Best quality settings for STEAMVR ive found

I suggest you read this (https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-the-render-target-resolutions-and-the-supersampling-factors-of-pimax-and-steamvr-work-together/19506).

Supersampling factor set in SteamVR is a just another factor applied to the recommended render target resolution. All what you imagine is happening is actually not happening. Everyone just modifies the resolution and passes is it to the next one in the row (from PiTool, to SteamVR to the final app).

The app can then modify the resolution further (by using in-app modifiers) and then renders the image and passes the image to SteamVR, which passes it to the pitool driver, which warps the image and formats it for the panel.

7 Likes

As quoted by Risa from Gared - This.

For me I find it best to keep SteamVR out of the render scaling but to leave it to Pitool instead. Thus my using SteamVR of 100%.

With the recent through the lens Macro shots Martin (SweViver) was doing, he was setting PiTool Render to 1 and then Steam Video Render to 120%. Assuming FOV was set at normal, that would be requesting a render target resolution of 4036 x 3548

I would have used PiTool Render at 1.25 and have SteamVR at 100%. With the same FOV that would give 4604 x 4052
It is a little more but, it takes into account SS as pertaining to how Pimax utilises the screens on their headsets.

Having also only 1 piece of software calling the shots on Render Targets keeps the Render Pipeline a little simpler. I like simple. :+1:

PimaxUSA has stipulated also in the past that PiTool Render above settings of 1 does some other stuff that is above and beyond PiTool Render value of 1 or less.

All this is mute if you don’t change SteamVR defaults
“maxRecommendedResolution”: 4096,
Line to something higher or SteamVR uses that as a brick wall and no render target above that will be achieved.

All fun.

Now, who knows the best settings for Ryzen Master and VR? So far tried Gamer Mode and Creator Mode but with SMT off. Ram seems to work nicely at 3800 under Precision Boost Overdrive. Not bad considering it is 3200 C15 rated.

lol no :slight_smile:
app cant change steamvr resolution :slight_smile: its not my imagination. im c++ programmer and exactly know what happening :slight_smile:

Btw i hack gpuspeed test in steamvr so its always 3000 :smiley: and fix recomended at 0.25 also. but its really change only start resolution (when no app running)

1 Like

Yes u missed alot.
best possible quality is SteamSS 400% and Pitool ss 2.0

SteamSS oversampling work as SSAA antiliasing. So its good (if u can afford that)
Pitool doing NON-LINEAR transformation (R-G-B layers have own transformations at subpixel level) so there no resolution for “pixel-to-pixel” for that. Just more resolution - more precise transformation.
And Pitool 2.0 much better than 1.0.

U can play game with SteamSS 100% and pitool 1.0 , but Pitool distortion will be less precise in that case.
so SteamSS 25% and pitool 2.0 looks clearer and less artefacts.

PS: SteamSS 25% and PTool 2.0 eat bit more gpu power. But its really looks better. (at least on Pimax 8k with subpixel structure. not sure about 5k.)

2 Likes

looks like u dont understand me or u dont understand what u writing. because there same things as i told you here :smiley: (app individual SS works as main SS divider. u can use it or not. its not important. U can use global 100% and set 25% for each app :slight_smile: no difference at all. Its only between SteamVR and game.)

Btw ive using App SS 25% and 100% for movies… but some apps not running in resolution more than 8192… so i set global 25%. its enough.

Pitool SS 2.0 gives u more precise non-linear lens and projections transformation. Which is good for quality. (but its bit lower fps (with same effective game resolution)

1 Like

This is a good topic and everyone is trying out various things that we can learn from and apply. What is unfortunate is everyone here reading this seems capable of making these adjustments where as probably the average user or new user cannot and that is the point of my earlier topic. For a test try reverting your settings back to normal what SteamVr suggests and what first time user will experience when starting their HMD. Its is horrible you will certainly agree if you test this for your self. These are a list of settings I have made to get a reasonably good experience playing Fallout 4 VR. Without these settings or something similiar I feel my Pimax 8k would be worthless.

Here are my current settings for Fallout4VR that seem to work well

Considering my game is fully loaded with 112 active mods and 87 active plugins
Tons of trees and an additional grass mod that I doubled the recommended load.
Sharp image and acceptable performance.

Change the following default.vrsettings at your own risk if your a Fallout 4 VR fan and want to experiment some. They may be reset anyway even though set to read only.
default.vrsettings

changed to read only

“renderTargetMultiplier”: 1.0,
“maxRecommendedResolution”: 9000,
“supersampleScale”: 0.039999999105930328,
“allowSupersampleFiltering”: false,
“supersampleManualOverride”: true,
“motionSmoothing”: false,

PiTool

Compatible with parallel projections ON
FOV Large
Refresh Rate 80 Hz
Render Quality 2

SteamVR Settings

Applications

Custom Resolutions
Fallout 4 VR
Big Edit: necessary after discovering motion smoothing was reset to true requiring the need for the 500% setting to get any decent visuals
After changing motion smoothing to false I am now able to get a much sharper image at only
200% or4520x 2208

Forget this 500% 7152 x 3492

Video

Disabled custom resolution
unchecked if you use it the Custom resolution you set
in Custom Resolutions will be overwriten so far for the
Pimax 8K running Fallout 4 VR 4520 x 2208 gives a reasonable
level of sharpness and performance using my 1080ti

Nvidia Control Panel 3D Settings
Anistropic filtering 16x
Prefer maximum performance
Shader Cache ON
Texture filtering Quality High quality
Vertical sync Off
Virutal Reality pre-rendered frames 1

Fallout 4 ingame settings
World scale adjustment MAX
Use Open VR advanced settings to adjust player height in game.

Disable CL, FXAA and TAA this alone will do wonders for Fallout 4VR

SteamVR’s recommended settings are laughable and an insult to the Pimax 8K

4 Likes

So, i did my first test. Playing iracing with 5k. Previously used pitool 1.25 and steam ss 100%.
First it wasn’t clear how to find out right cfg:
1. Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings - almost empty cfg, it just doesn’t looks right, contains ss-scalefactor string with completely wrong value, changing it has no visible impact on steamvr settings throug gui and vice versa. update: this one is correct cfg, use it
2. Users\Username\AppData\Local\openvr - didn’t tried yet
3. SteamApps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings - this one looks like a real cfg with all the necessary lines, except for reprojection. Making changes.

enableDistortion: false,

maxRecommendedResolution 4266,

added allowAsyncReprojection: false,

added allowInterleavedReprojection: false,

supersampleScale: 0.25,

allowSupersampleFiltering: false,

supersampleManualOverride: true,

motionSmoothing: false,

this has indeed affected the settings slider showing 100% steamvr ss (fake, assuming 0.25}, still the cfg might work, got 90 fps without smatsmoothing which would be normally not possible with pitool 2.0 and steamr 100% + large fov.
Visual improvements? Couldn’t really see any, even if there is some - you won’t notice it immideately without to look hard.

update: cfg n1 is a correct one, just add all the missing lines.

2 Likes

How did you figure it out?

Long time ago, I did some experiments with setting PiTool and SteamVR, using different settings in each and comparing the output, there was no difference in the transformed image:
(https://community.openmr.ai/t/is-it-best-to-fix-pitool-at-a-certain-resolution-like-1-75-or-2-0-and-change-steamvr-ss-or-the-opposite-or-are-they-interchangeable/14897/28)

Also there was no difference in the rendered image (from the the app). The different factors just add up to make the final res, suggested to the app.

6 Likes

U set max resolution 4266. So steamvr WILL NOT render more than 4266. (not important how much steamSS u will set. resolution will be not more than 4266. So its not fake. Its how steamvr options work :slight_smile:

Why 4266? your full resolution is 8532?
I have 8864 (8k normal fov and PP is on)

To see difference u need turn steamvr filtering on, set resolution exactly x2 lower than pimax want. (not lower and not higher)

1 Like

figure what?

PitoolSS 2.0 bit lower fps? (with same source resolution) its fact.
Pitool doing nonlinear transformations - its fact.
PitoolSS 2.0 give better image quality - its fact. Its clearer. and less pixel jitter while move objects.

Problem is - to see full PitoolSS 2.0 quality u need feed him good quality source.
Dont think u can play games with steamvr SS 100% and PitoolSS 2.0. its too much pixels :slight_smile:
Thats why ive testing x2 upsampling.
Really u can doing ingame upsampling (some games support it). But i figure out Steamvr upsampling working faster, and with not bad quality.
(For example - Elite upsampling give u even better quality. but fps lower… about -5 which is too much)

Have you read the long post about how all the factors apply which I wrote? Which part did you not understand?

3 Likes

I know how its work. I read some from your post (not full), and its ok. But now i told u about other things :smiley: I dont understand what u mean.
Every schoolboy know how to calculate area of rectangles :slight_smile:
you just got confused in the SteamVR mechanics, if u think AppSS and GlobalSS is a different.
Really steamVR have ONE scale factor (and single pass scale processing). U can set different scale factor for each game - but its not important for things i told you.
recomended resolution its just hard limiter. (resolution cant go higher, no matter what ur SS setting)

Step 1: Pitool driver asking for resolution (depend of PitoolSS,FOV,PP setting,version,and HMD model)
Step 2: SteamVR divide pitool resolution depend of globalSS*appSS and recomended resolution limiter
Step 3. SteamVR asking game for resolution (which result of Step 2)
Step 4. Game render in resolution which steamVR asking.
Step 5. SteamVR take picture from game, scale it to pitool resolution - and send it to driver.

Step 6. driver take picture and doing transformations. 1st - parallel projection 2nd - lens distortion (its maybe one pass transformation and maybe not. I dont know. (if I were writing a program, I would try to make both transformations in one pass)

3 Likes

This is VERY confusing!!! For a 5K+, should we use the exact same settings or is it only for the 8K ?

i have 8k only. I read that 5k has a slightly different resolution. But i’m not sure. Just check it out.

As far as I know:
-5K: 2x 2560×1440 screens
-8K: 2x 3840x2160 screens

Gared, what is the correct settings for 5K for “maxRecommendedResolution” then please ?

There is no connection at all between the HMD screen resolution and the pitool resolution.

1 Like

Ah sorry, so “maxRecommendedResolution” : 4432 is also valid on the 5K+ then ?

Its just limiter. depend of what you want doing with that.