Distortion Correction using vertex displacement

Reading this blog post, it looks as though doing distortion correction the way they do on mobile HMDs like Gear VR could help mitigate some distirtion by brute forcing it away.

2 Likes

the way i understand it, this only project the image at one angle then reduce the pixel in the corner so that shaders and AA benefit.

in the case of high FOV VR we will still need to project at few angle per eye, and that is where Nvidia reprojection pipeline enter the game because they can accelerate projection from different angles in the metal itself.

1 Like

The problem is that having two viewports per eye is going to need integration by the developers themselves on a case by case basis.

1 Like

yes but so does vertex displacement. you also need developers to integrate it, you can’t do that at the driver level.

1 Like

Yeah, it sucks. I was just thinking that using this method would cut some of the overhead of a high fov HMD.

2 Likes

Damn those developers! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Would be awesome if more of that tech would be supported

2 Likes

On mobile HMD, I always using sitesinvr.com profile, they have application to tune the profile by ourself. They have lab to checking each value too.

2 Likes

LENSES

5 Likes

Look like my avatar :joy:

Time to start selling things. Starvr def seems more along the lines of HTC Vive quality. I hope they don’t charge more than a magic leap.

6 Likes

I like how MRTV kept trolling the guy on price. He said it will be available to consumers and their gearing up for mass production. Hopefully it wont be too expensive

5 Likes

Opensource benefit if folks would stop needing to close source things for the bragging rights. :laughing:

I think there letting folks speculate on price to get a feel of how much they can get. The bad though with all the hype of how good it is. They may go for Xtal like price point. :flushed:

3 Likes

Yeah, especially if it’s just the interface stuff or still metal behind the software - would be great to have that all open and supported by who ever wants - I have no idea how good that is coming along in Vulcan with Vulcan but I guess the vendor specifics will stay just that … I can understand it but it’s sad to see it used so little

Theoretically they could even go over that, since it seems to be better than the XTAL… That would suck big time

4 Likes

Indeed & the benefit of course is if only commercial & enterprise buy them – no teardown reveiws are likely.

It’s not overly huge… 450 grams. I wonder if there’s really that much cost in it? Apart from development

2 Likes

I guess developing both the panels and the lenses is expensive. But most of those cost will be ‘sunk costs’, so costs that already have been made. The variable costs, the costs of the materials, won’t be that high I guess. So if they want to sell it at $1000, I think they can, IF enough people would buy it. That’s of course the calculations they’re doing right now.
1000.000 gaming clients (?) paying $1000 vs 100.000 business clients (?) paying $5000 …

2 Likes

Well the rep was open to consumer sales. Surely they would have factored the huge amount of “prosumer” sales into their first production run. People are spending upto $2000 on race wheels. There’s no reason they wont fork out for this

1 Like

and iphone’s and Note 9’s for $1300, so $2000 for a HMD doesn’t seem so far stretched indeed, I think that price would still be doable for quite a few high-end gamers, whose hardware costs way much than that already anyway.

Let’s hope StarVR thinks the same :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah well with Canada we have the option to get crazy price phones like the iphoneX & other flagships for signing a 2 year deal with maybe paying 100 to 300. Monthly plan retires x amount a month with no direct cost.

1 Like