Basestation Vive - basic set-up requirement

Hi - I just received a HTC Vive Base station (just one) I was told by Pimax all I needed to do was plug it in, and then the PITools software would see it (I presume the headset is seeing the base station?) but alas it just says no base station detected.

My question is, after reading more about this, do I need to connect the base station to the PC via an additional Bluetooth connection? I.e. I need to buy a USB Bluetooth adaptor for my PC and then the headset connects via that to the base station? Sorry, probably this is a very mundane question. R. Jon

1 Like

Hi Jon,

Have you setup & mounted the Light house?

@neal_white_iii has 1 Lighthouse & can likely offer some tips.

3 Likes

No.

Just plug the base. There is no need to connect it to the PC by any means, it is completely autonomous. (You may use BT to control the power management though, but it does not affect the operation of the tracking.)

5 Likes

Thank you for the replies, it helped! I’m almost there. It is now seen by Pimax software but it keeps saying it is not being tracked. I’ve got it in front of base station - I tried moving headset around but it does not track it.

3 Likes

Try hiding it completely (from the base station), then bring it back into view.

If that doesn’t work, hold the headset ~0.5 m from the base station, then slowly back away to 2-3 m. Repeat as necessary. If it still fails to track, restart the Pimax drivers and/or headset (using PiTool). Then repeat the initial steps above.

Once it starts tracking, you should be good. The newer PiTool versions (since ~.180) are much better about tracking initialization.

3 Likes

I have only one BS as well. Make sure the switch on the BS shows that it is in Mode A.

In a 1 base station setup, only use mode ‘A’. ‘B’ will work, but will only be 30hz as ‘A’ defaults to 60hz if no sync cable is attached.

My SteamVR window shows my base station “tracking in Mode A”

5 Likes

Have you done “Room setup” in PiTool? If not, I suggest doing this and then in SteamVR too (either seated or room scale depending on what you plan). Without setting it up in PiTool it will not work.

EDIT: I guess, you did try Room setup. Try SteamVR setup then.

2 Likes

Hi - i finally got it to work. I had to walk away from base station about 4ft or so and turn it around and back and then it started to track it. I’ve placed it at back of room behind me (on monitor in front it’s too close and loses sight of the headset) if i buy another one, will that make tracking better? Ie i have two behind me? Or this won’t make much difference. I’m basically only using it seated.

4 Likes

You can also just mount it high above and in front of You to get some distance.

Most of the sensors are placed in the front of the headset so that should work.

That said, I have my single basestation (for seated gaming) mounted 40-50 cm in front of me and about 10 cm higher than where my face/headset is and I only have issues with the initial tracking.

As soon as it’s tracked it stays tracked.

As @neal_white_iii says, try to “hide” the headset from the lighthouse. I.e. turn the headset 180° and back and/or hide it behind the chair for a short while. Works every single time for me… “The Pimax Tracking Wiggle”… :wink:

4 Likes

I’ll try much higher up and slightly in front. The issue is I keep having to lean in towards the screen (so to speak) to see smaller details and then it loses tracking if it’s mounted on the monitor, I think it must just fall outside it’s scan. As you say, perhaps high up and pointing right down it will work better.

3 Likes

A second base station would probably help, but try mounting it in better place first.

I also lose tracking sometimes when I lean in to look at the left screen in Elite D. (My base station is mounted up and to the right of my seat, so that the monitor doesn’t block it when I’m seated.)

1 Like

I had my 1 base station mounted originally 3 feet in front of my seated position and slightly off to the left and when I leaned in close to the monitor/keyboard I lost tracking, so I mounted it 7 feet high on the left side at 90 degrees to me and about the same distance away (approx. 7 feet). Now no more issue sitting or standing except it I turn with my back completely to it and hold that position. This will be resolved of course once I get my last 2 base stations.

2 Likes