Amd gpu performances

Hello everyone, SPS aside, how are the AMD gpus performing?
If I get a 6800xt or 6900xt coming from a GTX1080 will I get a decent performance bump?
My current pc has a 5800x cpu, x570 motherboard and 32gb ram.
Thank you
Daniele

Even if it performed like a 4090 I would still advise caution, as Pimax features may not work as intended, (or at all) with non nVidia GPUs.

The Mysticle youtube link has an amd though,i think he has the one you mentioned and seems to be happy. Then again I don’t think he even knows what FFR is.

This topic has some info and fellows that can answer your questions.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/6900xt-8kx-90hz-native-4k-working/35759?u=heliosurge

1 Like

Good to see the Pimax HMDs are at least working now with AMD cards. It’s looking more and more like they will offer more bang for the buck when I can finally replace my 2080 Super which is really holding me back currently in terms of VR performance, and it will be nice to be able to put my $ towards whichever company is offering the best performance for the dollar at that time (regardless what which brand it turns out to be), instead of being stuck with a specific make.

I went from a 1080ti to a 6900xt and my frames went up about 2 - 2.5x however, asw, and motion smoothing aren’t working, so even though performance is great, user experience is kind of bad

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll have to make the best decision possible at the time of course, and if major features don’t work at that time I’ll have to stick with NVIDIA. At this rate it will be another year (or more) before current-gen video cards drop to MSRP prices. Right now an elderly AMD RX580 board is almost 2X the cost it was two year ago! So hopefully everything Pimax will be working properly on both NVIDIA and AMD by then. I expect a lot of other companies are in the same boat, having counted AMD out of the game, but all of a sudden they stormed back. I sure never, ever, thought I would be building an AMD-based machine, but I just rebuilt my machine around a Ryzen 5900x. If I had to choose right now, and wasn’t limited by my Pimax HMD, I would go Radeon without a doubt; faster performance per dollar and very importantly they usually include more VRAM at any given price point.

1 Like

Well unfortunately until more recently Amd has had poor VR utilization with there cards.

When the pimax wide fov headsets launched vega, rx480, rx580 cards were a complete mess. And Amd knew it. It was very surprising my r9 390 8g work great to the point if I had known I would have waited instead of buying a 1080ti prior to receiving. At launch the above series of cards were unplayable.

A friend of mine whom has deep ties with Amd checked with them and had it confirmed majority of issues were on the Amd driver side. It is looking up with the new cards and I suspect between the new features still be rolled out on Amd gpus and new agnostic things in DX and vulkan we will see less gaps in features in vr. Only time will show for sure.

The consoles of course demonstrate what can be accomplished with amd.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.