Before the Kickstarter Ends, Please do a Demo of NATIVE 8K (DP1.4) with a GTX 1080Ti or whatever GPU setup can handle it

I’m backing this but as a consumer I really want to know the experience I’m paying 200$USD more for.

A potential NATIVE 8K experience

Not to mention it’ll be a great marketing boost to show how far ahead you are.

Also please don’t film vertical videos.

Seriously DON’T.

3 Likes

You’re paying extra 200$ for a proper reason to get new and powerful Volta in the 2018 :smiley:

1 Like

@industria

I would like someone to at least see the quality difference and have that WOW factor.

So far Norman has only seen the Upscaled and only experienced 4K content and they said it’s not ‘the HOLY GRAIL yet’.

I want to see if 4K per eye at Native is really the Holodeck.

They are selling a version of a product no one has even seen or tried.

2 Likes

@generic They wont be able to demo the 8k x yet or demo at native resolutionbbecause the ability doesn’t exist yet. The 8k X wont be ready until April or May Q1-Q2 2018.

The $500 base 8k HMD cannot display a native 4k per eye because of the limits of its bridge chip. (The bridge Chip communicates between the driver board and the display.) One bridge chip can only drive dual 4k panels at 50hz, so the 8k X will need to have a second bridge Chip and two displayport connectors to enable full resolution and refresh rate.

You will have to wait for 8k X to get full tilt resolution.

The OP asks for a ‘‘demo of Native 8K’’. Well, that’s not going to happen. Why?

What Pimax call 8K, is only pertaining to horizontal resolution. At best,this is native 4K.

Native 8K @ 90hz is impossible even on dual SLI Volta in 2018. 8K is 16 x 1080p, or 4 x 4K.
Imagine a GPU that can run 16 monitors @ 1080p, and then don’t imagine it in 2018, maybe 2024.

So to recap, the Pimax 8K-X models in May 2018, that use Dual DP 1.4, are native 4K, in an HMD this equates to 2 x 4K 4K per Eye, not native 8K (4 x 4K). It’ll be maybe 6+ years before we see this kind of performance at 90hz or beyond, unless someone can sort out Foveated Rendering, then we’re talking sooner.

Next generation of Nvidia in TI or Titan edition should go.

Pimax calls it 8K, I know the specifics, just like how the Pimax 4K is 4K but not for both eyes.

I just want to know WTF it actually looks look like.

People buying the 8K X essentially have no idea what the actual improvements are. Obviously it’s going to look better but by how much? Can you still see pixels?

Even Pimax says the improvement of the 8K X over the Standard 8K is not very noticeable and their Kickstarter FAQ recommends that we don’t even acquire it.

They may say this but it just can not be true. Pimax has blown right past their goal very quickly and it will only climb.

Some people want the best image quality possible & the least SDE.

Pixels will likely be visible if one looks for them hard enough.

It is worth considering that if you run native 4k SDE will actually go up a little, though you will have more detail.

Not an obvious difference.

Such pixels as on gif?
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/394/459/d502ee261784ab298163207f5f2c95dc_original.gif?w=680&fit=max&v=1505836258&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=5c59f09e2c2332c2118af5bb3771f837

If yes, then there is 0 difference, these are pixels of a display, not of a rendered resolution.

I believe you will be able to notice the difference in picture quality overall, however even in native mod you will require some antialiasing or multisampling to get rid of aliasing artefacts.

So is there a big difference between supersampling and upscaling vs less supersampling and native resolution - no idea. The key feature is a second chip processing rendering and a second display port, means more bandwidth compared to single display port version.

Norm and Jeremy both said they saw pixels, but that it was better than rift or Vive. Its likely that the 8k will have the same SDE as the pimax 4k, since the FOV was doubled with a screen for each eye.

SDE = pixel density of a physical device + lenses (type or quality, not sure) + distance between display and lenses
pixel density is probably same to 4k, so it’s most like all about lenses

1 Like

They must have a prototype of the 8k-X

No obvious difference (meaning have to scrutinize)

I am guessing they have a prototype bridge chip

Sorry you’re wrong the screen door effect Would be less noticeable .The only way they would become more noticeable is if they increase the magnification of the lense,what they might actually do is decrease the magnification to compensate for the increased resolution.

In the current 4k model you can see a minor sde with still images. But is quite negligible. Moving pictures you will not notice.

Never tried the pimax 4k I always thought it was a fake little company "but look it me now I actually bought a headset on Kickstarter!:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You should care about Steam.
Steam does not provide 4K resolution actually so whatever you are doing you will not have 4K experience.

That should be said.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/394/459/d502ee261784ab298163207f5f2c95dc_original.gif?w=680&fit=max&v=1505836258&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=5c59f09e2c2332c2118af5bb3771f837

This gif is a bad example.
Having had both the CV1 and the Pimax 4K i can tell you that you see no sde with the CV1 and Lucky’s Tale.
There is no difference when playing to Lucky’s Tale with the CV1 or Pimax 4K.

You see an sde with the CV1 when there is a complex image with lot of different colors.
You can see an sde in Assetto Corsa but you can’t in Lucky’s Tale.

I had oculus and vive from the first batch and I gave up in a week selling them on eBay. As for me this gif is a real good example.

However it doesn’t matter, we were talking about the differences in software and physical pixels, not really important which brand they belong

Indeed it should. I think a stretch goal needs to be swappable lenses to achieve a lower FOV, either 110 or 150 degrees. Either of these would decrease SDE, and would not require a huge rewrite of how steam renders to HMD. IthinkSteam VR renders 150 degrees at max (according to Doc-Oc.)