Just look at Valve Index. To disable Parallell Projection, you need to edit the config file. Which they dont even want you to know about. Its all hidden, just to ensure newbies dont mess up something…

6 Likes

that’s fantastic news Martin, happy to hear :slightly_smiling_face: The vertical offset with 0.5 difference helpt me a lot with 3d depht, i think this also will be a major improvement for me and others. I didn’t know about the assymetry for myself untill an optician measured it, so i think it will help people also with eyestrain who are not aware of their assymetry and going to play with it

2 Likes

They weren’t a competitor when Pimax started developing the 5k/8k. In fact, they were very open and accommodating to 3’rd parties designing their own headsets.