Communication Improved - the good stuff happening

I agree with him saying a product should work as advertised, but yeah you’re right: all he says sounds kinda familiar. :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Agreed it should. But like games sometimes newer GPUs don’t work until needed in game & gpu patches are issued. I had that with a variety of games like Watchdogs on my r9 390(which was sad considering the game consoles based on Amd ran fine).

3 Likes

True also.

2 Likes

Maybe also a „development news“ or „development insides/updates“ part on the web page would be nice?
More users are likely to visit there. If you have a CMS based page the overhead should not be to much - could be blog style - short and then just link to the forum for more info and discussions.

7 Likes

Hi MReis,

That’s an great idea worthy our consideration. I still need to discuss with our team to see if feasible.
Thank you~

B.R.
Konger

7 Likes

Have to look into it. But I believe there is a plugin for that can Pull & post things like that. :beers::wink::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

3 Likes

I haven’t tried to find out but if it is a cms like jomla and or the like, It should not be to hard.

1 Like

Your post is a troll.

I have never had another account. I did not even wish to create an account here because I do not trust the security/privacy of this site.
But this was the proverbial straw and I took steps to protect my privacy when I created this account.
That said I also used my main email which is the same email Pimax know me by. But it would not be the first time this email has been leaked or spammed so I am not too worried about that.

As you can see in the image I own the products I mentioned which are not compatible and I can’t use my headset.

I’m also worried Pimax will not deliver the Pitool even on the 13th as they are not good at meeting deadlines and terrible at keeping their word.

I get that there are always fanbois of tech who will fight to protect their brands of choice for some unknown reason. But just look at the complaints on these forums. They are legitimate complaints and there are too many of them and the complaints go much further than communication.

So in my opinion I think addressing things like false claims on the website (which is a communication issue anyway) and starting work on fixing a broken product sooner than 4 months after you know there is an issue are more important issues to address. And as I said, critical fixes should never be released with other scheduled updates. Critical fixes should always be released immediately. The engineer said it works, it does not need 2 weeks testing, it only needs to test the current features work which could be tested in hours. That way if the other updates were to cause unforeseen issues the whole thing is not further delayed and at least Navi users have a working headset.

What I don’t think I mentioned is how when I contacted them previously by email they replied to me as if I was the first person who has mentioned this problem despite numerous posts about it here and despite others saying they had contacted Pimax about this.

Also although people here (other than Pimax) don’t know who I am and I don’t know who you are, even in my short time here I have been able to identify some users by discussions and think I know who they are in real life and I’m sure based on my comments some people here will also be able to work out my real name which I do not give permission to share. Because I do use my real name online in various places as do others here and we have had discussions and know who each other are in real life.

I don’t know the details of the person who has been banned that you guys referred to but the quote is accurate so it doesn’t surprise me I am not the first person to say it. It does worry me Pimax might ban people when they don’t like an criticism expressed but I don’t know the circumstances of that so perhaps there were other factors. But I also don’t like that it is ok to suggest someone is a troll because they wrote of things this company is doing wrong.

Perhaps I should also mention as a warning I don’t expect to not being upset after Pitool works as I have tested this headset on another PC with an Nvidia GPU briefly just to make sure it works. This is my third VR headset, I have not had any issues with other VR headsets and both my others owned have fixed IPD. But when I tested the Pimax I had serious eye strain issues. They were so serious it effected my vision still after I took off the headset. I did try to change the IPD and did briefly try adjusting settings in Pitool to see if I could improve the experience. I have had my IPD measured by an optometrist. This setting did not work in the Pimax, I was not able to fix it by experimenting. I’m hoping that I can work out how to fix the eye strain issue but this is something I am also upset about, that such an expensive headset is manufactured so poorly and not correctly calibrated before sale and needs the user to tinker with it in an effort to solve the issue on their own. This headset is almost 4 times the price of one of my other headsets. That headset also is manufactured slightly outside of specification but it is factory calibrated to account for this manufacturing error so the user experience is optimal. And that headset even had a better strap.

I’m just mentioning it now so that if I write posts about my eye strain after the next pitool is released I am not seen as a person who is just here to cause trouble. I just want to be able to use the headset I purchased.

I will try the suggestions others have mentioned but after a quick look I have struggled to understand them. So perhaps expect at least a post for clarification or better explanation if I can’t work them out.

1 Like

What do you think about the lenses used in the Pimax headsets?

4 Likes

Me? As I said I only tested for a short time and suffered extreme eye strain. I’m not sure I can answer your question accurately at this time. Short answer is I think the lenses themselves are fin but the housing and the way they are mounted might be an issue for me.

It’s been a while since I tested it and as I said I have not been able to use it since, these are not fresh impressions, so really take this with a strong pinch of salt. But because it has been so long I can’t really comment directly on the lenses other than to mention the edge distortion and housing and visual quality.

I was surprised by the lack of screen door effect. It was so much less than any video or photo gave me the impression of, that I would describe SDE as a non issue on this headset.

This is all IIRC, it has been so long I’m not even sure if I am imagining this now. But IIRC the visual quality was surprisingly good. Colours are not the best I have experienced but very nice for this panel tech, surprisingly good. In the optimal eye box it has great visual clarity and seems to have a higher pixel density than I was expecting. Better than I expected based on the resolution. And the sharpness in the optimal eye box is very good. Here lies the problem, I was suffering massive eye strain and that eye strain was effecting the quality of my vision. I think I remember it has a great sized eye box and I think I could tell the visual quality within that area was very high. But my vision was going blurry because of the eye strain. I have a natural issue with my eyes where if they are strained I lose the ability to focus and I get double vision. Eye strain effectively causes blindness in me an the only fix is to sleep so my eyes can recover. Interesting other VR headsets actually relax my vision more than it is when I am indoors, the result is other VR headsets improve my vision.

But I easily noticed the edge distortion and this was even a serious issue for me on normal FOV at 90 hz. As a side not I also tested 120hz and I did not like the cropping in even the largest FOV after initially trying it on the largest FOV settings.

In this outside area no only is there edge distortion but the visual quality is low. I knew to expect this as I had read comments about it online before I got the headset.

Despite the lower visual quality and the edge distortion The high FOV of the Pimax is a revelation. I never want a VR headset with less FOV than the normal setting on Pimax @ 90Hz. I did not like the edge clipping even in normal and I could still see the edge distortion (I’m pretty sure I remember being able to just see the edge distortion even in the small FOV mode). But even for racing I did not think the normal FOV was inferior or lacking compared to the largest setting. And on the largest setting I also did not like the shape of I think it was the lens, how it goes narrow and round. So at this point I have no idea if I’d use normal or large FOV. But even normal is incredible and after trying I just never wanted to go back to a headset with an FOV smaller than that. Even with the distortion.

This last statement is why I really want to see if I can sort this headset out, because the experience of FOV has spoiled me. But I am afraid the headset will be unusable if it causes eye strain and I can’t fix the eye strain issue. I am very worried about damage to my vision.

For me and my face the lens housing is a horrible design. I think this might be the significant factor in the comfort and eye strain. I don’t know if this will help people simulate what wearing a Pimax has been like for me. I suspect this will only work on people with eye sight that effectively has each eye offering a different magnification, but if you are not sure if you have an eye sight issue this could indicate you might need your eyes checked. And for the reason I will mention in a moment this is why I suspect I might need additional custom lenses in the Pimax to fix my issues however I don’t need glasses or custom lenses in other headsets.

This experiment will work better if you can wear black gloves while trying this. What I want you to try is put your hands together as if you are praying and place your hands in front of your nose. At first you should be able to mostly tune out your hands and still see through both eyes as one image. Now spread your hands apart until they appear as a solid object in the middle of your vision. At this point it is likely your dominant eye will take over but try to focus on looking through both eyes at the same time. This is similar to what wearing a Pimax does to my vision. Now try and focus on seeing with both eyes at the same time and comparing them. If both images look the same to you congrats on winning the genetic lottery in regards to your eyes. If each eye sees a different image then get your eyes checked if you don’t already wear glasses. FWIW I only need glasses for reading and my prescription is weak but different in each eye. When I stare at a page using the method above I see text larger with the left eye but more importantly it causes similar pain and eye strain and similar image distortion to what I experience in the Pimax.

1 Like

That is most unfortunate.

I seem to have won the Pimax lottery. I only get eye pain if the IPD is wildly off. As it turns out, I’ve used my 8K with the wrong IPD for most of this year and didn’t actually have any eye pain while in VR for up to 5 hours (no breaks).

I used my self-measured IPD of 63 mm, initially, then dropped it to 62.8. A few weeks ago, someone mentioned that lowering the IPD can increase the 3D effect. I always thought that the distant stars were too close in Elite D, so I tried lowering my hardware IPD. Not only did it move the stars further away, it brought my hands closer. I had always felt that the scale was a bit off in ED; my arms were too skinny and long and the my hands seemed too distant. Lowering the IPD fixed the scale problem.

With the new setting, I experienced some initial eye strain, but it was mild and worth it, imo, to fix the scale. I slowly decreased the IPD each day and I’m now at 60 mm. I just played for 2 hours without any noticeable strain.

You might want to try tweaking the IPD of your headset, to see if it helps, but given your experience with “staring at a page”, I have doubts that it would help. FWIW, Pimax has tweaked the distortion profile over time, so it has improved. Personally, I only noticed distortion with Large FOV, so I play using Normal FOV.

7 Likes