Crystal 42ppd/large FoV lenses

Optimal behavior in this case would imho be:
a) In case the 42 ppd lenses don’t technically work out as hoped or demand is expected too low to make mass production of the 42 ppd lenses viable. Provide a sidegrade to the large FoV lenses or a coupon based on the initial value of 42 ppd glass lenses.
b) If the 42 ppd lense is a substantial step up from the 35 ppd one in clarity and the glass one is much better than the plastic one, provide the glass variant as initially told. And why not offer that as a third alternative to the 35 ppd and the wide FoV lense as accessory to buy in the future - can imagine many applications where clarity is the most important aspect. Particularly later on with the passthrough extension - being able to blend in additional monitors etc. would be interesting!
c) If the plastic one already has optimal optical properties and thus just provides advantages over the glass one - educate people about it, so we can make an informed decision.

I think offering plastic lenses with known bad optical properties just to fulfill a commitment in the cheapest possible way (and to keep the value of refunds to pay as alternative low) wouldn’t help anybody, in the midterm not even Pimax, when reputation is destined to become one of the most valuable assets a company can have in the competitive VR market.

3 Likes

This is what Pimax advertise.

1 Like

SO here’s what should happen.

PIMAX should allow the customer to choose between either the 42PPD or the NEW Higher FoV lenses at no extra cost.

DONE

2 Likes

While I suspect the wider lenses would be the preferred choice putting a deadline of a few days from now to make a choice to spend more money on something yet to be seen is just so unprofessional. :poop:

3 Likes

Let’s stopped calling it large FOV lenses. It’s not that large, it’s just 120 degrees FOV (which is far from 150 degree) that 8KX provide in normal.

1 Like

If you take the 103FOV in the box lenses, add 6% to the wide FOV lenses they’re still under 110FOV horizontal.

2 Likes

It is said to be 10 to 15% wider.

1 Like

In the AMA Q&A they said a target of 15%. We know Pimax overestimate these things. Lol

3 Likes

And according to Seb’s visit at that time was said to have achieved about 10% so your 6% is very low.

Pimax has even been generous when they did there why not pancake saying only 15% light efficiency with other Articles detailing pancake as 10% or less BSB apparently only 7% :wink:

As sorry as I am for @NoamLoop’s experience, to me personally this little episode is another reason to not ever again order (or even worse pre-order) a product directly from Pimax.

They advertised two sets of interchangable glass lenses (in fact they are still currently advertising this) to their most faithful pre-order customers, and yet again the ‘I_can’t_deliver_so_here’s_a_coupon’ game is their solution.

Wait until amazon offers the product directly. Order it from amazon and if you are not satisified, return for a full refund. Done.

2 Likes

At least the 5K+ coupon was $100 so you could replace their crappy cable when it failed. :grinning:

2 Likes

At least it’s not $100 off the 12k.

2 Likes

With 15% increase in the Crystal lenses…that’ll give it a 117.3 degree which is equal to the small FOV of Pimax 8KX. To get to Pimax 8KX normal FOV, it needs to be 130 degree and for wide FOV, it needs to be 140 degree.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.