DCS (Steam), Pimax and Performance/Visual Gains 2022 (Tips, Tricks, and other stuff like OPEN XR )

It is not expected, do to the API’s for DCS to get a boost from OpenXR, but
Has anyone experimented with OpenXR and DCS?
Since we are still waiting on vulcan for DCS, I am in search for options to boost performance and visual quality as of 2022 and gather them here.

Edit: as remarked, it is not expected to bring gains by OpenXR, but that’s why I was wondering if Anybody did experiment with it and had field data to it :wink:.

(Still including DLSS support in my prayers - for Vulcan that is)

2 Likes

Here is a link of settings suggested and used by @PimaxUSA

https://community.openmr.ai/t/dcs-digital-combat-sim-guide/38342/2?u=heliosurge

Otherwise @mirage335 is an avid DCS player and may have settings he can recommend as well.

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re going to get any gain from using OpenComposite-ACC to use OpenXR with DCS, because Pimax does not support OpenXR directly, and it passes through SteamVR anyway.

Here’s a quick diagram I made and that should convince you why (see last row):

6 Likes

Yeah no need to use Opencomposite if DCS supports Occulus mode. Just use Pimax’s Oculus support that works without steam.

2 Likes

This brings maybe points for wmr HMDs and his bad SteamVR translation, but not for the pimax.
Look, crappy wmr 40FPS without Repro, pimax, same scene 78 FPS with much higher resolution.

2 Likes

Thanks @Heliosurge, I did use his settings at the beginning, but also deviated back to my original settings. But maybe there is new stuff from @mirage335.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking that time and making that very clear! @mbucchia
Sorry for generating you a work load!

1 Like

Formula hasn’t changed much, Render Quality 1.25 and vertical resolution somewhat approximately 2484v to 2700v . I do expect to upgrade to combining an i9-12900K with RTX 3090 Ti though (all heavily overclocked). If I really tweak it, I may be able to get something reasonable at mostly 60Hz while disabling Smart Smoothing. If I get below ambient cooling working, then definitely.

3 Likes

Thanks @mirage335,
I got an 5950x and a 3090Oced and dreams of 90hz :wink:, I hope we get a DCS engine update some time in my life span, so that the horses power can be used up, that is provided and it makes better use of modern technology in the GPU market, it’s ofcourse not to be expected, but seeing how good dcs can look an 4k+ flat makes one hope we get some more in VR.
Especially for rendering at the upcoming 12k

2 Likes

Much sooner than DCS will be improved, the simulated aircraft for DCS will be rewritten as modules for major game engines like Unity. Things like full virtualization and hourly cloud VPS for avionics will make such things even more modular.

1 Like

I thought DCS used openVR? Or at least steamVR. Is there a way to make it do oculus mode? In any case DCS is a good example of how good things can be when all the parts work. It supports canted displays, FFR works via VRPerfKit, and FSR helps this title. If it had DLSS it’d be unstoppable. Looks like FS2020 may beat them to that as DCS has never mentioned support for DLSS (could they? I think their rending pipeline prohibits it)

2 Likes

I switched to ED version, added it as a foregin game in Steam; If I start it in Steam, it will start Oculus.
So my question is opposite from yours, how to start it in Openvr only? :slight_smile:

PS: If I start it from Pitool (Steam fully closed), I can play without Steam and Oculus, but it is not smooth.

3 Likes

I am not familiar with DCS. But a lot of games have commandline switch options.

Here are some links that may have useful info.

This DCS forum post suggests it can run in Oculus mode. @Honeybadger2000 is also on this forum

1 Like

Very cool. Ill pit SteamVR vs Oculus later tonight!

2 Likes

Afaik, they are moving to vulcan and vulcan has DLSS Support, sorry only have this half fitting link as prove :Vulkan Now Supports NVIDIA DLSS in Proton on Linux - The Khronos Group Inc

1 Like

Not so sure about that both in terms of “soon” - since you need a “base” for that to work and get devs to do that. So if there was a simulator base made on unity (or something) which has high API interoperability to DCS, maybe, but you also need the player base and stuff around the module to make it worthwhile, only could imagine that if a competitor does something new and wants to have the modules in his sim fast, he could invest in compatibility on that.
An Alternative could be, since normally it should be modularized to some degree, that DCS does something like Kunos did with ACC – use the simulator base und build upon that and bring it to a new Graphics engine – which is also a heck of a lot of work.
More likely I believe that ED will do what it said, update their graphics parts to Vulcan, and if we are lucky bring in the good stuff on that way.

Edit: maybe we can see ED’s engine soon in the pic :wink:

1 Like

I think we can have just a standalone FA18C/etc vehicle, and similar, as a standalone program, which itself takes HOTAS inputs directly and VR controller inputs from the game engine, whatever is available, and sends coordinates and 3D model to the game engine for rendering. That should be able to happen soon enough. And it gets even easier to completely reimplement that way if needed, because then you can start to have things like real Linux Virtual machines for the avionics, instead of LUA, Discord libraries as a backend for the radios, etc.

Then anyone who wants to make a game that includes an FA18C/etc can just drop one in, and it just works. Think, like Crysis, but if you know how to fly it, you can get some parked jets on the runway, and you get an alternate path, minigame, etc, to play things a little different.

Software is headed for modularity.

2 Likes

Indeed the Frets on Fire Guitar Hero clone on Linux can use Guitar Hero song packs. Sure very simple game.

But definitely the right idea use say dcs content dlc vehicles plugged into an open sim engine. And even make it able to utilize other game engine addons ie flightgear which has had sime vr update progress.

If I am understanding right.

1 Like

Flight models should be part of the vehicle standalone program, separate from the sim/game engine. Vehicle program talks to the engine, but is completely separate. FlightGear and even ArduPilot could be part of the vehicle standalone program, but all the game engine sees is an InterProcess Communication connection. All the game engine does is receive messages over InterProcess Communication what 3D models to use, where to download them, and how the coordinates have changed.

If those coordinate changes are ‘important’ then some anti-cheat is done, possibly including the sort of ‘trusted computing’ PunkBuster does, validating only approved flight models are used, etc, but more usefully, by statistical plausibility and very heavy reputation losses for cheating players.

2 Likes

Surly possible, but as always a Middleware introduces more complexity, need for common ground and has computational costs, simply put that’s why game devs still use c++ instead of e. G. Python or Java - all have there benefits and costs and surely one can over come the other. None the less it is not going to to speed up my Digital Compat Flight Simulation experience any time soon :wink:, rather believe we will see Vulcan speed ups before that.

2 Likes