Any crazy people want to try this mod out on the 5k+? (Double perceived pixel density)

7 Likes

LCD projector companies are doing this to make their 1080p projectors seem like 4K. It might work on the 5K since RGB stripe where there are no subpixels but dont think it would work with the 8K since has subpixels unless sub pixels are all the same distance apart. Pretty cool concept :beers:

1 Like

Nifty but would rather use Nvidia’s Cascaded displays.

3 Likes

Very interesting :thinking::thinking::thinking:

TLDR

Very small (linear resonant) actuators attach to the screen to shake it 1/2 pixel back and forth with each frame, Giving the illusion of higher pixel density.

4 Likes

I thought of this technique before but thought the headset would then have a permanent buzz or humm which would be annoying

3 Likes

Like the O+ likely increase blur/softened image.

Doesn’t seem to be the case. From the pictures it seems to increase clarity a lot without any noticeable blurring.

1 Like

Keep in mind pics are stills. But I would be a curious if they might affect sensors though. Need to test hmd with 3dof to see.

this is dope!

…

1 Like

I think he attached the servos to the lenses

1 Like

Thing is, this doesn’t add computational costs, so it would be worthwhile. If you did this and had a cascaded display, that would be insane.

1 Like

Yes, servos are attached to the lenses. This essentially is like pixel shift for projectors. This is actually a good idea. The really interesting thing is though, that you could vibrate the displays on the Pimax, so mechanically, it would be simpler.

1 Like

Apparently, you could feed this an interlaced signal and save bandwidth while also getting the super resolution effect. In effect, you feed the display 4 standard images with the pixel offset on each axis, and you get a 4x super resolution.

What makes this really insane is that it doesn’t increase the cost of the displays. You dont need to have one of those new LG 1400 ppi panels to get rid of SDE. The 5K plus with its RGB subpixel arrangement would be great for this. Where the work would happen would be in subpixel rendering to compensate for the motion.

Just tested this with my Gear VR. This would absolutely work, but the rendering would definitely need to be adjusted to compensate for the screen vibration. This is basically physically vacillating the display or lenses very very fast, and then making sure the images are synchronized to the direction of vibration at any given time via offset pixels. Its exactly like fancy pixel shifting.

In fact, Oculus claimed when CV1 launched that the micro movements of your head, coupled with a 90hz display would have a minor super resolution effect.

This is like that, but on purpose, and if you could succeed, you could more than quadruple the display resolution, because you would have motion on all four axis’ of the display.

I think you would need to have an interlacing algorithm that gave you a warp and weft pattern for the desired image, where each line of the interlaced image would have a 1/2 pixel offset for all four directions. That way, when motion happens, the super resolution effect works.

2 Likes