Comfort Kit Availability

How is the thickness of the leather face cushion in comparison to the standard one? Is it thinner?

P.S. The standard one was too thick for me, so I’m counting on the thinner one delivered alongside the 8KX.

The extra $15 is VAT. So we have to charge for it. Not a profit for us.

2 Likes

I’ll do a side by side comparison tomorrow, just to show the thickness, like tomohm said, it does make your face feel cooler, but definitely a preference, but from me using the cushion that came with these and then using the leather, it’s well worth it. Also I don’t feel the frame to much when I make the headset tight with using the deluxe audio strap.

1 Like

Ive been using the thick Vive Pro Foam pads. Its been the best for me.
I also ordered the leather replacement for the comfort kit. I decided ill give it a try but if its like the material vr cover uses, im fairly certain i wont like it… Then again the original foam that pimax sent with my 5k+ was atrocious and made my skin itch.

I received the leather cushion from VRmust… yes, it’s like the material like VR cover uses (i have that also) but I like it myself. The difference seems to be in the fact that VRmust’s cover wraps all-the-way around the Pimax HMD including the nose area which is a big deal for me since I have a low IPD and my Pimax units ALWAYS pinched the ridge of my nose. This really helped me in the comfort department. Now I just need the VR Comfort Kit from ImmersiveDisplay and I’ll be happy.

1 Like

I got the VRCover pads for my Vive, two of them, and they both came apart after not much wear. The seams aren’t very strong and removing the pad from the HMD a few times probably put too much stress on them.

Does the VRmust pad have glued seams like the VRCover one or do they look stronger? Also, is the VRmust $27 for just one pad or do they ship two like VRCover?

I’ve had my VRcover for I believe at least two years and they have held up well for me. They are still in very good shape. Yes, VRmust are sealed just like VRcover and it only comes with one pad not two. I think VRmust is expensive but I’ve had serious issues with my Pimax units hurting my nose and the VRmust pad has helped me with that issue.

3 Likes

I’ve recieved mine yesterday and put it on my5k+. I used the original cover + an additional VR-cover I had for my Vive because the original Cover was too thin for me. I needed to double up to get rid of distortions.

The comfort kit is absolutely perfect - for my face at least. It completely transforms the headset. It is so comfortable now. It is a shame that they blew it and sell this as an option. this should’ve been how the 5K+ shipped. I think they would’ve avoided a lot of negative press with this.

Considering that many who got a 8K+ are torn between thge 5K+ and 8K+ I’d say every 5K+ owbner should consider to just keep using it and get the comfort kit. I sure am happy I did.

2 Likes

FYI… my comfort kit arrived today. The delivery tracking # never gave me an ETA so I was pleasantly surprised to see it my mailbox today… so in total it was about 2 weeks for delivery to the US (NY). Haven’t put it on my Pimax yet but damn, it felt comfortable against my face so I can’t wait to try.

2 Likes

Im still waiting but its definitely shipped. Let me know how the process is. I saw someone else that had an issue taking off the original one.

It can be a bit tough to pop the old one off, but it will come out. Just be careful where you apply the pulling pressure.

1 Like

Got it installed… and loving it so far!!! So worth it. I somewhat followed the instructions from this link … https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-comfort-kit-installation-and-review-francais-with-english-subtitles/25801 - with English sub-titled… however, in his instruction steps he has you put the face-pad into the Pimax unit before putting the cable back in… I reversed that step… I put the cable back in the Pimax unit before I installed the comfort kit and I think that was the correct thing to do. Watch the video first before you follow along and you’ll see where he puts the comfort kit in then pulls some of it out again to add the cable… don’t do that. Just put the cable in then the comfort kit.

It wasn’t really that difficult but nerve wracking. The cable came out easy enough but the face plate was a little difficult and because the plastic housing is so thin you’re scared to break (crack) the unit. But I took my time and did a little at a time and used a little more force than I wished I had too here and there but it ultimately came out and no damage!!! I put this comfort kit on my 8KBE unit… I will certainly get one for my 5K+… but I’ll wait to use my $100 pimax coupon for that one. Hopefully it won’t take years for it to become in-stock again…

1 Like

Ye i saw his video. I think i took mine out before, but cant remember. We’ll see how mine goes when it comes. My housing has issues i posted about already, im getting splintering and cracking.
I hope it dont make it worse.

Oh man that sucks you got the splintering and cracking happening… I’m not sure how I’ve escaped that with my two units since they both are very early models… do you have the silicon cover for it by any chance?

I got one of the earliest models originally (in the first 25 backers), and even this unit that was RMA’ed in Jan 2019 is splintering. Its happening all over the headset and i didnt notice until a week ago when i started to use the headset again (i was using a Valve Index since August of last year

Still don’t have the comfort kit, supposed to be sent with the MAS but no sign of either.
Ordered it 1 December so that’s 6 months 26 days.
No playing Alyx until I get it.

I was playing without a comfort kit for almost 2 years (on and off). I use a Vive DAS plus Vive Pro Foam. I got the comfort kit from Immersive Computing just last week. They have inventory although it is pricier.

1 Like

Same here, I’m still waiting for the confort kit to play Alyx, but now that it is announced it will be included for backers who haven’t opted out so far, I “just” have to wait instead of checking the store every now and then.

1 Like

Yes well I am not a backer and it is even worse for me now. The MAS I already pre-ordered is not compatible with my 5K+ now.
I have learned a lot about ordering from Pimax now. Don’t suppose I ever will again.

That’s something I didn’t thought when watching the video (only thinking about my case obviously).
I suppose you can still cancel ou change your order, but that might be more expensive for those who planned to just buy the standard version (and now have to buy the KDMAS).

1 Like