Anyone else tried Subnautica, not working on Pimax 5K+

Thank you for your effort in helping me.
Ill let you know once i tried it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

your welcome… good luck

2 Likes

Cant get into the menu. Not with controller
Or Mouse keyboard.
Maybe i need to buy the steam version

1 Like

no i dont have the steam version and i managed it… but like i said further up… took me over a hour to get it, bit of trial and error, the menu is off the side of the screen, so you have to kind of look at it from the corner of the eye and then time your mouse click… it took a bit of messing around but when you get the option of headset as a pointer and you save it… it makes it easier.

2 Likes

Ight, ill keep trying thanks !

1 Like

Hi, @Neander i managed to get past the start screen with the Vive Wands and then activated the Controller + Selection by gaze. But I also have the rendering issues. Some effects only render in one eye, and obviously not correct. I has to be an issue with the parallel projection, but without the game is unplayable as the gui results in double vision.

Does anyone have an idea to fix it?

1 Like

There is no fix for the wrong shader rendering at the horizon.
This happens with all headsets except with my rift.
I still played 40+ hours and enjoyed it a lot.
Go to nexus mods and install the vr options (a must, fixes many vr-related things) and other mods you like.

2 Likes

I already did that, and I’m also going to install this aswell today : https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/adjofr/subnautica_vr_ultra_immersion_mods_no_popin_fix/

Nevertheless, the rendering Bug is really annoying. I didn’t noticed it with my Vive. I found a reddit where they’re discussing it and someone suggested it might be a FOV/Resolution issue. I’m wondering if it could be fixed with some proper value changes in a configuration file.

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

Hi, I’ve given the oculus store version a try with my pimax 5k and it works without the horizon bug. So it seems the bug is due to steamvr. Maybe there is a way to get the steam-version to start with pitools and oculus sdk.

But that said I already encountered another problem this way. I cound’t use my xbox controller. The axis where messed up. I cound’t even navigate up and down within the menu. But still I was able to start the campaign and have a look at the game itself. Neither under or above water was the horizon bug visible nor any other graphics bug. (maybe pop-in but that is fixable via mod) Sadly there is also some other downside. It seems with pitools and oculus sdk either the game drains more resources than the steamvr version or smoothing like it is used with oculus rift is simply disabled on the pimax. But it seems playable. (I used a RTX2080)

1 Like

Today I refunded my steam version of Subnautica. I wanted to play, but couldn’t even pass start screen. I do have index controllers only, and mouse and keyboard of course - booth do not work in vr. I do not want to buy ps4/xbox controller, as I rearly play anything 3rd person.
Also menu is displayed way to low, in floor level.

I heard Subnautica is beautiful game with some graphical problems. I wish I could play it.
It is better to write it for new players.

1 Like

Hi Joe

I don’t have Subnautica. But did find Everspace was unplayable in SteamVR mode. On the desktop of Steam was able to launch in Oculus mode via drop down launch options.

1 Like

Have no problems to play SubN - mouse only and pi8k / 8+

How can you click start on first screen? I tried with mouse, I red that pointer is invisible, so I was circling with mouse, and clicking; couldn’t start it. And even if I did, that is too much hasle for start 1 game.
@Heliosurge it had steam vr only, or desktop (flat) mode. Flat works, but I do not want to play flat any more. It is like buying new black and white only tv :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is no cursor… if you scroll up and down with your mouse, you can see some yellow points in the menue.
A Little Bit tricky (only the start menue)

btw, SN Looks amazing with 8k+ <3

3 Likes

Subnautica is a gem in vr. Finished it with the bug. Just do not tilt your head. Under water the bug is not so obvious. And turn off ambient occlusion in the graphics settings. This fixes another bug: different shadows in both eyes.

Of course install the vr-fixes from above. Makes the game even better.

Could be worth to try the “oculus trick” for steam-vr-games. I do not think buying the oculus version is necessary. I have only the epic games version and if i played it with my cv1 i did not have the shadow-horizon-bug.

I am now playing subnautica below zero via vorp-x. No issues whatsoever with z-3d. But my interest in practicallly playing the same game again is dimishing after 30+ hrs… a petty.

Btw: mouse pointer was normal when i played it. Must be a new bug? Recommend a x-box controller - i used one.

2 Likes

In the VR opening screen of the game you need to turn your head (like a mouse) to highlight “game” then press the mouse button to select it.

VR controllers are basically useless in Subnautica. I play with a game controller like an X-box controller and I recommend using the app Voice-Attack to replace all keyboard commands with voice commands. I would also recommend using the VR Mod from Nexus mod which resolves many VR issues in Subnautica since Subnautica was not actually originally created to be a VR game. Subnautica is one of my favorite VR games and I enjoy playing it with my 8K still…

2 Likes