Apple 8K (8k per eye small fov) vs Pimax 12k (6k per eye wide fov) discussion

I would like to experience the same extreme effects when looking at a virtual sun in the sky as I do in real life

I love all these articles saying the human eye can only see 75hz. it is true, but the test setups they were looking at were with very very high quality test equipment with little to no ghosting. people have to understand that these research results dont show the big picture.

also the research does not take into account reaction time. you will very very very clearly tell when going from 75hz to 240 on gaming displays because the input response lag associated gets improved (you are given more data to work with while you move the mouse). so id say in the best case scenario 200hz in vr is probably the limit. I have the 5k super and i can clearly tell the differences between fps all the way up to 180hz.

You want to get burned?! Itā€™ll never happen, imagine the lawsuitsā€¦

If we ever want to get close to reality then I want to feel the warmth of the sun and see its brightness in full

1 Like

I have access to a Varjo XR-3 VR/AR headset, which is a similar idea - ultra high resolution but similar FOV to the Quest. The XR-3 has an even higher DPI than the consumer Varjo Aero, because (similar to the Pimax 12k I guess), it has a special ultra-high-DPI ā€œfocus screenā€ that stays in the center of the image (using eye tracking for a form of dynamic foveated rendering). And I have to say, whether I choose to use the Varjo for VR or my Pimax 8KX depends on what I want to use it for.

As a virtual desktop, the Varjo wins hands-down - itā€™s just amazing, a virtual desktop floating in the room with you looks exactly like a real monitor. I have a curved ultra-wide monitor I use for software development, 5620x1440 resolution, and if I put a curved virtual desktop above it, they look the same! Itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve experienced VR that has perfectly replicated the sharpness and solidity of a real monitor display. I just wish the Varjo head strap was comfortable enough to do hours of work on it.

ā€¦but for VR games, I always go for the Pimax, mainly for the immersion. For me, FOV trumps sharpness by a long shot. Heck, I kinda think the Varjoā€™s ultra-sharpness is less immersive, less realistic, because it makes the infinite focus much more apparent - everything you see seems sharper than real life everywhere you look. Donā€™t get me wrong, I wish I had more sharpness in Flight Sim 2020, I crank it up as high as I can get my computer to go (and donā€™t come close to hitting the limits of the Pimax 8KX). But Iā€™ve played Flight Sim 2020 with the Varjo, and I lose a lot of the immersion - sure I can read the finest text in the planeā€™s gauges and displays without even thinking about it, but looking out the windows and seeing the ground far below and the clouds at the same detail and sharpness pulls me out of the moment.

So put me down on team FOV :slight_smile: I want the Apple headset for its AR capabilities, but give me the Pimax 12K for gaming.

1 Like

MUST have for Varjo users: https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/varjo-vr-3-xr-3-counter-balance-comfort-kit-200-gram-7oz
That straps makes it the most comfortable headset Iā€™ve ever tried. I donā€™t even use the counter weight myself, but just the strap, makes all the difference.

I surely do miss the Pimax FoV (or even more so, the StarVR FoV, daaaamn). Itā€™s just so much better than the Varjo FOV and adds a lot to immersion in games, totally agreed. But other than that, too many downsides (comfort, lenses, mura mostly). Really hoping that Varjo is going to release a wider FoV headset (or Pimax really improving on their lenses, comfort and panel quality, but Iā€™m not sure if theyā€™re capable enough to make better lenses).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.