Apple Vision Pro's launch

So 33’ish degrees - sounds like a suitably comfortable FOV; Maybe I should get something better than my old 2k monitor, myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

How long before we hear of the first person stabbed in a AVP robbery? You’re literally walking around with 4k on you head ready for it to be snatched. Police “Did you not see anyone walk up to you?” Victim “You’re joking right? AVP only had 90FOV and no rear cameras”

2 Likes

Oh yeah that’s definitely going to be a thing. Enough neighbourhood’s where wearing this even might get you killed.

I think for VR to replace a 4k projector HMDs are going to need 16k panels to float a 4k display in a VR environment. 1080 might look good on a 4k VR panel though. I think its going to take another 10 years to get that sort of quality on an Micro OLED panel at least. Who knows where TVs and Projectors will be by then.

My take on the AVP is that Apple is looking at the AR glasses as its future vision, and the AVP just is the first step to prepare the eco system for that.

Lacking the ability to produce a RayBan Stories format AR device with the capabilities of the AVP, they chose to abandon the form and focus on the function of a future AR device. Their vision is that this device eventually will be lightweight, and people will wear it all day, or at least at work or during longer stretches of the day. It indeed will replace the iPhone & iPads, and TV and desktop. It will be the central interface between humans and the digital world. Just like we thought 10 years ago already AR devices would be one fine day work. It‘s not even entirely clear if the ability to provide VR, so a fully virtual environment, is absolutely necessary - it‘s a nice to have for sure, but it means it needs to cover your entire FoV at least to be able to block your view on your real environment completely. So the AVP is effectively just a devkit allowing devs & early adopters shape the software part of this new computing environment so it is ready when the proper AR hardware arrives in 5-10 years.

Apple don‘t necessarily want their users to enter the Oasis - they are content if the users remain in their real environment augmented by all kinds of informations screens, etc. and use Apple‘s hardware for all of this (after all, Apple is mainly a hardware company) while earning 30% on all app sales.
Meta is different: they reluctantly do the hardware bit to maintain control but are rather looking at getting their users to spend the majority of their time, their social interaction, within the Metaverse. Their business model is to gather as much information on the user as possible to allow for targeted advertising earning them their money.

Two very different concepts resulting in different takes on the MR/MX/VR/AR/Spatial Computing conundrum.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure this is spot on. They just want people to wear their iphones on their heads.

@twack3r Well honestly, people who use it as a monitor replacement seem to be impressed.
https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1755056579093614961

2 Likes

Ok now it gets interesting https://twitter.com/iVRy_VR/status/1755139930173387224/photo/1

This is huge. If he can get this working I’m pretty sure I’ll buy the AVP. Only reason for me to not buy it at that point would be news about a new upcoming native SteamVR headset, which hopefully will come soon too!

2 Likes

Doesn‘t really help without having controllers:

And it‘s still 4000,-. Two years later Apple will likely release a cheaper & better successor. I‘ll wait.

An XR-4 I guess makes more sense for PCVR

1 Like

That’s really a different project @Axacuatl from a different developer. I don’t even care about that one, not expecting any good out of that project. More a proof of concept than something useful.

Now the one that I linked, from IVRY above, WILL have compatibility with your existing controllers (quest, lighthouse etc). It will really be pretty much like it’s natively compatible with for example your quest controllers.

1 Like

Let‘s see how well it works at the end. And yet it would be a bulky, heavy headset - with a super-annoying tethered battery - with limited comfort. I rather hope for super-resolution PC VR headsets following the Beyond approach.

And 4 grand is too much for me, if it ain‘t the holy grail giving me all I want.

2 Likes

Of course I agree. But I also believe that the AVP will have the best image fidelity currently available. So that’s why I’m interested for sure. But even better would be a high-end Meta headset any time soon. I really enjoy my Quest 3 but can’t wait for an even better one.

2 Likes

Nah. I’ve decided that I can’t go back to non pancake lenses. They’re just SUCH a delight on my quest 3, sharp image from side to side and 100% geometrically stable, I love it.

3 Likes

Does the AVP even has a native DP port or similar?
The highest Picture Fidelity will be surpassed by the XR-4 once the sales for consumer starts in March/April. I personally can wait until then.

1 Like

The AVP has approx. 34 PPD, the Varjo VR-4 (and Crystal) definitely isn‘t worse resolution-wise.

But I suppose HDR & black levels will be superior on the AVP.

1 Like

In that case it could make sense for you. Yeah, some aspherical lenses are not that geometrically stable, with an exception in case of the XTAL lenses. They are like pancake lenses in that regard, at least after my experience so far. For me with the Aero geometrically stability was great, as soon as my eyes were in the sweet spot. With the pimax crystal on the other head I always felt something was off and I think the geometrically stability was not good enough.

2 Likes

Hmm good question, I dont know if the wifi on board is fast enough, probably not.

1 Like

Hmm interesting enough that the AVP has approximately 50% more pixel compared to the crystal or the Aero with a somewhat comparable FOV but still „only“ with the same 35ish PPD.