Anyone heard of the Yaw2 motion simulator?

So in other words: Motion Compensation is great for the 3 DOF that are rotational. But we should decouple the MC for translational effects if we fake them, even if we have to attenuate them significantly.

So on a 3 DOF platform:
3 Rotational DOF : MC good.
3 (Simulated) Translational DOF : MC bad.

My question as I await the Yaw 2 to be delivered is:
Does the MC already do this?
Or do we need to do something with OVRMC to make it work?

I hope it works this way , but we will have to see.

There is a Yaw2 simulator program that you can connect the telemetry to to see right now. I wonder if Simhub could be adjusted to do what you wanted?

1 Like

Ill try it. Yeah it looks to map to phone. Cant wait until I get home. Theres another peice of software called FlyPTā€¦if not the one then perhaps the otherā€¦
Looks like backer 22 got his non-pro version a whole month agoā€¦almost 6 weeks ago.

1 Like

Its called yaw vr emulator

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only just noticed this thread and I find it very interesting because it brings together actual user experiences of my most expensive ā€œtoysā€ in my quest for immersion in flight sims, (XP11 and MSFS).

Although Iā€™ve never been brave enough to gamble on being a backer, Iā€™ve spent barrowloads of cash on VR headsets and motion platforms.

I havenā€™t commited to a yawvr 2 yet (luckilly !), but have been using a Yaw1 pro and DOF Reality H3 and H6.

Each has itā€™s Pros and Cons, hence me still having the DOF rig and the Yaw, as I canā€™t decide which to keep. Maybe the Yaw2 will be a succesful blend of the two devices.

The DOF rig works better with my other Flight and Driving Sim hardware, whereas the Yaw 1ā€™s much more extreme movements (even with the yaw axis restricted) neccessitate it being mounted in the middle of the room and used exclusively with a VR headset. Itā€™s also quite low down for screen use anyway, even with the low wheeled platform I made for mine.

The DOF rig is superb for driving sims, but Iā€™ve never managed to get smooth subtle pitch and roll movements because of the rotary wormgear/pushrod actuation method and the basic design of the centre of weight being much higher than the pivot point, so when youā€™re leaning over fully in any direction, your weight is then way off balance.

The Yaw 1ā€™s hemisphere on rollers is a brilliant way round the problem, since the riderā€™s weight remains much closer within the bowl, keeping a much more constant loading on the driving rollers, so smooth movements in flight sims are better, and over a much greater tilt range. It does have to be kept as light and compact as possible though, to avoid extraneous addons (like heavy pedals or wheels), can introduce inertia overrun, with their kinetic energy being so far from the central pivot.

The Yaw2, having the same roller based curved mechanism, rather than linear or rotary actuators intrigues me. Iā€™ve never been able to try one out, but it could indeed be a good compromise between the conventional seating position of a DOF rig but with the increased range of motion of a YawVR. Though it is a thought at the back of my mind that with the rider sitting so much higher above the rotation axis (unlike the Yaw1), it must be working quite hard to bring the rider back upright after leaning them over at 45 degrees.

3 Likes

So they posted this video today and claim that they are aware of the pitch compensation issue

I think this is the issue they are referring to where he brakes and then the view in the game also pitches. It should probably just move forward to simulate being thrown forward

Time stamped video of him braking

1 Like

Yeah the braking looks correct. Its hard to tell sometimes.
The chair definately tilts forward more than the VR pose on screen, which looks to stay relatively straight on. The question becomes when he brakes does his head remain level with the real horizon (then the vr pose should tilt downward). If his head tilts with the chair the VR pose should remain level as the tilting is merely for deceleration effect, not a true tilting. Best I can tell it really does it correctly, his head follows the tilt while the pose stays level.

But you can also see that the side to side forces in turns do not tilt him left or right as they should. Or at least I would like. Maybe you have to turn it on/off.
Thanks for the link.
According to @flag ghost on discord it totally works and is very immersive when done correctly.

2 Likes

Good catch on the side tilt (roll), I was so focused on the pitch that i wasnā€™t even looking at that.

I only got pitch & roll , Iā€™m not convinced that yaw is needed yet (plus less logistics around furniture placement :wink:)

Its good they are doing the compensating fron the yaw itself rather than the headset

I wanted to buy this chair, but I live in Canada. After the dollar exchange, duty, taxes and shipping etc. the cost is higher than the Yaw 2 itself. Too bad. Itā€™s just a bit too much.

What province?

If I am not totally blown away Iā€™ll probsbly sell. :wink:

I live in Northern Ontario.

2 Likes

not too bad. Iā€™ll keep you in mind.

I have the Yaw1 Pro and did back the Yaw2 Pro. I like to play space sims (Lunar flight) and filght sims (helicopters) with the yaw 1 and hope that yaw 2 will be better than yaw 1 for racing sims.

2 Likes

Thanks buddy. Is your chair the 6dof model? How is it in IL 2? Do you have an idea on how much you want? Let me knowā€¦thanks again drownhunterā€¦take careā€¦Eddie.

1 Like

I only got the 2DOF standard version.

I figured I could always upgrade later. Especially that gravity platform.

If it werent for the shipping it be a sensible product.

1 Like

Yes , in an Ideal world they would ship locally from Amazon. Or appear in Best Buys for immediate purchase. :slight_smile:

I actually feel the same way about Fanatec products. In Canada i feel its crazy how inconvenient getting them is because of shipping. Not to mention if something goes wrong and you have to ship back to europe.

With the Yaw 2 I had missed out on YAW 1 and regretted it for a long time, especially when I saw what similar products cost.

Even with the shipping the chance to get the YAW2 was still cheaper than other offerings so I decided ā€œwhat the hellā€ knowing that if I was not impressed selling should be easy for such a in demand product.

I feel like its basically zero risk to check something off of my bucket list.

1 Like

I wonder what Growling Sidewinder would think of the YAW2.

Love that post as I am sure Iā€™ve been overthinking the simulationā€¦it is all about fun. I saw a monkey flying a sim in the movie ProjectX and thought ā€œthat looks like funā€ in 1987

(Spoiler: they nuke the monkey) hahaha

Want to sell your Yaw 1?

1 Like