Any new Firmware or PiTool out since the recent update a month or so ago? (8Kx)

Trying to search the forums, but I dont see anything since.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I think there is a pitool 273 but most have said ti stick to 272.

Though 273 does claim to optimize Amazon customer experience. :laughing:

7 Likes

I don’t want to start another thread about firmware so i’ll ask here:
I have the 8kx firmware where 90hz refresh rate produces flashing off/on image in the headset. People have got around this by manually flashing another firmware version. However i havent bothered doing this as i dont use 90hz, will this be a problem with further automatic firmware updates? I doubt it but just want to clarify.

3 Likes

The 90hz has yet to have a complete fix. Some seem to have decent results while others get flashing.

3 Likes

As i dont use 90hz, and through fear of me bricking my headset through manually flashing :joy:, im not going to manually flash the better/working firmware. I’ll just wait for the next automatic updated fw that hopefully fixes the issue.

3 Likes

Hey - since you are the best person to tell - I had BAD flashing, even on the Pimax logo screen. Here is how I fixed it completely (even after bricking it by trying to stop the auto-firmware update lol):
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-273-and-firmware-299/37462/9?u=rygar1976

2 Likes

Thank you. I hope pimax really focuses on fixing these firmware issues. And stop releasing multiple firmwares with the same firmware number version.

It is baffling that pimax has not released a new pitool and firmware to address the last poor release. @PimaxQuorra @hammerhead_gal and please ensure there are actual release notes that match the quality that @arminelec @ @SweViver were doing with The now defunct Pimax Experience. There release notes are very professional and the quality that pimax should be striving for.

6 Likes

Hello,

Indeed, the Pitool team is actually working on a newer version. Wouldn’t repeat the same mistake that 273V happened.
Besides that, the release note will be in a proper presentation.

8 Likes

Wait that’s no longer a thing? The silence had worried me… :cry:

2 Likes

Why did they kill Pimax Experience ?

On another thread @SweViver said:

the work on PE has been on-hold for a while because of various reasons Im not able to discuss here. The project is not dead, but we need a plan how to operate it, keep it stable and improve and maintain all old/new features.

PE is a piece of software that promises to make owning a Pimax HMD an enjoyable experience for a much broader range of customers. Any chance of an update on this from @SweViver or @PimaxQuorra or @hammerhead_gal ?

4 Likes

Hello,

We have recently updated the PE status.

6 Likes

Frankly, that is what it should always have been. I look forward to hearing about progress - will there be a public beta?

2 Likes

Well yes in a way. But had pimax released a proper opensource pitool interface as promised we’d have had PE like interfaces and more ie pitool overlay in Steam(fir settings tgat di bot require SteamVR to be reloaded).

Since pimax has started working on the 12k we gave seem a decline in pitool and firmware releases. They bumped the team that was working on the controllers.

Imho PE should have been allowed to continue as it was not taking up resources and proper opensource or sdk for pitool interface. As it is we have seemed to have an undetermined delay on ipd wizard(if it even gets released)

Yes pimax should have been working on there own flavor. Had they opensourced as planned they could have merged desirable pull requests and adapted features from forks. So 1 step forward and 2 back.

5 Likes

In any case it’s time to have solid sw and fw state that a average user just downloads, installs and gets alle the features and stuff. For the nerds of us that’s a bit of extra fun, but many of my friends wan’t the plug and play experience - no fiddling unless you want to squeeze out extra performance or quality, then it’s nice that you can do it.
It’s also a necessary step for a good 12k launch, so that it will work on day one out of the box.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.