Brainwarp, skipping an eye vs Interlacing

I predict that Brainwarp is simply alternating the timing of the two displays, and otherwise they work as normal. Practically this means a fast moving object in the field of stereo overlap will have ghosts as each eye will perceive it in a slightly different place. I’m guessing the brain can compensate for this and treat the older image as an artifact many of us are already used to seeing with fast moving objects on conventional displays.

EDIT: As the newer image hits the panel, the alternate panel will already be winding down and the screen going dark in preparation for the next refresh, so the disruption should be minimal. In theory.

As a side note, I partially enjoyed this guy’s explanation on how many basic things we adopted as our reference standards work… because in a sense, yeah…we’re going a little too far on what we think to need as the next technological step, because most of if has now become only a “next must have tech” pushed by only marketing needs.

Okay…we already going to 8K soon, but for the 15K panels some company has demoed us, do we really need to go that far ? Makes little sense when the image displayed in current WMR headsets is very good already, and that the Pimax 8K is going to totally cancel the visible pixel artifacts and SDE.

Pheraps it’s just a time to sit on 8K and try to improve all the things working around it.

4 Likes

The same happened with DSLR, 5 or so megapixels could produce gorgeous photo’s on a good camera and lens combo, then all the marketing started with higher MegaPixels = better and now we are swamped with 24+ MP cameras that have a harder time to process each shot, huge memory cards needed, sacrificed optical qualities, bigger batteries, heavier etc etc.

2 Likes

Reread your comment. I don’t know if anyone knows if pimax has control over the pixel clock vs when the frames are ready but I sure hope so. Brainwarp, at any level of my expectations, is not possible without basically their own version of gsync or freesync.

I completely forgot about this but: I have “asynchronous reprojection” and “always on reprojection” enabled for EVERY game I play in the vive. Please someone tell me these two reprojection settings can be used with ANY steamvr headset…?

Depends. I am pretty sure that with the Rift, e.g, SteamVR defers to the Oculus Runtime’s functions, foregoing its own.

1 Like

As I understand it those features are standard in SteamVR and since the Pimax is natively supported by steamVR, there should be no problem, right?

1 Like

Just worth noting, don’t use ‘always on reprojection’ for roomscale style games. Its best suited for seated ‘low movement’ VR.

Always on reprojection should be off unless you have a gpu older than a 980. Leave asynchronous reprojection on, leave interleaved reprojection off. Profit.

2 Likes

Exception for using with modern gpu’s can be for anyone struggling with games like project cars

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard that games a beast

1 Like

what does always on reprojection do…? i’ve noticed it helps when it is on

1 Like

Good, because I don’t feel that BW is useful or would make anything better…exactly the opposite.

Reprojection synthesizes intermediate frames, when you GPU can’t keep up. Normally, this is only done as needed. Always on, will reduce the load on your GPU, at the expense of slight visual artifacts (since the synthesized frames aren’t quite accurate compared to the “real” image).

Here are a couple of links, for more info:

https://xinreality.com/wiki/Timewarp

3 Likes

what I don’t understand is whether there is a master clock that is always running even when pixels are off that times them to maximize full brightness and color by being at the perfect state by the time a frame is ready for and sent to display.

I guess we might never know , though I hope we are granted insights once PiMax has developed BW.
I thing StarCitizen might be a bit over powered with all the videos going on , but at least it is possible to get some insights into what they are working at - I really miss that with PiMax …

1 Like

Am I getting you right, in that you wonder whether the raster scan fills the screen up whilst the backlight is turned off, and then the backlight is briefly, but intensly (to make up for the dark period - making photon count over time the same), flashed, for a global display period, also avoiding showing any liquid crystal transition times?

-That should be it.

It of course means there is the latency of needing the screen draw to finish, to take into account when predicting positions, just like with other global refresh HMDs, and there would be slight modification to the scheme, in the unlikely event the screens were to eschew analogue drivers for single cycle PWM, but it does stand to reason – then again; I’m no display manifacturer. :7

4 Likes

Here is a statement a dev made about Always on Reprojection:

Basically utilises cpu that has some headroom reserved for dealing with reprojection detection that can be put to better use to possibly get a gain in fps but is not great for roomscale style movement, best suited to seated low or slow head movement experiences such as Project Cars 1/2, Elite Dangerous.

3 Likes

Thank you for your eloquent wording. Yes. Is there no internal clock already for the backlights?

so when using always on repro, cpu gets used more right? shieet now i think upgrading from a non clockable 6700 to a 7700K would be a good upgrade. Thoughts?