Distortion Correction using vertex displacement

Yeah mrtv earned a lot of credit for me doing this. Didn’t lie about the nose thing. And even though he’s been helping pimax, he still gave credit to other good products where it’s due. Honesty is the best policy folks!

3 Likes

I’m sure I heard sweviver say the price would be between $2000 and $10,000.

1 Like

That’s because Road to VR said so. I have no idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

ask @mixedrealityTV to do a livestream :joy:

Well it just shows you the bargain we are getting with the pimax. It will be interesting to see pimax price point when they release the consumer version.

5 Likes

Is that StarVR or M2?

1 Like

That is the Star VR HMD

2 Likes

Yeah, those are specialized optics there lol.

1 Like

the interesting factor here might be acer, they kind of own the show now? i guess what we see now is still the plan set in motion before they came in
same goes for the new acer win mr headset, compared to the starvr one this unit is kind of a joke (showing off the win mr unit after th starvr one …?)

starvr one is ahead of the marked for about 1 year and for now pimax seems not to play in the same league as starvr (we will know more after the berlin meeting)

under this assumption i have not much hope to see the starvr one below 3000 bugs and that’s way to much for most vr gamers, they might offer a “budget” version next year with cheaper lcd displays, maybe without eye tracking and with insight out tracking (much more customer friendly, only problem is the controller tracking, that would need 2 additional “rear” cam’s - as much as i like lighthouse, its not going to last as AR needs insight out tracking and will push it forward until its cheaper and superior), so more like a win mr headset with starvr like fov

Inside-out tracking has a very long road ahead of it.

Until we can go outside or even out the same room then inside-out tracking is a half-way solution.

After several years nobody has solved these issues I do not think.

• Have to map every new room you plan to use it in.
  • Can not move out of that room once you have set it up.
  • Can not go outside with it as sun light screws with the tracking and visuals.
  • Can not map dark areas well

The ML1 inside-out tracking, in addition to the above goes wonky near metallic objects.

1 Like

i was thinking of 2-3 years for inside out replacing lighthouse and that’s optimistic
to make vr a mass product you won’t need it to be working in the open and on the fly, its not AR, having it set up in a room without mounting anything to your walls will suit most customers, if you can skip even this and map it on the fly while playing and detecting bigger things like humans (or even a dog/cat) on the fly will be enough for vr mass market (normal consumers)
vr/game enthusiasts will always want more and extreme but that’s not mass market, you get a good estimate if you look at the numbers for rift/vive, thats the enthusiasts and that are no numbers big company’s making profit with

and to add a much more realistic view, mass market will need wireless vr, normal people will not “run around” with a 5m tether (and being blind while wearing a headset)

lots of people would be fine with a improved win mr style solution that can track better, can track the controllers reliable and being “wireless” (that can be a all in one headset like santa cruz or just a tether cutting solution like tpcast)
i guess oculus will show this with there next headset, so we won’t have to wait long to see the next iteration of insight out tracking

mass market for vr does not start before 2020, for normal people it has to be wireless (one or the other way) and AR might even be longer as there is a much higher demand on technology that is still missing (wider FOV and flawless tracking for things like occlusion by moving “objects”, that later is optional for VR but AR can’t work without it)

2 Likes