Display Week 2018: Google and LG present their 4.3" 3840x4800 AMOLED screen

An 18 megapixel 4.3″ 1443 ppi 120 Hz OLED display for wide field of view high acuity head mounted displays

We have designed and fabricated a very high pixel count (>18MP), ultra‐high ppi (1443 ppi) OLED display for VR applications. This is currently the world’s highest resolution OLED on glass display. White OLED material and color filters were used to meet the high ppi requirements, and an n‐type LTPS backplane was used to meet the panel driving and image ghosting requirements. Foveation logic was implemented in an FPGA to convert the low bandwidth foveated image rendered on a mobile processor to the high bandwidth stream required by the display. The result is a stunning visual experience in a mobile VR system.

Photograph of 4.3″ OLED panel.

A pair of displays.

4.3″ High resolution OLED‐on‐glass specifications.
Size (diagonal): 4.3″
Subpixel count: 3840 × 2 (either RG or BG) × 4800
Pixel pitch: 17.6 µm (1443 ppi)
Brightness: 150 cd/m2 @ 20% duty
Contrast: >15,000:1
Color depth: 10 bits
Viewing angle: 30°(H), 15° (V)
Refresh rate: 120 Hz

Photograph of 4.3″ OLED fabricated panel through VR optics.

Foveated rendering.

All the data.

Article in Spanish.

Update:

Article from Road To VR.

Article from UploadVR.

5 Likes

I’ve skimmed through their article, will read it in depth later on, but I couldn’t find quickly if they’re using those panels per eye or not?

EDIT Ah they did “As shown in Fig. 3, the panels should be provided as a pair

1 Like

We chose a FoV of 120° × 96° per eye and central acuity of 40 ppd, for a pixel count of 4800 × 3840. This pixel count is half WHUXGA, so a full system with two displays matches the WHUXGA pixel count.

As shown in Fig. 3, the panels should be provided as a pair

2 Likes

So the HMD is double the Pimax 8k resolution: REAL 8k. Nice. Now let’s hope for some good news during the presentation, I’m getting the idea this is merely a ‘proof of concept’ than a product that they’re going to market …

3 Likes

It is good to know the technology that is coming, I hope that it really gets the desire resolutions (4K at last) and compatibility plataform (win 10). I am happy that I did not support 8KX if this Google HMD is coming.

2 Likes

Today a major problem is resources who is capable to run that much PPD. For that, we have to wait few years.

If this is posible, maybe not.

They implemented foveated rendering as you can read in their paper

1 Like

Interesting to read how Google didn’t use any specific bridge chip (since there aren’t any for this high res) but programmed a FPGA that does the bridging. I wonder if this is a solution for Pimax? @deletedpimaxrep1

1 Like

Couldn’t Pimax do the same? An use FPGAs too.

They could. I don’t know how well Google’s algo works, I guess they’ll tell more about it during their upcoming conference, which starts in 30 minutes.

2 Likes

Is there a livestream for the keynote ?

I don’t think so. The presentation ends in 30 minutes, hopefully we’ll get to hear something

We can easily anticipate a high resolution standalone vr headset to be released by Google partners such as LG.

Update:

Article from Road To VR.

Article from UploadVR.

Image from Upload VR
https://cdn.uploadvr.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Google-Displays-PNG.png
Left: Google and LG’s new 1,443 PPI display. Right: A ‘conventional 538 PPI display.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/DigitalBlocksIP/status/998999338113105925/photo/1

1 Like

Too bad that it seems we’ve gotten no single indication of a release date …