Artisan review, the good the bad and the ugly

Yeah, I felt much more immersed in Beat saber than with my index. All of a sudden those ‘surroundings’ come alive, while with the index you dont even notice them. What a difference 10% can make :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It feels a little strange when i first put the Index on now, like “what happened to all of my FOV”. I wanted to add that with the first part of your review i was expecting the Artisan to feel cheap too. It’s solid and feels very good. It really surprised me.

3 Likes

I did find that it indeed differs per game, as @mixedrealityTV said in his review. Interestingly I don’t see ANY distortion at all in beat saber, even if I try to find it. I think it’s because you’re focused on the center and there’s a ‘disconnect’ between what happens in the peripheral and the center.

Where I see distortion the most is for example in the SteamVR room, maybe also because there are quite a few vertical, long structures there.

4 Likes

Just a reminder that there is (…at least was; I assume it remains…) a difference between the ROV SteamVR environment, and the (commercial) ROV standalone application.

The latter will (supposedly; I have never tried it myself) lock the game cameras in place at the origin of the protractor niche, when sighting for FOV; But in the former, you are free to move around, and are expected to fiddle around with a pair of clumsy paddles, which makes it all too easy to stand too far back, or too far in front, resulting in readings that are too large or small, depending on how/when/where you do them. :7

4 Likes

Yeah, i have the commercial one. It indeed locks in place.

2 Likes

I meant that i can notice the distortion more in bigger settings but it’s still very small. Close environments i can’t tell and straight structures and angles will make it more will make apparent. It’s definitely game dependent. I’m going to mess around some more with the IPD tonight and adjusting the comfort kit.

2 Likes

Perception of FOV is always dependent on human IPD. Other ppl say at this forum that they measured ~130 horizontally @Djonko what is you real life IPD ?

Except Risa’s tool is not subjective. It pulls requested rendered FoV. You can’t see more than is rendered.

With Risa adding Oculus probing it would be interesting to see if it match’s steamvr results. In case Platform changes render requested FoV.

5 Likes

For me the only thing the index does better really are colors slightly and with the comfort kit and das i find the Artisian more comfortable.The Artisian to me is clearer and a very noticeably larger fov,i just dont see where the index really wins here i would recommend and get the Artisian everytime.I noice next to nothing distortion wise in the Artisian,And i have used and oculus cv1 oddysey plus hp reverb pimax 5kplus 8k plus and index and would choose the Artisian over all them.

1 Like

Feel strange with FOV for me on normal on 5k+ o have some where between 145 and 150 horisontal FOV.

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your thorough review.

5 Likes

Yeah I think they did what @Heliosurge said above, they renamed ‘small’ from the other headsets to ‘normal’ for the artisan. And “potato” to small.

I do believe the DAS will make it much more comfortable. In fact, I really think Pimax should just always ship it with DAS and ditch the headstrap, that’s just really a bad system. If they’d ship it standard with the DAS, I think it would already be much more comparable with the Index.

2 Likes

Thank you, this is all really interesting

2 Likes

Problem is some Simers dont want MAS or DAS they want normal headstrap. When you sit in a chair with headrest MAS/DAS knob can be in the way.

Exactly this. I found it interesting that the ROV tool had pretty much the same result as risa’s tool. This means that pretty much all that’s being rendered is also visible. For example with the Vive Pro there’s quite a big difference there (rendered image being hidden behind the plastic and foam)

You can remove the knobs (in the smas the knobs are speakers). Plus Sweviver’s roadshow showed ppl using headphones as the smas speakers were not great.

Talk about the knob at the back you use to make it bigger/smaller.

I just realized why I didnt see any distortion in Beat Saber. You’ll only see distortion on the Pimaxes when you A) look near the edges of the lenses and B) move (turn) your head while doing that. In Beat Saber you don’t do any of that, so Beat Saber really is a distortion free experience. And I like it! In fact, if Pimax would solve the distortion, I think I might even prefer the Artisan over the Index, especially if it came standard with the DAS.

But right now the Index stays my To Go headset. There’s a sense of ‘being there’ that’s just unrivaled, I think it’s because of the 100% distortion free image combined with the 120/144 hz

4 Likes

@Heliosurge I have had a look at the data you collected, you made a thorough work :slight_smile:. After reviewing the FOVs for different configurations I would like to point out few details:

1. It seems that the IPD setting does not have a impact on the geometry, both 59 and 72 mm produce the same values.
  2. While it seems that both “Small” and “Normal” FOVs offer the same refresh rate options (72, 90, 120) they use the same FOVs for 72 and 120 and the different one for 90 Hz:

Small FOV

72 and 120 Hz (they differ only in the second digit after a decimal point):

Total FOV:
    horizontal:  96.6x deg
    vertical:   102.70 deg
    diagonal:   106.7x deg
    overlap:     86.79 deg

90 Hz

Total FOV:
    horizontal: 111.93 deg
    diagonal:   114.85 deg

Normal FOV

72 and 120 Hz

Total FOV:
    horizontal: 131.9x deg
    diagonal:   127.xx deg

90 Hz

Total FOV:
    horizontal: 116.77 deg
    diagonal:   117.71 deg

This is a bit intriguing, because I would expect the FOVs to be the same for all refresh rates, or, if one is smaller, it would be the one for the highest refresh rate (i.e. 120Hz). Having 90 Hz mode in Normal having only 116° horizontal, while 72 and 120 Hz modes have 131° looks almost like na error, and does not make sense.

1. The recorded recommended render target resolution differs for different modes, so I would like to ask you, if you changed PiTool render quality, or SteamVR supersampling during running the tests, or everything was set to nominal values (PiTool RQ=1, SteamVR SS=100%)?
  2. You did not record any geometry for parallel projection modes. Could you record those as well? Considering the IPD does not affect the readings, recording Normal and Small, for one IPD should be enough (you may even skip 72 Hz as it seems to be the same as 120Hz, but for the completeness, I would like to see this one too).

I would definitely like to add your reports to my database on GitHub, but I need to do some changes to the backend logic (which generates the reports and images), because right now it does not make a distinction between different refresh rates and I need to add it, to be able to properly display all configuration. So it might take some time.

Thanks again,
Richard

here are my measurements with risa2000 tools maximum fov 130 degrees

9 Likes

but keep in mind my helmet doesn’t work well at 90Hz and we agreed that in the future we will double-check the data, unfortunately my helmet does not match the standard due to 90Hz (the picture is very dark and I don’t know how to fix it, but I don’t worry because I’m waiting for a replacement). dear author, please note that after changing the settings in pitool, it is imperative to restart steamVR

2 Likes