Brightness control for 5K+

Howdy Pimax team

Is there a future plan to be able to control brightness in the 5K+?

In Elite Dangerous, the game is amazing inside stations with the 5K+. But in space, eeeerrrrrr… not a diss. Just maybe a suggestion

Thanks

1 Like

Yes they confirmed that

And yes before someone… 8k series includes 5k+, 5kbe,8k. At least on Pimax website so…

5 Likes

Thanks TrevorVR!! Perfect. I’ll cope for now :wink:

You know there are profile tools for that? for example kaii edprofiler, create tonemap presets and stuff, works great with my Lenovo explorer
https://g.redditmedia.com/e7yfNPEwHejUdSUYh7jXK_UB6PwSIwJmIgwXCmpif8c.gif?fm=mp4&mp4-fragmented=false&s=72cad0b0cea4751ed9ac7f9d11759239

1 Like

Incorrect sorry to say. Tone mapping takes the black down of the game but not the brightness coming from the lights behind the panels. It’s clearly backlight bleed. I’ve had this on many actual monitors in the past. In fact, it makes it worse. I tried this!

3 Likes

it helped me tweaking different settings and you can overdo it easily, but no problem hope the pitool adjustments will help then…

Oh really? I am happy to be shown to be wrong friend. What did you do? I can’t seem to eliminate it even slightly

just fiddled around with combination of the tonemap slightly down and adjusting gamma and hud brightness. I can not say what exactly you have to do

Respectfully, that’s something different. You are describing darkening the RGB pixel values; what we need is a brightness control which dims the backlight LEDs. That’s the only way to reduce the true brightness of a black pixel (which is shown as dark gray, due to the limitations of an LCD display).

5 Likes

yes i understand the problem. It’s the same as with my ips and lcd monitor, i can never get the depht of colors and blacks as with the ips… it was not meant to solve it but to improve visually with a lack of better solution at the moment.
Curious to know if the result it will be acceptable overall with the slider, even when the blacks get better, i will get the 5k+,but the colors get to dull with the 5k+?

The technology is similar to your LCD screen. The non-BE headsets will never be as vibrant as an OLED headset. I think it will be “good enough”.

Indeed and In most reviews people say it is acceptable,and the brain will adapt over time i noticed with my 4k and lenovo.

@deletedpimaxrep1 @Sean.Huang

If we could have all controls like a real monitor it would be very nice, color,Brightness, contrast, profile per game etc.

Giving users a way to improve performance vs OLED panel greatly increase the Pimax headsets values. This kind of feature could be a answer to the recurring question “PImax headsets have LCD panels not OLED?”

hypothetical answer : “No it’s not OLED but you can tweak the color and brightness per application”

2 Likes

Trust me here - I STRONGLY recommend you work on brightness control asap. I have been playing ED all night. Inside stations the experience is amazing. But in space it kinda sucks

4 Likes

Do you think theres enough brightness to sacrifice in order to get better black levels?

2 Likes

IMHO because different apps internally use different levels of black and some are even using very dark colors like very dark blue almost as a substitute for black it makes the ability to change the overall setting that much more effective. I think brightness control and color control can easily go a long way towards closing the gap with OLED.

2 Likes

It sounds like you are making the case for having dynamic control of the headset backlights. I was thinking I’d set the brightness fairly low and leave it there. Assuming you are thinking of adjusting the brightness in-game, it would be nice if you could swap the headset up/down buttons to adjust brightness instead of sound volume. My understanding is that button action is determined by driver software, so that option might not be that difficult to implement (later, once Pimax has delivered on all their current promises).

4 Likes

Maybe we’re going to need to mod it ourselves with a variable resistor.

1 Like

Great idea, but unlikely to work, given that the LEDS are probably on multiple circuits (so a single rheostat wouldn’t be able to control them all).

Generally, these sorts of LEDs have their brightness controlled by “pulse width modulation”, which is a fancy term for turning it on and off very fast. That’s what the backlight is already doing (at 80 or 90 Hz). (Why isn’t the backlight steady-on? To reduce the color-change blur which occurs when an LCD pixel changes to another value.) Therefore, the only change that needs to be made is adding a variable adjustment to the length of each flash. Shorter flashes means less total light, which means dimmer.

Sorry, that sounds a little pompous, but it’s not intended to be. I wanted to be clear and detailed, so that all our forum members would understand.

1 Like

It doesn’t sound pompous. If that’s how the screens in the Pimax work, it’s how they work

1 Like