DCS teams up with Varjo VR headset company

Seems DCS teams up with Varjo?
Would be nice if we also profit from it.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/bitrix/tools/track_mail_click.php?tag=sender.eyJSRUNJUElFTlRfSUQiOiIyNzgzMzM4MiJ9&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalcombatsimulator.com%2Fen%2Fnewsletters%2Fnewsletter29052020-esirxzqar65mwtq1axs1fw3cqse37926.html%3Fbx_sender_conversion_id%3D27833382%26utm_source%3Dnewsletter%26utm_medium%3Dmail%26utm_campaign%3Dweekend_news&sign=f1813f1d928b5ffae0e2add42187ceb80362003b227753d9ddd6924f76e0b19d

We should get them to get the 8KX also…

5 Likes

Nice. The cheapest Varjo is 5k

2 Likes

Yeah the typical Gamers HMD :wink:.
I just hope that brings the engine back into modern days and some VR Improvements that we all benefit from…

4 Likes

EDIT - NEVER MIND - its still the “old” hands - just working now for me with index controllers

Cool working hand tracking for flipping the switches?? Is it new or did I really miss that…

1 Like

Pretty sure You missed that as it rings a bell (softly)… :nerd_face:

1 Like

Holy Sh t - yes i did , I saw them but the never seemd to work for me - now with the index controllers they worked, I guess i just messed it up with the WMR Controllers and never bothered after that.
To bad the still are not touching the instruments…

1 Like

Considerably more than that. They were quoting $8,900 USD in their booth.

2 Likes

They have 3 units. the Cheapest is $4,999 and their most expensive is $9,999 if I recall. There is a middle price range model as well called the “pro”

1 Like

Woah! Eagle Dynamics announcing support around a specific VR headset!

This worries me that their professional customers may not get enough exposure to the Pimax Vision 8kX, as well as that it may not get the same kind of support.

@PimaxUSA

EDIT: By the way, this DCS changelog entry is a gem, improving the ability to launch DCS from PiTool.

Replaced StarForce with keyless protection for A-10C, KA-50 and FC3 modules.

3 Likes

And vice versa.

1 Like

Sorry, I am confused. What, are you worried the Varjo may not get adequate support?

1 Like

Just saying there is (was) several game devs asking Pimax to help them to implement Pimax headset to their games.

5 Likes

Indeed. We really need Pimax to start shipping the 8kX. But I am particularly concerned about Eagle Dynamics / DCS World, due to their intense adding of new features, already thin performance margins, and this being perhaps the most crucial use case for the 8kX specifically.

2 Likes

It’s happening soon for sure. I feel you’re the guy who can promote the Vision and the Pimax environment to the game devs.
That is, if the Pimax software devs can keep it up.
As we know, the SDK’s are outdated and not properly documented.

5 Likes

Varjo drives me insane from a certain standpoint. Its a neat concept, don’t get me wrong, but their pricing and patent claims are nuts. I mean nothing but respect for what they have achieved, but…dang.

Their earliest prototype was basically a VIVE with Sony’s HMZ-T1 micro OLED panels rigged for the “foveated display” pushed together. Two HMD’s from other companies plus an optical combiner, and BAM you have a Varjo foveated headset.

It wouldn’t suck so much if they had not patented the approach they used. That 1st prototype would have cost about $2500 to build (the Vive, HMZ TI and an optical combiner, not counting software and rendering approaches which are unique.)

A Pimax HMD with a “foveated” portion of the screen would be the bees knees!

1 Like

I really wish I had been able to find the Varjo at CES. But if they are claiming 60px/deg for the foveated region, IIRC, that is about three times the angular resolution of the 8kX. And before then, we are at 20/10 vision.

Pimax Vision 16kX anyone?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.